Amend PAYE records for year 2011/12
Please can someone help!
I had a consultancy company which was Ltd with 1 PA employed by me from March 2011 - I knew the employee was pregnant at the time of employing, though was not due for 4 months (the employee was a friend of a friend). However, the employee gave birth prematurely in May 2011 and as such didn't qualify for SMP from my company.
I advised the accountancy firm responsible for my accounts/payroll etc of this and was assured it had been dealt with. On the employee's return to work following unpaid maternity leave, she completed a tax credits decleration in July 2012 stating her income from employment with me for the year 2011/12.
She received a letter in Sept from HMRC advising PAYE states differently to figures she provided, at this time I spoke with accountancy firm who advised this would be rectified - It never was (not had an explanation why)!
Long story short, the employee and her husband have had to face an appeals tribunal, who though while seem reasonable satisfied with the explanation - state they cannot overturn HMRC's claim without clear evidence in the form of ammended PAYE or P60.
The company has since ceased to trade in the year 2013/14, and I have spoken to the accountant in question who has advised there is nothing they can do about this as they no longer have the details of my company on their systems. I have been all around HMRC today trying to find information as I know this young family cannot afford to pay HMRC what they are claiming they owe. I have been advised the way to go about this may be a P14 & P35, though no one is certain for sure. I am meeting the accountant next week to discuss this further as he claims these can't be processed and won't suffice.
Can someone please advise on best course of action for me to ensure PAYE & P60 gets ammended for this family.
- Tax implication on superannuation 174 3
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,531 25
- GRNI - Normal Balance 44 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 187 3
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 269 5
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 212 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 805 13
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 72 2
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,291 24
- VAT - Check on clients business 906 37
- Second Limited Company 95 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 487 10
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 287 8
- Probate services 367 7
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 480 20
- trading losses allowable? 756 14
- Post AAT? 675 3
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 131 1
- Treatment of valuation fee for IHT. 194 2
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,641 37