Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- S.455 Tax again 302 4
- Closing down loss-making company 659 12
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 337 14
- Tips on meals 450 4
- co-operatives & Societies 49 1
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 564 7
- HMRC having technical difficulties 1,170 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,451 40
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 185 4
- Website Content 433 6
- Company restructure - Share valuation, ERS and PAYE 176 3
- Directors in dispute 126 1
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 697 12
- Incorporated company charity 140 2
- property capital gains 335 3
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 438 5
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 430 2
- Director owns 47% of shares in company A and 100% of shares in Company B. Is Company B a participator in Company A for S455 purposes? 260 2
- Stumped - IHT 494 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 593 12