Agency and IR35 implications
My technical knowledge on IR35 is not great and I do not fully understand implications of the following;
A potential new client is a sub contractor, involved in street lighting on new builds, and has a contract for services with an agency , who pays my client a gross weekly wage ( no tax or NI deductions), based on his timesheet, less their admin fee for payroll and PL insurance fee. The agency's client is a UK company, who has many contracts for street lighting, and my client will be working for them for the next few years. The written contract, with the agency, is a contract for services and includes all the usual IR35 clauses e.g. substitution clause. My client has also signed a declaration form, with the agency, to say he meets the criteria of IR56 i.e. a self employed status declaration. The blurb from the street lighting company says that 'The agency is CIS compliant which enables sub contractors to work for long term periods rather than the 6 months usually allowed to those paying tax through CIS'.
Firstly does the above indicate that the contract falls outside of IR35?
Secondly my potential client says some of his colleagues have set of Ltd companies to save tax. I want to say yes go ahead, set up a company, you will save around £5,000 in NI, but I do not fully understand the IR35 implications. If the above does indicate the contract falls outisde of IR35 then is it ok to advise to set up a limited cmpany as the agency is doing as much as possible to ensure the contract is outside the scope of IR35?
Secondly should the Revenue investigate and determine the contract is within IR35, who might get stung for extra tax and NI, if a) he remains as sole trader or B) he sets up his own limited company.
Thirdly a question on the deemed payment, is any corporation tax paid through a limited company credited towards any additional PAYE and NI due on a deemed payment or is CT paid irrelevant?
Fourthly, there is a declaration to opt out of the conduct regulations 2003. I have no idea on the implications of this ?
Any advice to point me in the right direction greatly appreciated.
- Interprise software 74 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 499 19
- Charity accounting 262 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 88 1
- sage 109 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 152 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,052 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 208 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 138 1
- FBI2 201 3
- Double entry 170 4
- Companies House 148 3
- Small house in garden 149 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 151 2
- Clients 924 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 290 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 151 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 282 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 312 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 131 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 539
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 470
- EPS and CIS deductions 328
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 311
- Construction CIS LLP Company 302
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 296
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 264
- Overdrawn director account 219
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 200