Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 828 19
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 589 16
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 129 2
- Partnership returns software 115 2
- Tasks for new trainees 180 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 288 10
- VAT on garage rent 158 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 103 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 172 3
- Property scam victim 330 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 257 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 69 1
- Have i messed up? 763 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 431 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 64 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 128 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 85 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 94 1
- Offshore insurance bonds 112 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,664 46
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,102
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 579
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 387
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 292
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 191
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157