Agency and IR35 implications
My technical knowledge on IR35 is not great and I do not fully understand implications of the following;
A potential new client is a sub contractor, involved in street lighting on new builds, and has a contract for services with an agency , who pays my client a gross weekly wage ( no tax or NI deductions), based on his timesheet, less their admin fee for payroll and PL insurance fee. The agency's client is a UK company, who has many contracts for street lighting, and my client will be working for them for the next few years. The written contract, with the agency, is a contract for services and includes all the usual IR35 clauses e.g. substitution clause. My client has also signed a declaration form, with the agency, to say he meets the criteria of IR56 i.e. a self employed status declaration. The blurb from the street lighting company says that 'The agency is CIS compliant which enables sub contractors to work for long term periods rather than the 6 months usually allowed to those paying tax through CIS'.
Firstly does the above indicate that the contract falls outside of IR35?
Secondly my potential client says some of his colleagues have set of Ltd companies to save tax. I want to say yes go ahead, set up a company, you will save around £5,000 in NI, but I do not fully understand the IR35 implications. If the above does indicate the contract falls outisde of IR35 then is it ok to advise to set up a limited cmpany as the agency is doing as much as possible to ensure the contract is outside the scope of IR35?
Secondly should the Revenue investigate and determine the contract is within IR35, who might get stung for extra tax and NI, if a) he remains as sole trader or B) he sets up his own limited company.
Thirdly a question on the deemed payment, is any corporation tax paid through a limited company credited towards any additional PAYE and NI due on a deemed payment or is CT paid irrelevant?
Fourthly, there is a declaration to opt out of the conduct regulations 2003. I have no idea on the implications of this ?
Any advice to point me in the right direction greatly appreciated.
- Dress code 1,516 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 457 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 223 6
- Limited company buying director's car 226 8
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 415 7
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 349 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 461 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 119 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 72 3
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 173 4
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 152 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,412 17
- Scottish Independance 760 23
- New laptop - any suggestions please 1,248 26
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 200 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 263 11
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 172 1
- Historical figures for WTC 98 1
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,248 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 139 2
- CTA study material 763
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 471
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 379
- Employment related securities question 303
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 251
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 248
- Trust for Employee 230
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 162
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 144