Alphabet shares for directors
A company currently has two full time directors with shares split 60:40. Other than their connection through the company, they are unrelated.
They do not currently take salaries from the company but take rents for the company's use of the business premises and dividends, both pay higher rate tax and director A (60%) has another source of income.
Director B (40%) has a requirement for a higher level of income from the company than director A and director A is quite happy for him to do so.
It has been suggested that the current ordinary shares be split into A (60%) and B (40%) to enable different rates of dividends to be paid, but retaining rights to 60:40 capital on a sale, wind up etc.
I feel that if the directors had been say, husband and wife, then potentially the settlements legislation could be in point, but has anyone any experience of HMRC arguing the point in the scenario outlined above?
- Audit 388 13
- PITA ex-client 85 6
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 287 4
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 47 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 814 22
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 61 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 226 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 317 8
- Scottish Independance 864 24
- Funding Circle experience 54 1
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 691 20
- Awkward IP 1,488 16
- New supplier 89 2
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 51 2
- Buying a horse?? 304 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 206 4
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,126 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 976 11
- What's in a name ? 1,151 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 225 2
- CTA study material 792
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 489
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 442
- Employment related securities question 315
- AIM Stocks and IHT 294
- Expat pension contributions? 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 272
- Trust for Employee 251
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 214
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 155