Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 455 19
- valuation of vehicles 365 16
- Director registration for SA question 357 14
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 161 5
- Business only use of company car 662 26
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 54 2
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 493 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 278 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 914 29
- New Company reviews please 522 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 277 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 171 2
- VAT with Russia 185 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 228 4
- Money Laundering Manual 295 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 233 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,093 29
- directors loan 327 8
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 361 4
- CIS not deducted 348 5
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 289
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 239
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 237
- Any thoughts on Capium? 215
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 214
- auto enrolment 183
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 174
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 150
- How to account for investment in JV? 148
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 145