Amortization of goodwill - allowable?
A Ltd has been incorporated and trading since 2010
Prior to this Mr A ran the business as a sole trader for 3 years - from around 2007
Mr A had taken on the business from his father in law (Mr B) who had run the business for 4 years - from around 2003. I believe that Mr B had purchased the business from an unconnected party.
A Ltd has goodwill which is being amortized.
Am I right in thinking that no part of the goodwill arising on either of the transfer from Mr A to A Ltd or from Mr B to Mr A will be allowable for tax purposes? The latter on the basis that Mr A acquired the business from a connected party.
Could however any part of the total goodwill that related to the purchase post April 2002 by Mr B from the unconnected third party be relievable?
Any thoughts very gratefully received.
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 151 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 103 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 230 1
- will this work for IHT 253 2
- Best software for small practice? 641 20
- Paid too much !! 278 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,746 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 279 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 229 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 491 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 135 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 112 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 119 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 481 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 751 11
- Sports Sponsorship 169 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 280 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 215 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 277 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,332 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 769
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 455
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 276
- DTA tie-breaker issue 263
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 249
- CGT for NOn UK residents 224
- Apprenticeship Levy 203
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 183
- Just checking re PSA 176