Am I the only one?
When we acquire a new client, part of our routine is to get the client to sign an authorisation letter for the handover of records from the previous accountant.
When we lose/sack a client, we always send them a disengagement letter which advises them to appoint a new accountant as quickly as possible, and that we will need written authorisation before we can hand over any confidential information in order to comply with the Data Protection Act.
We hardly ever receive authorisation. They hardly ever appoint a new accountant until the last minute. We seem to get the blame for the delay anyway!
With the last one, because of the 31 Jan deadline, we even offered the new accountant the option of declaring that they would accept responsibility in the event that the client later refutes giving authorisation for the handover, but they wouldn't. They (accountants & client) still blame us for the delay, though!
I'm getting round to my question .... this procedure is causing delays in the handover. Where we don't get authorisation from the client, could we just put something in our response to the new accountant along the lines of .....
'We have not received authorisation for the handover of the records, therefore, we assume you have received permission from the client for handover of confidential records, and you should confidentially destroy the records without examining them unless you accept responsibility under the Data Protection Act".
Would this get us off the hook?
- What are options for non CA firm 1,609 25
- Dividends with an annual profit but retained losses 74 1
- How to make restoration of corrupted excel 2007 file? 102 1
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,874 35
- Real names 1,123 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 514 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 139 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,380 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 677 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 240 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 108 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 137 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 294 5
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,984 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,961 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 92 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 122 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 167 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 121 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 90 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 582
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 456
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 354
- IFA incorporation 338
- Sorry ignore me 323
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 277
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 272
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 262
- Cancelled 205
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 175