Alphabet shares for directors
A company currently has two full time directors with shares split 60:40. Other than their connection through the company, they are unrelated.
They do not currently take salaries from the company but take rents for the company's use of the business premises and dividends, both pay higher rate tax and director A (60%) has another source of income.
Director B (40%) has a requirement for a higher level of income from the company than director A and director A is quite happy for him to do so.
It has been suggested that the current ordinary shares be split into A (60%) and B (40%) to enable different rates of dividends to be paid, but retaining rights to 60:40 capital on a sale, wind up etc.
I feel that if the directors had been say, husband and wife, then potentially the settlements legislation could be in point, but has anyone any experience of HMRC arguing the point in the scenario outlined above?
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 189 1
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,439 39
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 97 2
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 221 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,224 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 355 6
- Go Cardless 375 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 315 3
- Mehjoo 328 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 127 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 384 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 191 4
- SA302 335 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 290 13
- Bringing money to Uk 289 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 215 4
- Hmrc software 254 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 184 1
- Hosted email exchange 189 5
- South African Government Pension 185 1
- Xtuple 517
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 235
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 209
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 208
- Domain name sale and limited company 180
- CIS schemes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151