Allowable Expenses for home office
I've read somewhere that a proportion council tax and water rates CANNOT be claimed as an allowable expense for a home office as these costs are fixed and would be incurred by the individual anyway.
I've also read that a proportion of mortgage interest CANNOT be claimed for a home office, as this is the cost of borrowing rather than a cost of running a business.
But then I’ve also read that a proportion for these can be claim for a home office.
Can someone please tell me what is correct?
By a home office I mean for a self employed person that only uses the office for paperwork, and carries out most of his work travelling to different sites. But the office is only used for this purpose and has no private use.
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 194 7
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 211 7
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 538 20
- Year end 99 1
- How would you account for warranty? 129 4
- LLP - Member leaving 108 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 387 22
- Sweet Tooth 153 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,027 13
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 166 2
- trading or dormant 106 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 100 1
- tax credits 126 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 563 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 264 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 112 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 194 3
- Foreign income for self employed 129 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 643 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 91 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 867
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 515
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 328
- How to format a stock book 306
- Tax efficient holding company structure 243
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 236
- Investment property company accounts template 224
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 218
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 189
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 161