Accrue for VAT on purchases?
I have started a small business and am pulling together the monthly management accounts for the Board but am coming across a number of probably very simple accounting/book keeping problems.
The first I have a dilemma over is the treatment of VAT on monthly accrued expenses, should this be recorded as follows?
1. DR P&L expense: £100
2. CR Balance sheet accruals: £120
3. DR Balance sheet VAT debtor: £20
OR should I ignore VAT as I don't have an invoice for the accrued expense?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,589 16
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 70 3
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 218 2
- Corporation tax - group relief on 75% subsidiary 103 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 463 7
- Unpaid company directors and self employment 159 2
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 393 2
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 155 2
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 429 13
- Real names 972 32
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 282 7
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,649 10
- Best apps for clients 176 2
- Theatre as charitable company 137 3
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 293 2
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 426 12
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 339 1
- Fixed Assets 185 2
- CGT on Sale of shop 175 2
- Dividend payment date 2,049 36
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 574
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 443
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 349
- IFA incorporation 329
- Sorry ignore me 288
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 268
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 255
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 250
- Cancelled 192
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 160