Amend PAYE records for year 2011/12
Please can someone help!
I had a consultancy company which was Ltd with 1 PA employed by me from March 2011 - I knew the employee was pregnant at the time of employing, though was not due for 4 months (the employee was a friend of a friend). However, the employee gave birth prematurely in May 2011 and as such didn't qualify for SMP from my company.
I advised the accountancy firm responsible for my accounts/payroll etc of this and was assured it had been dealt with. On the employee's return to work following unpaid maternity leave, she completed a tax credits decleration in July 2012 stating her income from employment with me for the year 2011/12.
She received a letter in Sept from HMRC advising PAYE states differently to figures she provided, at this time I spoke with accountancy firm who advised this would be rectified - It never was (not had an explanation why)!
Long story short, the employee and her husband have had to face an appeals tribunal, who though while seem reasonable satisfied with the explanation - state they cannot overturn HMRC's claim without clear evidence in the form of ammended PAYE or P60.
The company has since ceased to trade in the year 2013/14, and I have spoken to the accountant in question who has advised there is nothing they can do about this as they no longer have the details of my company on their systems. I have been all around HMRC today trying to find information as I know this young family cannot afford to pay HMRC what they are claiming they owe. I have been advised the way to go about this may be a P14 & P35, though no one is certain for sure. I am meeting the accountant next week to discuss this further as he claims these can't be processed and won't suffice.
Can someone please advise on best course of action for me to ensure PAYE & P60 gets ammended for this family.
- Limited company buying a car 154 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 284 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 460 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 558 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 191 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 288 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 116 2
- ACCA practice certificates 497 5
- Limited company buying director's car 293 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 81 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 109 1
- WC's and capital allowances 174 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 313 13
- Dress code 1,548 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 483 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 261 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 382 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 475 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 197 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 118 3
- CTA study material 770
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 482
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 399
- Employment related securities question 309
- AIM Stocks and IHT 281
- Expat pension contributions? 258
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 258
- Trust for Employee 238
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 183
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 148