Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 180 4
- SA302 306 7
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 273 4
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 282 13
- Bringing money to Uk 261 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 270 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 197 4
- Go Cardless 342 9
- Hmrc software 236 3
- Mehjoo 277 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 132 1
- Hosted email exchange 179 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 306 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 313 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 248 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 153 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 293 7
- New Email Extensions 213 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 328 2
- Xtuple 513
- Qtac payroll for bureau 352
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 296
- Industrial & Provident Societies 288
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 189
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 189
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 171
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 148