Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- How much did you pay for your website 1,381 23
- What would you do in this situation? 546 13
- Help Required 337 10
- Dress code 179 7
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 246 10
- directors control and tax problems 172 5
- Fastest Software 763 13
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 929 28
- What's in a name ? 302 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 233 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 424 15
- Bulk Invoicing 170 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 148 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 243 2
- ATED Penalties 272 1
- late second payment on account 173 2
- US royalties 96 2
- Project being run jointly 137 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 183 2
- Sole trader mix up 306 4
- CTA study material 703
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 426
- Employment related securities question 268
- AIM Stocks and IHT 246
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 200
- Trust for Employee 187
- Expat pension contributions? 186
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 176
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 158
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 142