Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- The stupidity continues 812 49
- transactions after account have been closed 218 5
- What is IRIS World like? 377 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 349 8
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 226 6
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 264 4
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 541 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 241 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 143 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,343 25
- New Employers Helpline 213 4
- Software recommendations 285 1
- Share transfer question 393 17
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 193 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,473 19
- Overlap relief 764 19
- Pension contributions 386 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 520 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 225 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 295 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 440
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 438
- WIP Software 302
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 236
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 234
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 212
- Is there anything wrong with this? 206
- Small Part Disposal of Property 192
- Uncommercial property business 183