Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 181 4
- Are HMRC staff on early 437 6
- Start up allowance? 68 4
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 182 9
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 217 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 39 2
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 803 13
- Late Registration for VAT 263 9
- Reverse charge and EC sales list 81 2
- AIA or IFA 267 2
- CGT and Expenses on Property Rental Business 54 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,163 33
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 191 6
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,337 19
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 73 1
- How much of your work is admin? 545 4
- Goodwill complications 217 3
- Registering a company late 398 13
- Claiming pre-letting mortgage costs on first rental property 114 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 133 1
- TheTax Donut 1,030
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 683
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 626
- Follower cases 490
- Limited company purchase of property 424
- Hive up 420
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 386
- corporate hierarchy 384
- LIVE chat, starting now 336
- Advice - 192