Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Donations (to a school!) 42 3
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 448 10
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 58 3
- Beaters and allowable exenses 92 2
- Family loan 224 7
- Repairs after a rental business ends 136 5
- Standard 'email' template system 621 10
- Shutting down a company with creditors 677 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,699 248
- FL Memo - Any Good 471 8
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 27 1
- VAT Romania - how to register 170 3
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 301 8
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 227 4
- Looking for subcontract work! 235 5
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 187 9
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,654 39
- Consolidation of new group 76 2
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 252 3
- Recycle old study books 451 11
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,080
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 351
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 293
- National Insurance 252
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 227
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 227
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 212
- Payments on account coded out?? 211
- Non Resident 170
- Franchise income and costs 158