Accrue for VAT on purchases?
I have started a small business and am pulling together the monthly management accounts for the Board but am coming across a number of probably very simple accounting/book keeping problems.
The first I have a dilemma over is the treatment of VAT on monthly accrued expenses, should this be recorded as follows?
1. DR P&L expense: £100
2. CR Balance sheet accruals: £120
3. DR Balance sheet VAT debtor: £20
OR should I ignore VAT as I don't have an invoice for the accrued expense?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 124 3
- Interest, surcharges and interest on late payment of tax 91 2
- Client's company struck off 413 10
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 252 7
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 136 5
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 120 3
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 102 3
- Anyone had this problem?? 659 19
- Input VAT suffered in EU 151 3
- Investment property? 60 2
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,516 23
- Sole Trader Cessation 135 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 323 6
- Does AE staging date cease with transfer of business? 78 1
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 407 9
- Overtime etc for PT employees 97 1
- First Choice Final Accounts 234 1
- Complex VAT Group 331 6
- Pre-registration VAT: can you reclaim VATon delivery costs incurred in the six months prior to registration? 96 3
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 327 1
- QROP pension input amounts 468
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 418
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 407
- fraud 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 257
- EPS and CIS deductions 242
- Construction CIS LLP Company 240
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 194
- SAGE winforecast 166
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 165