Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- B2B vat in the EU 138 3
- Why should I retain membership? 2,732 47
- Coding Notice 160 4
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 139 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 127 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 448 7
- Vat 279 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,277 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 346 7
- Recharge for private use of a company car 190 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 164 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,491 18
- CT/CIS offset 146 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 193 4
- Trade name 194 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 143 1
- New business - journal entries 323 20
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 319 18
- VAT on deposits 212 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 147 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 820
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 711
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 392
- Social investment tax relief 210
- Digita Hosted Software 205
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 163
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 149
- accounting for this transaction 143