Amortization of goodwill - allowable?
A Ltd has been incorporated and trading since 2010
Prior to this Mr A ran the business as a sole trader for 3 years - from around 2007
Mr A had taken on the business from his father in law (Mr B) who had run the business for 4 years - from around 2003. I believe that Mr B had purchased the business from an unconnected party.
A Ltd has goodwill which is being amortized.
Am I right in thinking that no part of the goodwill arising on either of the transfer from Mr A to A Ltd or from Mr B to Mr A will be allowable for tax purposes? The latter on the basis that Mr A acquired the business from a connected party.
Could however any part of the total goodwill that related to the purchase post April 2002 by Mr B from the unconnected third party be relievable?
Any thoughts very gratefully received.
- Error in past Corporate tax return 361 6
- General tax book with planning 166 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,232 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 291 11
- Gift of property & improvements 124 2
- VAT Invoice 155 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 809 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 131 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 226 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 200 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 159 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 464 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 383 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 263 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 193 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 259 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 168 4
- SA302's anyone?? 544 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,652 41
- Renting for military reasons 197 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 512
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 299
- Management expenses for investment company 264
- Bonus Bonds 262
- tax on apprenticeship income 174
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 173
- P11D benefit received by widow 153