Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- VAT GUIDE - 22-25 AGENTS OR EQUIVALENT 343 6
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,462 12
- Output tax for retailer 215 5
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 343 7
- Formating cells in Excel 130 2
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 169 4
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 136 2
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 169 3
- Relocation expense claim 132 1
- ICAS GPPM 84 1
- Payroll 279 7
- Buying fees 713 5
- IHT Query 451 11
- Audit and paypal balances 187 7
- Missing C79 172 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 504 16
- VAT margin scheme 277 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 336 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,780 17
- Get it off your chest 289 4
- Possible Partnership? 562
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 558
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 485
- New Fangled Penalties 362
- Clubs and Taxable Income 297
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 281
- Loans to other companies 224
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 217
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 185
- Outsource Data Entry 183