Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Rogue Accountant 2,824 46
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,536 71
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,283 19
- HMRC Scam 246 2
- Departments in Sage 50 88 1
- Where has Portia gone? 684 25
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 216 2
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 319 4
- Capital Gains? 258 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 103 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 73 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 449 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 127 2
- AIA - new period 220 1
- Self assessment question 1,160 48
- Major Works Invoice to Rental Property 376 9
- What is the base cost of this asset for CGT? 265 3
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 856 20
- Dividend Tax Rate 442 8
- Ex Wives Club 547 13
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 773
- RTI - duplicate employee record 510
- Pensions Regulator 438
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 394
- Sanzar 296
- Sage Vat return box 2 296
- Digital marketing focus group 277
- How do you do it 264
- Report old income 227
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 226