Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 170 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 188 3
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 356 8
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 146 4
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 146 3
- LLP as member of LLP 99 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,749 48
- B2B vat in the EU 143 3
- Coding Notice 166 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 459 7
- Vat 286 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,283 13
- Recharge for private use of a company car 198 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 166 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,496 18
- CT/CIS offset 149 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 198 4
- Trade name 197 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 146 1
- New business - journal entries 330 20
- Auto enrolment excuses 825
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 711
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 394
- Social investment tax relief 210
- Digita Hosted Software 206
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 163
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 150
- accounting for this transaction 147