Amend PAYE records for year 2011/12
Please can someone help!
I had a consultancy company which was Ltd with 1 PA employed by me from March 2011 - I knew the employee was pregnant at the time of employing, though was not due for 4 months (the employee was a friend of a friend). However, the employee gave birth prematurely in May 2011 and as such didn't qualify for SMP from my company.
I advised the accountancy firm responsible for my accounts/payroll etc of this and was assured it had been dealt with. On the employee's return to work following unpaid maternity leave, she completed a tax credits decleration in July 2012 stating her income from employment with me for the year 2011/12.
She received a letter in Sept from HMRC advising PAYE states differently to figures she provided, at this time I spoke with accountancy firm who advised this would be rectified - It never was (not had an explanation why)!
Long story short, the employee and her husband have had to face an appeals tribunal, who though while seem reasonable satisfied with the explanation - state they cannot overturn HMRC's claim without clear evidence in the form of ammended PAYE or P60.
The company has since ceased to trade in the year 2013/14, and I have spoken to the accountant in question who has advised there is nothing they can do about this as they no longer have the details of my company on their systems. I have been all around HMRC today trying to find information as I know this young family cannot afford to pay HMRC what they are claiming they owe. I have been advised the way to go about this may be a P14 & P35, though no one is certain for sure. I am meeting the accountant next week to discuss this further as he claims these can't be processed and won't suffice.
Can someone please advise on best course of action for me to ensure PAYE & P60 gets ammended for this family.
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 178 3
- An officer and a gentleman 513 14
- UK Accountancy Franchise 204 4
- PAYROLL - SAGE v Microsoft Payroll Manager 131 1
- Clients 715 15
- Simplified auto enrolment? 189 2
- Tax and children 140 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 566 8
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 389 16
- Directors obligation to notify 110 1
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 264 2
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 154 1
- Starting new accounting business 332 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 157 4
- error on companies house accounts 761 18
- RTI penalties 140 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 322 5
- US Sales Tax 116 1
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 205 3
- Group Relief 140 4
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 483
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 446
- EPS and CIS deductions 303
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 292
- Construction CIS LLP Company 285
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 250
- SAGE winforecast 205
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 188
- Overdrawn director account 175