Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 942 29
- You know its over 317 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 482 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 207 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 162 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 150 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 226 3
- Cocaine anyone? 498 8
- Late Registration for VAT 480 13
- EIS/SEIS 135 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 269 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 409 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 416 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 708 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 550 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 583 4
- Personal pension 398 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 220 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,213 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 167 3
- Hive up 489
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 453
- corporate hierarchy 433
- Advice - 270
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 223
- WWOOFers 216
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 205
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 193
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 175
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 172