Alphabet shares - redeemable shares
Client formed his own company to purchase a restaurant without consulting me.
He managed to pursuade a husband and wife to lend £45k
He has lent £22.5k
His daughter £22.5k
The balance of purchase price loan from bank.
So far only 1 share allotted on incorporation.
He now tells me the agreement (drawn up by solicitor) which I have not seen makes provision for payment (not sure if dividends) to the husband and wife and after 3 years the husband and wife will "relinquish" (his word) the shares for no consideration.
He now asks if alphabet shares could be issued to enable different dividends.
1 I assume they can be issued with change of articles?
2 What is situation in 3 years assuming the company has reserves and therefore the shares have value above par. Can the husband and wife gift at nominal value? (always assuming the agreement is robust enough).
3 Would it be more appropriate to issue redeemable shares to husband and wife.
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 660 5
- What is wrong with HMRC? 398 5
- Tech Champion of the Year 45 2
- Non-resident employer & employee 47 2
- Entrepeneurs Relief 114 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,284 65
- Boffin of the Year 534 17
- Non sequitur 403 5
- Glass-half-full member of the year? 359 13
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 697 3
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 102 3
- Vat on digital download of music 42 1
- equipment rental 139 6
- Help needed.... 133 2
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 92 1
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 447 7
- Freight Forwarders - VAT 127 4
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 374 6
- HMRC website error 185 1
- Fixed asset registers 194 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,334
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 428
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 345
- Alphabet shares 228
- Agent fees to sell business 224
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 215
- Office recharges 175
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 160
- Charge out rates in London 153
- which entity 144