Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Error in audited accounts 122 2
- Pratice Management Software 167 3
- Use of home query 98 2
- IT advisory questions? 261 7
- signature required 549 22
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 261 6
- Vat registration exception 201 3
- CIS software 96 2
- Homing sandwiches 477 11
- CT600 137 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 191 7
- Settlement discount 157 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 520 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 194 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 178 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 137 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 221 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 141 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 192 2
- Related Party Transactions 133 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,253
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 821
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 526
- Digita Hosted Software 342
- Credit where credit's due....... 318
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 245
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 202
- TheTax Donut 185
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 166
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 165