Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,133 52
- Window Comb Binder Cover 144 3
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 79 1
- client can't/won't pay 382 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 145 6
- AIA 139 4
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 242 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 252 9
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 279 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,179 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 240 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 189 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 544 26
- HMRC SA software error? 143 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 168 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 265 14
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 199 6
- Treatment of income for sole trader 169 2
- wave software 129 1
- Freelance software consultant 340 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 786
- Copy Wanted 500
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 456
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 453
- Latest phishing scam 287
- Entrepreneurs' relief 271
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 268
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 249
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 240
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 235