Agency and IR35 implications
My technical knowledge on IR35 is not great and I do not fully understand implications of the following;
A potential new client is a sub contractor, involved in street lighting on new builds, and has a contract for services with an agency , who pays my client a gross weekly wage ( no tax or NI deductions), based on his timesheet, less their admin fee for payroll and PL insurance fee. The agency's client is a UK company, who has many contracts for street lighting, and my client will be working for them for the next few years. The written contract, with the agency, is a contract for services and includes all the usual IR35 clauses e.g. substitution clause. My client has also signed a declaration form, with the agency, to say he meets the criteria of IR56 i.e. a self employed status declaration. The blurb from the street lighting company says that 'The agency is CIS compliant which enables sub contractors to work for long term periods rather than the 6 months usually allowed to those paying tax through CIS'.
Firstly does the above indicate that the contract falls outside of IR35?
Secondly my potential client says some of his colleagues have set of Ltd companies to save tax. I want to say yes go ahead, set up a company, you will save around £5,000 in NI, but I do not fully understand the IR35 implications. If the above does indicate the contract falls outisde of IR35 then is it ok to advise to set up a limited cmpany as the agency is doing as much as possible to ensure the contract is outside the scope of IR35?
Secondly should the Revenue investigate and determine the contract is within IR35, who might get stung for extra tax and NI, if a) he remains as sole trader or B) he sets up his own limited company.
Thirdly a question on the deemed payment, is any corporation tax paid through a limited company credited towards any additional PAYE and NI due on a deemed payment or is CT paid irrelevant?
Fourthly, there is a declaration to opt out of the conduct regulations 2003. I have no idea on the implications of this ?
Any advice to point me in the right direction greatly appreciated.
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,816 43
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 431 16
- Time to ditch Sage? 291 5
- Losses carry forward to self employed 62 1
- Fees 326 3
- Agent Authorisation Issue 253 3
- HMRC Post 540 7
- Transactions with directors 454 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 292 9
- Non VAT invoices 217 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 215 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,399 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 261 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 232 2
- Form 17 Download 167 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 566 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 386 4
- HMRC Information notice 1,000 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 287 3
- Accountant Specialization. 405 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 415
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 366
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 212
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 181
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 180