Accrue for VAT on purchases?
I have started a small business and am pulling together the monthly management accounts for the Board but am coming across a number of probably very simple accounting/book keeping problems.
The first I have a dilemma over is the treatment of VAT on monthly accrued expenses, should this be recorded as follows?
1. DR P&L expense: £100
2. CR Balance sheet accruals: £120
3. DR Balance sheet VAT debtor: £20
OR should I ignore VAT as I don't have an invoice for the accrued expense?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
- VAT and customer entertaining 226 3
- The importance of Grammar 1,337 41
- Moneysoft - technical query 479 13
- tax saving on card points 256 7
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 222 6
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,268 11
- Xero Pain Points 552 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 137 2
- Best way to draw a salary? 706 12
- PI cover 246 4
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 954 15
- VAT - How hard is it? 739 26
- Profit split from an investment property 187 6
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,442 39
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 172 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 278 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 268 9
- Scissors 896 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 445 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 465 10
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 373
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 330
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 308
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 300
- Electric Car 250
- S222 Charge 219
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 215
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 177