Agency and IR35 implications
My technical knowledge on IR35 is not great and I do not fully understand implications of the following;
A potential new client is a sub contractor, involved in street lighting on new builds, and has a contract for services with an agency , who pays my client a gross weekly wage ( no tax or NI deductions), based on his timesheet, less their admin fee for payroll and PL insurance fee. The agency's client is a UK company, who has many contracts for street lighting, and my client will be working for them for the next few years. The written contract, with the agency, is a contract for services and includes all the usual IR35 clauses e.g. substitution clause. My client has also signed a declaration form, with the agency, to say he meets the criteria of IR56 i.e. a self employed status declaration. The blurb from the street lighting company says that 'The agency is CIS compliant which enables sub contractors to work for long term periods rather than the 6 months usually allowed to those paying tax through CIS'.
Firstly does the above indicate that the contract falls outside of IR35?
Secondly my potential client says some of his colleagues have set of Ltd companies to save tax. I want to say yes go ahead, set up a company, you will save around £5,000 in NI, but I do not fully understand the IR35 implications. If the above does indicate the contract falls outisde of IR35 then is it ok to advise to set up a limited cmpany as the agency is doing as much as possible to ensure the contract is outside the scope of IR35?
Secondly should the Revenue investigate and determine the contract is within IR35, who might get stung for extra tax and NI, if a) he remains as sole trader or B) he sets up his own limited company.
Thirdly a question on the deemed payment, is any corporation tax paid through a limited company credited towards any additional PAYE and NI due on a deemed payment or is CT paid irrelevant?
Fourthly, there is a declaration to opt out of the conduct regulations 2003. I have no idea on the implications of this ?
Any advice to point me in the right direction greatly appreciated.
- Budget 2015 predictions 85 2
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,891 32
- Telemarketing 85 3
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 415 10
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 88 1
- Non domicile swiss bank 114 2
- New tax codes for ex-employees 103 1
- Husband Wife let property 74 1
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 73 1
- Gift between companies 101 2
- Physiotherapy And Vat 108 2
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 446 6
- Directors loan - no longer a director 264 2
- Why .... 690 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 934 9
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 539 12
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 430 5
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 272 6
- Relevant life plan 304 7
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 156 2
- Possible Partnership? 587
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 496
- New Fangled Penalties 400
- Clubs and Taxable Income 322
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 293
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 246
- Loans to other companies 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 208
- Outsource Data Entry 198
- Moving away from CCH software 195