Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Keeping disastrous accounts 262 4
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,841 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 217 3
- Payments on account 52 1
- On the high seas 73 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 121 2
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 529 11
- RTI Payroll ID 961 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 840 34
- Payroll question 109 2
- Where has Portia gone? 4,779 106
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 251 5
- Warning - "Central Register of Companies" con 191 3
- Overlap profit 233 4
- Goodwill On Incorporation 126 1
- CT600 for first year UK company trading abroad 177 13
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 339 5
- micro entity balance sheet query 290 6
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 645 19
- VAT flat rate scheme 550 9
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 838
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 439
- Sanzar 335
- How do you do it 329
- Digital marketing focus group 309
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 285
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 201
- new investor structure 194
- Fit for purpose 194
- VAT Registration 175