Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Software for Accounts layout 380 8
- Income prior to company formation 354 10
- rental property, pre letting costs 161 4
- Staff 159 3
- VAT on farm machinery sold 362 7
- Non-resident company director 106 2
- are we that stupid 956 21
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 145 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 743 13
- letter of reference 195 3
- Can this be done? 191 1
- Capital Allowance & AIA 127 1
- Foster Care 127 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 351 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 103 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 303 3
- Flat Management Company 217 1
- Share structure questions - close company 196 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 182 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 345 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 331
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 251
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 217
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 217
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 161
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 155
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 153
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148