Alphabet shares for directors
A company currently has two full time directors with shares split 60:40. Other than their connection through the company, they are unrelated.
They do not currently take salaries from the company but take rents for the company's use of the business premises and dividends, both pay higher rate tax and director A (60%) has another source of income.
Director B (40%) has a requirement for a higher level of income from the company than director A and director A is quite happy for him to do so.
It has been suggested that the current ordinary shares be split into A (60%) and B (40%) to enable different rates of dividends to be paid, but retaining rights to 60:40 capital on a sale, wind up etc.
I feel that if the directors had been say, husband and wife, then potentially the settlements legislation could be in point, but has anyone any experience of HMRC arguing the point in the scenario outlined above?
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 224 3
- Do I need a smartphone? 239 6
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 445 6
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 46 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 154 3
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,770 13
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 37 2
- Deduction from Salary 749 21
- Company struck off 211 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,405 53
- Opening Balances 278 6
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 271 6
- Employment Allowance 402 7
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 361 12
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 488 9
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 370 9
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 282 1
- West Bromich Albion 361 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,919 61
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 448 10
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 648
- Cancelled 402
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 347
- How not to compose an email 326
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 324
- Probiz 313
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 291
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 226
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 203