Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 108 5
- Unhappy client over fees 1,403 32
- Multi user accounting software 128 2
- S455 tax on existing loans on becoming a participator 71 1
- Does QuickBooks Online have aged debtors and creditors reports? 221 2
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 101 1
- Is it possible and what should be done? 156 1
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 192 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 403 11
- do i need an online accounting software 554 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 107 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 645 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 251 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 1,020 16
- Can you claim part of the AIA and WDAs on the remainder 181 2
- Bank account security - Kashflow 298 4
- Double tax relief -UK tax paid in error 124 2
- Partnership Share Ratio Quandary 465 12
- ACCA student with study package 412 8
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 407 3
- NHS finance professionals 791
- Foreign Pension Contribution 475
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 467
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 405
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 372
- IFA income recognition & reporting 280
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 262
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 256
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 208
- FRM claim for travel to training course 201