Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Knuckle down one week to go! 45 2
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 637 29
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 94 1
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 354 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 606 11
- calculate mortgage interest 177 1
- Auto enrolment 1,653 27
- AIA 230 5
- Depreciation 213 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 168 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 244 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 200 3
- client can't/won't pay 495 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 235 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 265 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 281 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,199 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 297 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 242 5
- HMRC SA software error? 221 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 800
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 466
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 458
- Latest phishing scam 297
- Entrepreneurs' relief 284
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 259
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 245