Acquisition cost for inherited item from a spouse?
Basically the current position is a husband and wife are in a 50:50 partnership.
The husband has found out he has weeks to live. Due to this the business will eventually be sold.
The advice the client's are receiving from elsewhere is
1. For the wife to gift her share to her husband (so no CGT as husband and wife transfer so no gain/no loss).
2. The husband will then leave the 100% of the business to the wife in his will (So no IHT on leaving to his wife).
3. The wife will now have acquired at the current market value from her husband therefore there will be no CGT payable, when it is sold.
I would have assumed that in the circumstances there would have been a provision that the wife would just be treated as having acquired the business back at their initial costs, so effectively she would just get the whole gain in her hands.
Everything I read though, suggests that the CGT could be avoided by using the above advice. If it was this simple though, I would have thought it would have been a very widespread "trick".
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Partially exempt? 233 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 78 1
- First VAT Visit for client 198 4
- Dividend in specie 219 7
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 152 8
- Lorry Drivers 129 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 47 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 74 1
- Mexican student in UK 111 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 189 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 288 12
- payroll software 92 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,044 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 85 1
- Pricing 326 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 244 5
- VAT 115 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 848 18
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 645 7
- Rental Income Tax Planning 211 3
- Skandia using wrong address 479
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 275
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 271
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 218
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 210
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 201
- Etax Australian 169
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 157