Amend PAYE records for year 2011/12
Please can someone help!
I had a consultancy company which was Ltd with 1 PA employed by me from March 2011 - I knew the employee was pregnant at the time of employing, though was not due for 4 months (the employee was a friend of a friend). However, the employee gave birth prematurely in May 2011 and as such didn't qualify for SMP from my company.
I advised the accountancy firm responsible for my accounts/payroll etc of this and was assured it had been dealt with. On the employee's return to work following unpaid maternity leave, she completed a tax credits decleration in July 2012 stating her income from employment with me for the year 2011/12.
She received a letter in Sept from HMRC advising PAYE states differently to figures she provided, at this time I spoke with accountancy firm who advised this would be rectified - It never was (not had an explanation why)!
Long story short, the employee and her husband have had to face an appeals tribunal, who though while seem reasonable satisfied with the explanation - state they cannot overturn HMRC's claim without clear evidence in the form of ammended PAYE or P60.
The company has since ceased to trade in the year 2013/14, and I have spoken to the accountant in question who has advised there is nothing they can do about this as they no longer have the details of my company on their systems. I have been all around HMRC today trying to find information as I know this young family cannot afford to pay HMRC what they are claiming they owe. I have been advised the way to go about this may be a P14 & P35, though no one is certain for sure. I am meeting the accountant next week to discuss this further as he claims these can't be processed and won't suffice.
Can someone please advise on best course of action for me to ensure PAYE & P60 gets ammended for this family.
- HMRC Agents Line 184 4
- Accounts Software 99 4
- calculation DTR restriction 71 1
- Company Director In Prison 432 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 47 1
- AWeb - download file 157 3
- Charity work 228 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 232 6
- Director Drawings 142 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,673 38
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 256 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 220 7
- Collection or business assets 98 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 264 8
- Tax position re this lease? 370 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 719 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 103 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,673 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 88 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 348 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 674
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 513
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 203