Agricutural Buildings(ABA) & Capital Allowances
I have a client who is a large farmer and a few years ago in 2008 spent considerable expenditure on constructing new cattle sheds.
In total around £700k was spent on this and out of this roughly £250k was put into the general pool for capital allowancs of which
some £140k qualifying immediately for first year allowance(as this was prior to AIA). Out of the remainder roughly £375k was put into
Agricultural Buildings Allowance pool qualifying for 4% ABA in that year. The remainder of this roughly 75k was put into fixed assets under freehold additions and no capital allowances were claimed.
My query is that I am now considering whether more of this expenditure would have qualified as plant and machinery rather than ABA
as ABA has now been done away with.
So what types of items within the cattle shed would qualify for plant & machinery capital allowances?
Also can I go back this far to 2008?
Should I get an outside expert in this field to visit the farm premises and look at what qualifies as plant & machinery and what
doesn't or could I do this myself?
Any answers are much appreciated in advance.
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,544 33
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 715 29
- capital gains on PPR 329 16
- Devolved HMRC? 58 1
- PAYE 249 5
- What accounting software is there for Irish Accounts? 205 2
- Working from home - time apportionment 177 1
- incorrect PAYE statements 244 3
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 126 1
- Cloud based payroll sofware? 493 8
- Does anyone use quotation software? 141 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,105 452
- What is the best, tax efficient way to sell 40% shares in your start-up business for approx £1m 430 5
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 340 10
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 438 10
- 100% Xero practice 2,569 48
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 391 5
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 578 10
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 349 12
- Direct Debit - no receipts 314 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,325
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 488
- National Insurance 376
- Non Resident 302
- Franchise income and costs 267
- Hands on experience of Digita 221
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 198
- Employer's Helpline 170
- employment capital allowances 167
- CIS paid under reg 9 162