Alphabet shares for directors
A company currently has two full time directors with shares split 60:40. Other than their connection through the company, they are unrelated.
They do not currently take salaries from the company but take rents for the company's use of the business premises and dividends, both pay higher rate tax and director A (60%) has another source of income.
Director B (40%) has a requirement for a higher level of income from the company than director A and director A is quite happy for him to do so.
It has been suggested that the current ordinary shares be split into A (60%) and B (40%) to enable different rates of dividends to be paid, but retaining rights to 60:40 capital on a sale, wind up etc.
I feel that if the directors had been say, husband and wife, then potentially the settlements legislation could be in point, but has anyone any experience of HMRC arguing the point in the scenario outlined above?
- Business Christmas Greetings 962 18
- tax credits 186 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,001 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 77 1
- LLP - Member leaving 178 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 722 21
- Year end 220 3
- Foreign income for self employed 162 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 285 9
- what time is it ? 177 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 296 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,115 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 238 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 597 21
- How would you account for warranty? 174 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 412 22
- Sweet Tooth 220 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 194 2
- trading or dormant 132 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 152 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 894
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 521
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 333
- How to format a stock book 315
- Tax efficient holding company structure 251
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 245
- Investment property company accounts template 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 194
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 174
- Charge out rates in London? 153