Agency and IR35 implications
My technical knowledge on IR35 is not great and I do not fully understand implications of the following;
A potential new client is a sub contractor, involved in street lighting on new builds, and has a contract for services with an agency , who pays my client a gross weekly wage ( no tax or NI deductions), based on his timesheet, less their admin fee for payroll and PL insurance fee. The agency's client is a UK company, who has many contracts for street lighting, and my client will be working for them for the next few years. The written contract, with the agency, is a contract for services and includes all the usual IR35 clauses e.g. substitution clause. My client has also signed a declaration form, with the agency, to say he meets the criteria of IR56 i.e. a self employed status declaration. The blurb from the street lighting company says that 'The agency is CIS compliant which enables sub contractors to work for long term periods rather than the 6 months usually allowed to those paying tax through CIS'.
Firstly does the above indicate that the contract falls outside of IR35?
Secondly my potential client says some of his colleagues have set of Ltd companies to save tax. I want to say yes go ahead, set up a company, you will save around £5,000 in NI, but I do not fully understand the IR35 implications. If the above does indicate the contract falls outisde of IR35 then is it ok to advise to set up a limited cmpany as the agency is doing as much as possible to ensure the contract is outside the scope of IR35?
Secondly should the Revenue investigate and determine the contract is within IR35, who might get stung for extra tax and NI, if a) he remains as sole trader or B) he sets up his own limited company.
Thirdly a question on the deemed payment, is any corporation tax paid through a limited company credited towards any additional PAYE and NI due on a deemed payment or is CT paid irrelevant?
Fourthly, there is a declaration to opt out of the conduct regulations 2003. I have no idea on the implications of this ?
Any advice to point me in the right direction greatly appreciated.
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 155 4
- BTC Software 153 7
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,165 18
- New Practice 303 18
- Change of director first name on Annual Return 81 1
- CGT on second home? 71 3
- Myfirmsapp 688 17
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 258 6
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 204 6
- Feedback on Kashflow and VAT 55 1
- Sage reporting 51 2
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 77 2
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 859 29
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 484 12
- Taxfiler V's BTC 673 25
- Directors loan accounts 138 4
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 267 4
- Goods Purchased for Rental 544 29
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 106 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 2,004 25
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,011
- International interest certificate 589
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 516
- NOVA 473
- Bonus Bonds 357
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 337
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 258
- Payment for Promotional Samples 232
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 224
- Quickbooks 2015 154