Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- Freehold Property Depreciation 322 15
- VAT - E-commerce site (middle man only) - like Not on the high street 79 2
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 580 2
- Relevant life plan 116 2
- Claiming VAT without invoice 235 4
- Non domicile swiss bank 37 1
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 393 9
- Accounting for Film Rights 113 4
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 193 2
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 198 7
- Limited Company expenses 202 6
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 287 3
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 282 5
- Software recommendations? 234 3
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 117 2
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 330 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 561 16
- Shares paid - petty cash 217 4
- Is an ex-gratia payment to a company taxable 176 5
- Charity accounting 185 5
- Possible Partnership? 573
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 491
- New Fangled Penalties 375
- Clubs and Taxable Income 306
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 282
- Loans to other companies 231
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 225
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 196
- Outsource Data Entry 188
- Moving away from CCH software 172