Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- P11D Rejection 367 9
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 518 14
- Selling a practice 342 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,267 20
- Incapable of reading 123 1
- How to pay national insurance 141 2
- Overlap relief 461 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 115 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 82 1
- Dormant payroll 838 9
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 177 5
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 136 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,334 21
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 624 13
- PPR exemption on separation 146 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,549 10
- Intercompany loans 111 1
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 181 3
- Limited Company 341 11
- Sage renewals and terminations 133 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 442
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 346
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 336
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 311
- Perkbox 274
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 242
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 242
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 237
- Document Management Systems 215
- WIP Software 199