Agricutural Buildings(ABA) & Capital Allowances
I have a client who is a large farmer and a few years ago in 2008 spent considerable expenditure on constructing new cattle sheds.
In total around £700k was spent on this and out of this roughly £250k was put into the general pool for capital allowancs of which
some £140k qualifying immediately for first year allowance(as this was prior to AIA). Out of the remainder roughly £375k was put into
Agricultural Buildings Allowance pool qualifying for 4% ABA in that year. The remainder of this roughly 75k was put into fixed assets under freehold additions and no capital allowances were claimed.
My query is that I am now considering whether more of this expenditure would have qualified as plant and machinery rather than ABA
as ABA has now been done away with.
So what types of items within the cattle shed would qualify for plant & machinery capital allowances?
Also can I go back this far to 2008?
Should I get an outside expert in this field to visit the farm premises and look at what qualifies as plant & machinery and what
doesn't or could I do this myself?
Any answers are much appreciated in advance.
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 238 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 448 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 527 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 133 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 277 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 102 2
- Limited company buying a car 118 3
- ACCA practice certificates 485 5
- Limited company buying director's car 278 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 65 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 75 1
- WC's and capital allowances 169 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 299 13
- Dress code 1,539 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 474 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 253 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 373 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 468 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 176 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 102 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 476
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 394
- Employment related securities question 307
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 168
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147