Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 175 4
- SA302 299 7
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 259 4
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 278 13
- Bringing money to Uk 255 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 266 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 194 4
- Go Cardless 340 9
- Hmrc software 232 3
- Mehjoo 274 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 124 1
- Hosted email exchange 176 5
- South African Government Pension 182 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 300 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 311 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 247 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 152 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 291 7
- New Email Extensions 211 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 326 2
- Xtuple 512
- Qtac payroll for bureau 351
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 295
- Industrial & Provident Societies 286
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 187
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 185
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 169
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 147