Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Free accounts system for small business? 368 7
- VAT on converting Commercial property to residential 55 3
- It gets worse ! 342 2
- PCTR for Audit Qualification 86 1
- Building premises bought on 99 year lease 76 1
- Client refusing to change basis period 183 6
- Companies House Authentication code 204 9
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,980 66
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 175 2
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 461 8
- Payroll Software Recommendations 310 10
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 343 15
- saturday staff 409 4
- Sports Club - Option to tax 53 1
- Highlighting a line on cell click 63 4
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,449 42
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 525 12
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 648 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 351 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 266 3
- Xtuple 587
- Qtac payroll for bureau 412
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 357
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 230
- Tax on damages received 211
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 174
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 166
- PTP Software 157
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141
- Software for Belgium Company 140