Amortization of goodwill - allowable?
A Ltd has been incorporated and trading since 2010
Prior to this Mr A ran the business as a sole trader for 3 years - from around 2007
Mr A had taken on the business from his father in law (Mr B) who had run the business for 4 years - from around 2003. I believe that Mr B had purchased the business from an unconnected party.
A Ltd has goodwill which is being amortized.
Am I right in thinking that no part of the goodwill arising on either of the transfer from Mr A to A Ltd or from Mr B to Mr A will be allowable for tax purposes? The latter on the basis that Mr A acquired the business from a connected party.
Could however any part of the total goodwill that related to the purchase post April 2002 by Mr B from the unconnected third party be relievable?
Any thoughts very gratefully received.
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,308 14
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 119 2
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 563 9
- Payment on account penalties 145 4
- How much did you pay for your website 1,700 29
- any implications of this type of transaction 76 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 91 1
- Does IR35 apply? 97 1
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 106 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 295 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,037 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 269 7
- Sage data 111 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 424 9
- Limited company buying a car 365 6
- Funding Circle experience 165 3
- Excel query 132 2
- Tax on free shares 158 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 212 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 132 1
- CTA study material 809
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 500
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 462
- Employment related securities question 326
- AIM Stocks and IHT 313
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 285
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 240
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162