Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 19 1
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 171 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 296 12
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 357 15
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 365 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 82 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 193 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 338 8
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 153 4
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 199 2
- Builder using cash labour 137 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 224 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 446 11
- Was I rude 840 20
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 220 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 299 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 218 6
- Non-compete agreement 195 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 213 1
- Any views 749 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,487
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 301
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 211
- Bonus Bonds 181
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172