Alphabet shares - redeemable shares
Client formed his own company to purchase a restaurant without consulting me.
He managed to pursuade a husband and wife to lend £45k
He has lent £22.5k
His daughter £22.5k
The balance of purchase price loan from bank.
So far only 1 share allotted on incorporation.
He now tells me the agreement (drawn up by solicitor) which I have not seen makes provision for payment (not sure if dividends) to the husband and wife and after 3 years the husband and wife will "relinquish" (his word) the shares for no consideration.
He now asks if alphabet shares could be issued to enable different dividends.
1 I assume they can be issued with change of articles?
2 What is situation in 3 years assuming the company has reserves and therefore the shares have value above par. Can the husband and wife gift at nominal value? (always assuming the agreement is robust enough).
3 Would it be more appropriate to issue redeemable shares to husband and wife.
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 195 4
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 418 8
- Operating lease 19 1
- paye scheme very used 124 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 777 25
- Disclosure query 84 3
- Invoice factoring 45 2
- Auto enrolment 264 4
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 227 6
- LLP Accounts format 76 1
- Scoot 290 6
- A question about share structure 59 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 188 3
- Top slicing relief question 143 2
- Share swap 188 3
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 306 2
- Tax on sale of shares 165 3
- Accountants' Error 877 17
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 342 3
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 227 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,463
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 782
- Any views 710
- HMRC Employers Diary 531
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 398
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 266
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 259