Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 882 42
- Tier One Tribunal 97 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 798 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 108 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 63 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 244 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 125 2
- Another transfer of property 120 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 209 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 94 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 565 11
- LEL and PAYE registration 92 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 167 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 180 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 555 14
- SA316s 220 3
- Swiching tax 544 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 532 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 393 11
- Start-up cost recognition 130 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 612
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 594
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 357
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 294
- Using the correct forms 268
- RTI - duplicate employee record 264
- SA penalty proposals 258
- Accelerated payment notices 238
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 235