Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Reimbursing director travel costs 264 4
- Client Paperwork Retention? 147 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,305 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,374 19
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 313 2
- Friday Question 485 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 376 8
- Independent Examination work programme 100 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 528 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 216 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 219 7
- Employers NI allowance 175 2
- What is the best way to buy commercial property these days 287 5
- Auto Enrolment 232 2
- Tax Point as opposed to VAT point 191 2
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,916 30
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 203 2
- Outside the scope VAT box 6 249 7
- Swimming Pool Income 351 4
- Coming off flat rate VAT 321 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 488
- DTA tie-breaker issue 291
- CGT for NOn UK residents 259
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 241
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 236
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 228
- Apprenticeship Levy 227
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 216
- Just checking re PSA 210
- Capital Gains personal representatives 203