Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 844 18
- NALS Accountants Report 91 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,462 35
- Legal title not in the company name 261 10
- Dividend dates 556 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 116 3
- Sole properietor 161 4
- transitioning payroll 230 8
- dividend proposals 96 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 225 2
- Deduction from Salary 290 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 186 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,722 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 86 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 435 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 157 2
- 12 Pay Problems 249 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 250 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 87 1
- Redudancy 92 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 622
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 271
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 230
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 230
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 175