... and again!
HMRC have just called us regarding a client of ours. Leastways ... they said they were HMRC!
I asked for our agent code and was informed they don't have one! I said I needed to confirm they are HMRC and was told they were, because they have a 64-8 with our name on, but don't have an agent code!
I said their lack of confirmation that were HMRC put me in a difficult position regarding confidentiality and I got a sarcy comment saying 'they are only trying to help the taxpayer' and they put the phone down!
It's time HMRC had some proper procedures for confirming their ID when calling accountants, or taxpayers!
- PAYE versus Dividends 148 2
- Employee or partner 13 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 183 5
- The Cotter Case 180 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 111 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 137 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 58 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 938 16
- Sole Trader business 153 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 152 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 145 1
- Giving a seminar 684 36
- Tax position on lease extension 176 1
- Boffin of the Year 301 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 220 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 80 1
- Non sequitur 253 2
- Am i Liable? 882 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 172 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,300
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 641
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 426
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 333
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 221
- Agent fees to sell business 215
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 208
- Office recharges 170
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 152