Allowable absence, letting and CGT
Someone has just phoned to ask me capital gains tax advice on a property that used to be her PPR until she and her husband (although they weren't married at the time) moved to Australia. They have now returned to the UK and are living in the property. She phoned HMRC twice and was told both times that she would have no CGT to pay when she sells the house as she was working in Australia and it was thus an allowable absence.
My view is that allowable absence only counts if you leave the UK in order to work overseas by prior arrangement, not if you emigrate and then find a new job out there. But maybe I'm wrong - does anyone else know for sure?
As far as CGT goes, I don't think it makes any difference in her case, because even if it was an allowable absence, the fact that she let the property out the whole time she was away would make it taxable for this period anyway, even if it was still her PPR. After all, if she had let out part of the house whilst still living there, that would create a CGT liability on the percentage let out, unless (I believe) it was covered by the rent-a-room exemption (although I may be wrong about this).
It worries me that HMRC give out that sort of advice without knowing the full facts, which then flies in the face of what I told her.
Useful comments on this would be appreciated.
- Owning overseas property 146 1
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 73 3
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 66 6
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,350 38
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 327 7
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 251 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 256 1
- OneNote is fantastic 239 7
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 664 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,111 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 87 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 340 5
- PPR on a development? 231 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 360 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 907 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,796 15
- Cloud accounting package 202 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,028 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 520 15
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 206 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 638
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 397
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 374
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 227
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 207