Alphabet shares for directors
A company currently has two full time directors with shares split 60:40. Other than their connection through the company, they are unrelated.
They do not currently take salaries from the company but take rents for the company's use of the business premises and dividends, both pay higher rate tax and director A (60%) has another source of income.
Director B (40%) has a requirement for a higher level of income from the company than director A and director A is quite happy for him to do so.
It has been suggested that the current ordinary shares be split into A (60%) and B (40%) to enable different rates of dividends to be paid, but retaining rights to 60:40 capital on a sale, wind up etc.
I feel that if the directors had been say, husband and wife, then potentially the settlements legislation could be in point, but has anyone any experience of HMRC arguing the point in the scenario outlined above?
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 643 26
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 161 3
- Tax - Paying Yearly 241 11
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 191 3
- New company uses old Bank Account 230 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 454 5
- Anyone using PracticePA? 246 4
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 334 8
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 182 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 184 1
- charities 218 3
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 280 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 114 1
- converting garage to use as office 311 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 654 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 128 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,203 11
- Strike off 447 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 152 2
- auto enrolment 287 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 378
- Any thoughts on Capium? 333
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 295
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 268
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 252
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 230
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 177
- French ConnectionUK 165
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 160
- APN's 159