Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- TRONC scheme 86 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 821 33
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 64 3
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 83 1
- Investment from Friend 110 8
- Advice on letting a client go ? 671 13
- Capital Gains Relief 129 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,588 29
- Identity check problem 1,240 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 172 3
- Business Set up cost 100 1
- Aged Debtor 74 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 960 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 91 3
- blank - ignore 498 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 86 2
- calculate mortgage interest 359 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 453 9
- Companies House praise 228 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,099 14
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 572
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 537
- Latest phishing scam 471
- Entrepreneurs' relief 413
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 339
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 319
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 241
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 234
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163