Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Commission on holiday accrual 73 1
- error on companies house accounts 121 4
- Newly Started Practice 197 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 160 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 188 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 195 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 103 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 99 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 349 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 234 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 171 2
- Generic Notification Notices 130 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 452 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 118 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 437 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 97 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 247 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 149 1
- fraud 418 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 245 3
- QROP pension input amounts 477
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 441
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 418
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 269
- EPS and CIS deductions 261
- Construction CIS LLP Company 248
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 215
- SAGE winforecast 181
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166