Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 434 14
- VAT Deregistration - Final return 20 1
- Sage Payroll 32 2
- Should a company include comparative disclosures when no current year balances? 80 4
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 239 4
- Audit Required 201 5
- Enforcing A CCJ 71 2
- VAT query 105 1
- Belated VAT Exception Application 152 4
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 236 4
- I have a pain 762 8
- Employment allowance and sage instant payroll 130 1
- Thread deleted. 494 15
- convert directors loan account to share capital 214 7
- non resident receiving UK dividends 109 1
- Need to upgrade from Sage 50 but to what? 205 1
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 294 6
- P11d error 444 10
- Audit Report Query 104 1
- Value pricing 339 12
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 737
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 503
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 358
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 346
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 267
- VAT on Gaming Machines 219
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 204
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 191
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 183
- Director Loan account operation 155