Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Cash in Hand 161 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 190 5
- are receipts needed? 635 17
- SA302's anyone?? 621 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 334 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 137 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 356 12
- Busines software 171 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 204 6
- Converting a barn for business use 189 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 318 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 323 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 492 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 330 3
- Bookkeping software 733 7
- Clogged Losses 284 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 279 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 665 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 278 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 132 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 522
- NOVA 373
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 329
- Management expenses for investment company 276
- Bonus Bonds 273
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 186
- P11D benefit received by widow 166
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 163
- EXACT ONLINE 162