Accruing illegal dividends
Owner-managed consultancy business, sole shareholder, company is £1k insolvent. No creditors whatsoever, other than my fees and a £2k directors loan account in credit!
Director has taken a £7k salary during the year and has no other income, he wants to issue himself a £25k dividend in order to make use of his personal tax bands this year, the dividend will simply be credited to his directors loan account and drawn down in future years when the company starts making some money.
I've briefed him on the fact that it would be illegal dividends and that should the company go into liquidation in future then he would have to repay the dividend, however he now knows the risks and to be honest the business will never go into liquidation, it's simply a consultancy business just outside of IR35 territory.
As far as I'm concerned I feel that I've covered my back with regards to giving advice, which will also be given in writing.
Can HMRC object to this? The dividend will one day be paid. Would welcome some thoughts on the practicalities of this please. And also does anyone else put a note in the accounts stating that an illegal dividend has been issued or is that considered overkill? No banks or suppliers will be relying on these accounts so a note doesn't really concern the client.
- Software recommendations? 280 4
- Goodie bag 116 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 187 5
- Husband Wife let property 137 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 439 8
- Career in Practice 118 2
- Relevant life plan 340 8
- Limited Company expenses 374 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 193 6
- Telemarketing 161 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 152 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 139 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 180 3
- how to value rental space 101 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 327 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 69 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 463 5
- Output tax for retailer 262 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 449 11
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,932 32
- Possible Partnership? 601
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 500
- New Fangled Penalties 408
- Clubs and Taxable Income 330
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 297
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 252
- Loans to other companies 243
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 211
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 209
- Outsource Data Entry 206