Agency and IR35 implications
My technical knowledge on IR35 is not great and I do not fully understand implications of the following;
A potential new client is a sub contractor, involved in street lighting on new builds, and has a contract for services with an agency , who pays my client a gross weekly wage ( no tax or NI deductions), based on his timesheet, less their admin fee for payroll and PL insurance fee. The agency's client is a UK company, who has many contracts for street lighting, and my client will be working for them for the next few years. The written contract, with the agency, is a contract for services and includes all the usual IR35 clauses e.g. substitution clause. My client has also signed a declaration form, with the agency, to say he meets the criteria of IR56 i.e. a self employed status declaration. The blurb from the street lighting company says that 'The agency is CIS compliant which enables sub contractors to work for long term periods rather than the 6 months usually allowed to those paying tax through CIS'.
Firstly does the above indicate that the contract falls outside of IR35?
Secondly my potential client says some of his colleagues have set of Ltd companies to save tax. I want to say yes go ahead, set up a company, you will save around £5,000 in NI, but I do not fully understand the IR35 implications. If the above does indicate the contract falls outisde of IR35 then is it ok to advise to set up a limited cmpany as the agency is doing as much as possible to ensure the contract is outside the scope of IR35?
Secondly should the Revenue investigate and determine the contract is within IR35, who might get stung for extra tax and NI, if a) he remains as sole trader or B) he sets up his own limited company.
Thirdly a question on the deemed payment, is any corporation tax paid through a limited company credited towards any additional PAYE and NI due on a deemed payment or is CT paid irrelevant?
Fourthly, there is a declaration to opt out of the conduct regulations 2003. I have no idea on the implications of this ?
Any advice to point me in the right direction greatly appreciated.
- Turnover on a tax return 51 4
- VAT refund 87 1
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 190 3
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 165 1
- incorrect old p60 359 8
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 250 3
- Missing tax return 356 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,083 30
- Inflation and fees 1,389 24
- Sage Priority Support 177 3
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 212 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 831 24
- Micro-entity accounts 246 1
- Related party disclosure 215 3
- Company reconstruction 151 1
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 239 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 159 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 179 1
- Advice please! 425 2
- VAT on new builds 190 3