Accrue for VAT on purchases?
I have started a small business and am pulling together the monthly management accounts for the Board but am coming across a number of probably very simple accounting/book keeping problems.
The first I have a dilemma over is the treatment of VAT on monthly accrued expenses, should this be recorded as follows?
1. DR P&L expense: £100
2. CR Balance sheet accruals: £120
3. DR Balance sheet VAT debtor: £20
OR should I ignore VAT as I don't have an invoice for the accrued expense?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
- Long/Short Period of Account 72 3
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 320 7
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 194 6
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,304 15
- Another HMRC Cock Up 669 7
- Directors' advances and credits 320 1
- HMRC Statements 303 5
- NEST web services & Moneysoft 514 7
- Goodwill on incorporation low level valuations 225 3
- Transfering bank balnces between old and new co. 349 10
- Best software for small practice? 396 12
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,203 19
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 179 3
- VAT and CT issues on splitting of business 286 6
- Costly Accounting Software contract 446 2
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 246 3
- Company Number 10000000 652 5
- Any update on 2016/17 employer NIC allowance and directors? 238 2
- Car benefit or not? 2,345 21
- Cloud-based email services? 588 11
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 757
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 449
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 267
- DTA tie-breaker issue 260
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 242
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 219
- CGT for NOn UK residents 214
- Apprenticeship Levy 191
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 190
- Capital Gains personal representatives 174