Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- The stupidity continues 409 16
- transactions after account have been closed 76 2
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,308 25
- New Employers Helpline 178 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 156 3
- Software recommendations 239 1
- Share transfer question 354 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 293 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 155 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,402 19
- Overlap relief 749 19
- What is IRIS World like? 348 8
- Pension contributions 364 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 147 4
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 479 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 169 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 474 9
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 265 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 205 1
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 565 10
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 434
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 430
- WIP Software 293
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 287
- No payroll scheme in place 231
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 205
- Is there anything wrong with this? 196
- Small Part Disposal of Property 181
- Uncommercial property business 175