Amortization of goodwill - allowable?
A Ltd has been incorporated and trading since 2010
Prior to this Mr A ran the business as a sole trader for 3 years - from around 2007
Mr A had taken on the business from his father in law (Mr B) who had run the business for 4 years - from around 2003. I believe that Mr B had purchased the business from an unconnected party.
A Ltd has goodwill which is being amortized.
Am I right in thinking that no part of the goodwill arising on either of the transfer from Mr A to A Ltd or from Mr B to Mr A will be allowable for tax purposes? The latter on the basis that Mr A acquired the business from a connected party.
Could however any part of the total goodwill that related to the purchase post April 2002 by Mr B from the unconnected third party be relievable?
Any thoughts very gratefully received.
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,141 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 694 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 46 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 242 8
- recompense capital input 182 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 102 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 220 2
- CT losses carry back 85 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 544 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 148 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 755 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 416 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,263 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 132 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 183 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 222 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 989 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 203 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 253 5
- Merging my businesses 230 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 797
- RTI - duplicate employee record 562
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 328
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 299
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183