Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 259 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 193 4
- SA302 287 6
- Go Cardless 338 9
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 239 3
- Hmrc software 230 3
- Mehjoo 273 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 118 1
- Hosted email exchange 174 5
- South African Government Pension 182 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 169 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 293 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 310 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 247 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 151 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 290 7
- New Email Extensions 207 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 325 2
- Dental practice incorpration 162 1
- Audit rules 186 4
- Xtuple 512
- Qtac payroll for bureau 351
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 295
- Industrial & Provident Societies 286
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 185
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 183
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 167
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 147