Allocation of SA tax payments to earliest year
I am sure that a similar question has arisen previously (I'm even reasonably certain that Euan provided the answer), but I have been unable to find it via the search facility.
Apologies for raising it again.
£6K was paid on a/c to HMRC in May 2007 in anticipation of the liability arising from the (late) 05/06 TR. In fact, the 05/06 TR was not submitted to HMRC until Feb. 2011, along with the TR's for subsequent years.
HMRC did not initially process the 05/06 TR and allocated the £6K payment against the liabilities for later years. The 05/06 TR has finally been processed and interest is being charged, and is still accruing, on the unpaid liability for that year. The interest would be considerably reduced if the £6K paid in May 2007 was allocated against the 05/06 liability instead of against liabilities which became due some years later. A call to HMRC asking them to re-allocate the £6K payment proved fruitless, the response being that "the payment cannot be re-allocated because it has been utilised against SA liabilities which were already on the system before the 05/06 liability appeared".
I was under the impression that a taxpayer could request (retrospectively in this case) that a payment could be allocated in accordance with his/her wishes, particularly if this created a more equitable result (i.e. a lower overall interest charge), but I have been unable to find any confirmation of this in the HMRC manuals.
Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
- overdrawn directors loan account 107 4
- Sole trader - bank statements 39 4
- RTI 182 6
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 250 11
- which software to use? 275 5
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 204 3
- audit for 50% associate? 41 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 709 18
- Am i Liable? 402 13
- PAYE coding notices 163 2
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 94 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 832 13
- Property scam victim 514 13
- Christmas party 200 2
- VAT on garage rent 356 15
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 375 4
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 195 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 311 7
- directors overdrawn loan account 124 2
- Giving a seminar 578 31
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,233
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 613
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 411
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 319
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 212
- Alphabet shares 199
- Agent fees to sell business 194
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 190
- Office recharges 155
- Tax position on lease extension 144