Alphabet shares for directors
A company currently has two full time directors with shares split 60:40. Other than their connection through the company, they are unrelated.
They do not currently take salaries from the company but take rents for the company's use of the business premises and dividends, both pay higher rate tax and director A (60%) has another source of income.
Director B (40%) has a requirement for a higher level of income from the company than director A and director A is quite happy for him to do so.
It has been suggested that the current ordinary shares be split into A (60%) and B (40%) to enable different rates of dividends to be paid, but retaining rights to 60:40 capital on a sale, wind up etc.
I feel that if the directors had been say, husband and wife, then potentially the settlements legislation could be in point, but has anyone any experience of HMRC arguing the point in the scenario outlined above?
- Setting up a practice 310 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 458 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 414 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 222 1
- Love is in the air 504 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 649 17
- Stamp Duty 291 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 234 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,788 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 546 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 231 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 258 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,023 46
- Client Paperwork Retention? 566 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 574 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 369 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 391 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 450 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 496 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 311 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 300
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 286
- CGT for NOn UK residents 279
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 253
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 221
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 199