Accounting for VAT re cycle to work scheme
My client has just set up a cycle to work scheme and I need some help with how to account for it. For schemes entered into since July 2011, the employer must account for VAT on the amount of salary sacrificed each month. According to the cycle scheme operator, the amount of salary sacrificed is the gross amount, so the VAT to be paid by the employer should be 1/6th of that.
On purchasing the bike I think the entries will be dr bike (net amt), dr vat (vat amt), cr bank (gross amt), so the employer gets to reclaim the vat.
The bike is then loaned to the employee, and in return his gross salary over a 12 month period is reduced by the gross cost of the bike (1/12th of the total cost each month).
So say the salary sacrificed is £120 per month, the employer needs to pay over to HMRC vat of £20 each month. The vat entry must be cr vat £20, but what are the other entries?! There is no actual cash being transferred between the employer and the employee, and the bike remains owned by the employer.
Does anyone have experience of this?
- VAT on part of a closed pub 188 12
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 242 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 181 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 169 5
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 255 6
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 90 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 167 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 304 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 204 6
- SME Direct Debit 678 11
- Accountant software 442 13
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,034 23
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 198 3
- Accounting jobs in the UK 167 2
- CIS gross status review 124 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 133 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 379 6
- Flat rate vat error 250 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 109 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 381 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 762
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 485
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 302
- How to format a stock book 266
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 215
- Tax efficient holding company structure 206
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 199
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 175
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165