Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,358 39
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 102 4
- When does my Property business start 125 2
- Employment status 474 9
- Foreign Premium Distributions 150 1
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 776 15
- Company Pension Contributions 161 3
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 125 1
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 377 9
- Seafarers Earnings Deduction - how is Gibraltar treated? 185 5
- Preparing a consolidated TB 144 3
- How to Value a Business 396 7
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,115 19
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 123 2
- Fastest Software 526 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,577 68
- Vat threshold issues 1,449 12
- Charging for book-keeping on a 'per transaction' basis 785 19
- How much did you pay for your website 410 12
- Sage Payroll & NIC 343 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 585
- CTA study material 582
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 353
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 281
- Employment related securities question 217
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 187
- ATED Penalties 182
- AIM Stocks and IHT 169
- Trust for Employee 121
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 119