Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 127 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 330 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 215 3
- FreeAgent question 109 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 137 2
- CIS monthly returns 185 2
- Goodie bag 1,556 52
- Husband Wife let property 353 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 503 12
- Output tax for retailer 317 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 287 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 141 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 139 1
- CT600 Advice 144 1
- Fair Value Accounting 83 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 161 4
- can I approach clients ? 413 8
- Companies House Penalties 154 2
- Apostille documents 120 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 548 13
- Possible Partnership? 644
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 519
- New Fangled Penalties 449
- Fuming! 384
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 318
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 257
- Outsource Data Entry 242
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 238
- Moving away from CCH software 230
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 177