Agency and IR35 implications
My technical knowledge on IR35 is not great and I do not fully understand implications of the following;
A potential new client is a sub contractor, involved in street lighting on new builds, and has a contract for services with an agency , who pays my client a gross weekly wage ( no tax or NI deductions), based on his timesheet, less their admin fee for payroll and PL insurance fee. The agency's client is a UK company, who has many contracts for street lighting, and my client will be working for them for the next few years. The written contract, with the agency, is a contract for services and includes all the usual IR35 clauses e.g. substitution clause. My client has also signed a declaration form, with the agency, to say he meets the criteria of IR56 i.e. a self employed status declaration. The blurb from the street lighting company says that 'The agency is CIS compliant which enables sub contractors to work for long term periods rather than the 6 months usually allowed to those paying tax through CIS'.
Firstly does the above indicate that the contract falls outside of IR35?
Secondly my potential client says some of his colleagues have set of Ltd companies to save tax. I want to say yes go ahead, set up a company, you will save around £5,000 in NI, but I do not fully understand the IR35 implications. If the above does indicate the contract falls outisde of IR35 then is it ok to advise to set up a limited cmpany as the agency is doing as much as possible to ensure the contract is outside the scope of IR35?
Secondly should the Revenue investigate and determine the contract is within IR35, who might get stung for extra tax and NI, if a) he remains as sole trader or B) he sets up his own limited company.
Thirdly a question on the deemed payment, is any corporation tax paid through a limited company credited towards any additional PAYE and NI due on a deemed payment or is CT paid irrelevant?
Fourthly, there is a declaration to opt out of the conduct regulations 2003. I have no idea on the implications of this ?
Any advice to point me in the right direction greatly appreciated.
- Which software for practice books? 323 10
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 106 1
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 108 5
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 124 2
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 270 5
- Inheritance tax 229 12
- Tax residence 92 2
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 133 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,647 33
- Accountant software 294 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 456 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 110 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 427 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 231 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,892 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 102 1
- Renting property to yourself 329 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 387 16
- register as self employed? 144 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 168 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 649
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 486
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 278
- How to format a stock book 236
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 196
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 187
- Tax efficient holding company structure 178
- Investment property company accounts template 165
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 163