Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,465 5
- How much does the company pay 81 2
- Help with CGT please 89 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 123 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 310 6
- Benefit in Kind 306 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 324 17
- Will I need to resign? 945 11
- Cocaine anyone? 671 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 259 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 163 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 205 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 181 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 853 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 551 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 725 13
- Personal pension 455 9
- Business rates consultancy 274 4
- Wrong tax code 194 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 116 2
- Hive up 519
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 478
- corporate hierarchy 457
- Advice - 301
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 249
- WWOOFers 245
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 224
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 200
- The booking.com con 189
- Cocaine anyone? 173