Accrue for VAT on purchases?
I have started a small business and am pulling together the monthly management accounts for the Board but am coming across a number of probably very simple accounting/book keeping problems.
The first I have a dilemma over is the treatment of VAT on monthly accrued expenses, should this be recorded as follows?
1. DR P&L expense: £100
2. CR Balance sheet accruals: £120
3. DR Balance sheet VAT debtor: £20
OR should I ignore VAT as I don't have an invoice for the accrued expense?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 10 1
- Compensation payment and child benefit 41 2
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 168 2
- Accommodation allowance - emergency workers 75 1
- RTI 264 7
- HMRC - Generic Notification Notice 29 1
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 178 5
- Am i Liable? 586 15
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 158 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 424 4
- RTI Easement Until 2016 90 2
- Altered PAYE cheque 376 8
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 362 9
- Write off of former director's loan 693 10
- Added years superannuation 101 3
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 45 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 798 19
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 335 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,076 64
- Sole trader - bank statements 253 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,254
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 619
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 322
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 230
- Alphabet shares 206
- Agent fees to sell business 197
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 196
- Office recharges 157
- Tax position on lease extension 146