Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 683 5
- See you all on the other side 725 6
- 12Pay 487 2
- dividends 674 2
- R&D 339 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,202 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 453 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 441 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 395 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 560 5
- Seeking a tax case 664 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 525 4
- Companies house strike off 601 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 452 2
- Moving to the cloud 762 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 222 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 922 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 223 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,104 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 514 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 568
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 423
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 377
- IRIS and FRS 102 357
- Capitalising Finance Lease 335
- USA help 321
- Marginal rates of tax 320
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 318
- Class 2 NI 305
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 298