Alphabet shares for directors
A company currently has two full time directors with shares split 60:40. Other than their connection through the company, they are unrelated.
They do not currently take salaries from the company but take rents for the company's use of the business premises and dividends, both pay higher rate tax and director A (60%) has another source of income.
Director B (40%) has a requirement for a higher level of income from the company than director A and director A is quite happy for him to do so.
It has been suggested that the current ordinary shares be split into A (60%) and B (40%) to enable different rates of dividends to be paid, but retaining rights to 60:40 capital on a sale, wind up etc.
I feel that if the directors had been say, husband and wife, then potentially the settlements legislation could be in point, but has anyone any experience of HMRC arguing the point in the scenario outlined above?
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 242 6
- Notes to statutory accounts 199 10
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 102 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 186 6
- What does it mean?? 213 5
- another ir35!!!! 994 6
- Gifting shares 240 5
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 582 11
- Tax Credit Overpayment 226 8
- A question about share structure 188 3
- Holding companies 131 5
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 92 2
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 518 6
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 200 6
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 94 2
- Donations/grants by a CIC 171 1
- VAT Registration 397 18
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 664 5
- Childminding & Wear & Tear Allowance 96 1
- VAT on motor expenses 855 30
- Skandia using wrong address 1,526
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 839
- International interest certificate 457
- NOVA 314
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 204
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 203
- Bonus Bonds 198
- Management expenses for investment company 192
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 180
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 166