Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Overpayment relief claim 19 1
- Flat rate vat error 379 8
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 119 5
- do I have to pay NI? 200 3
- Aggressive HMRC 1,324 15
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,447 61
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 78 2
- How to format a stock book 382 2
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 249 8
- Investment property company accounts template 255 1
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 336 6
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 68 2
- Quickbooks expert needed 132 2
- Charity reserves 77 1
- Have i messed up? 459 7
- Related Parties Note 323 6
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 353 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,350 16
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 476 26
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 263 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 980
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 539
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 355
- Tax efficient holding company structure 280
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 263
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 196
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 176
- Personal consumption by landlord 171
- Interest on Loan to a Company 162