Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- Has anyone knowledge of Creditserve 40 1
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,095 24
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,831 15
- husband and wife dividends 258 3
- Entrepreneurs Relief 138 4
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 91 2
- LLP members share of profits 488 28
- Business travel apps 104 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 45 1
- How often can you change VAT scheme in a year? 60 2
- VAT Option to tax 378 10
- Value pricing 2,430 99
- Secondment expenses 75 3
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 277 4
- BEST CPD COURSE 134 2
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 303 17
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 111 5
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 358 2
- Sage payroll 658 14
- Client has been fined by HMRC 843 18
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 895
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 628
- Free Tax Legislation? 386
- Director Loan account operation 384
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 309
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 308
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 281
- Paye procedures for CVA 213
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 212
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 170