Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 302 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,932 449
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,755 23
- Direct Debit - no receipts 275 4
- VAT and gap in trading of uncertain length 127 1
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,722 10
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 552 9
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 308 6
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,336 63
- Freehold or Investment Property 106 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 858 8
- capital gains on PPR 287 14
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 382 14
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 246 7
- Company expansion 134 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 401 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 516 15
- 100% Xero practice 2,486 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 291 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 224 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,320
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 482
- National Insurance 374
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 265
- Hands on experience of Digita 218
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 168
- employment capital allowances 165
- CIS paid under reg 9 159