Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Company formation and bank account 80 4
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 133 2
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,433 41
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 369 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 348 8
- OneNote is fantastic 384 11
- VAT Direct Debit 318 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 395 8
- Self Assessment Software 660 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 418 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,330 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 185 11
- Owning overseas property 185 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 294 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 269 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 675 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,134 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 396 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 931 19
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 643
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- 2015 tax year end 378
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 377
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 231
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 230
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 227