Accrue for VAT on purchases?
I have started a small business and am pulling together the monthly management accounts for the Board but am coming across a number of probably very simple accounting/book keeping problems.
The first I have a dilemma over is the treatment of VAT on monthly accrued expenses, should this be recorded as follows?
1. DR P&L expense: £100
2. CR Balance sheet accruals: £120
3. DR Balance sheet VAT debtor: £20
OR should I ignore VAT as I don't have an invoice for the accrued expense?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 470 18
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 92 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,102 7
- Bereavment payment 72 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 271 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 342 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,292 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 144 2
- Companies House incorporation service 346 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 74 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 146 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 191 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 201 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 260 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 141 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 150 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,598 12
- Share Capital 129 2
- Trading income or not? 194 1
- Charge HMRC 421 3
- Xtuple 547
- Qtac payroll for bureau 375
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 316
- Industrial & Provident Societies 313
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 290
- CIS schemes 221
- Domain name sale and limited company 205
- Investment 185
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 184
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 178