Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 283 8
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 647 8
- Who can I refer leads to? 199 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 172 5
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 615 14
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 83 1
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 100 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 643 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 457 5
- Director self assessment 379 16
- SA tax assessments 152 2
- Sage Import Data 166 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 230 2
- Dividend Vouchers 263 4
- Engagement letter 186 4
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 195 6
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 156 3
- How do you account in the VAT return for 283 4
- Abortive legal fees deductible on sale? 103 2
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 191 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 423
- CTA study material 388
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 284
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 265
- Pre incorp expenses 238
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 214
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 207
- Slight twist on employment related securities 193
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 137
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 136