Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 313 10
- HMRC Post 492 6
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 266 9
- Non VAT invoices 175 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 191 2
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 174 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,380 32
- Fees 209 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 248 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 211 2
- Form 17 Download 136 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 545 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 377 4
- HMRC Information notice 989 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 274 3
- Accountant Specialization. 383 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,759 42
- Sage Line 50 176 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 197 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 462 6
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 364
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 207
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 184
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178