Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 93 2
- Should replies on AWEB show details of the qualifications 175 10
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 415 6
- Personal allowance 638 14
- New Fangled Penalties 1,101 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 127 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 726 30
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 805 9
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 272 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 374 10
- VAT on employee loan 291 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 949 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 143 2
- Accountants website 385 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 170 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 469 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 101 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 119 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,411 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 225 5
- Moving away from CCH software 940
- QROP pension input amounts 431
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 346
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 313
- fraud 272
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 195
- EPS and CIS deductions 188