Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 99 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 585 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 606 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 64 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 335 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 232 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 215 5
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 82 2
- Sole trader hid directorships. 363 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,378 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 275 5
- NOVA 546 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 259 10
- Regional Development Grant 108 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,368 21
- Company car without a salary 218 2
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 385 10
- Charity donations 1,062 21
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 142 2
- VAT on finance leases 198 3
- Bonus Bonds 389
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 376
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 287
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 255
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 184
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 169
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 147
- Demerger Reserve 129