Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- SAGE con 138 3
- Dazed & confused 71 2
- Related Parties Note 374 8
- Goodwill ammortisation 216 2
- Overpayment relief claim 103 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 213 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,507 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 499 28
- Charity reserves 105 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,464 16
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 495 8
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 129 1
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,240 19
- do I have to pay NI? 261 4
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 95 3
- rates of pay query 146 1
- Flat rate vat error 420 8
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 96 2
- How to format a stock book 394 2
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 272 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 997
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 540
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 358
- Tax efficient holding company structure 285
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 268
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 201
- Personal consumption by landlord 177
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 177
- Interest on Loan to a Company 169