Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 241 8
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 139 6
- Company dividends 478 14
- dividend versus capital distribution 134 3
- Private Residence Relief after gift 210 4
- EIS reinvestment relief 105 4
- Advice on letting a client go ? 409 6
- Paying the £30,000 remittance basis charge 96 2
- ITTOIA 2005 s629 183 7
- Receipt bank 216 5
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 204 3
- Declaration of interest 56 1
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,745 91
- Unbelievable!! 521 3
- Relevant earnings and losses 171 4
- Non resident income. 326 16
- Knuckle down one week to go! 1,199 23
- Urgent question on company accounting period before it become dormant 116 2
- Do we have to register for VAT? 266 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 292 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 865
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 557
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 523
- Latest phishing scam 433
- Entrepreneurs' relief 396
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 347
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 325
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 310
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 232
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 206