Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 36 1
- What are options for non CA firm 2,416 53
- I have missing sales invoices 346 5
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 187 1
- is my company accounts right? 653 16
- Invoice Help 348 10
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 229 8
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 345 5
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 354 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 943 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,044 26
- Directors Subsistence 196 1
- (CIMA) - Qualified to Management Level (2006) 243 4
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 422 16
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 266 3
- Final year's accounts 337 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,920 27
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,490 20
- Free Shares ? 329 6
- Dividend dates 335 6
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 552
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 318
- Cancelled 314
- Cancelled 264
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 225
- Married woman dies owning marital home 216
- Probiz 205
- What's the market like for temps? 200
- CIS Deductions 163
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 158