Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 126 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 428 8
- Fees 424 5
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 499 17
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 271 3
- www.pool.adzio 127 2
- Time to ditch Sage? 381 6
- Losses carry forward to self employed 156 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,870 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 274 3
- HMRC Post 556 7
- Transactions with directors 469 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 308 9
- Non VAT invoices 240 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 242 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,428 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 272 5
- Form 17 Download 189 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 588 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 404 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 417
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 369
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 250
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 213
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 189
- AIA 186
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 181