Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 122 3
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 298 7
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,911 74
- Disposal of property 137 3
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,686 50
- Property scam victim 344 7
- Giving a seminar 50 2
- 10 year debentures and CT 75 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 442 9
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 301 11
- Shareholder agreement issues on development 61 1
- Tasks for new trainees 202 5
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 835 19
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 596 16
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 132 2
- Partnership returns software 120 2
- VAT on garage rent 172 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 108 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 174 3
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 267 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,103
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 581
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 387
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 292
- Charge out rates in London? 249
- Interest on Loan to a Company 193
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 168
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157