... and again!
HMRC have just called us regarding a client of ours. Leastways ... they said they were HMRC!
I asked for our agent code and was informed they don't have one! I said I needed to confirm they are HMRC and was told they were, because they have a 64-8 with our name on, but don't have an agent code!
I said their lack of confirmation that were HMRC put me in a difficult position regarding confidentiality and I got a sarcy comment saying 'they are only trying to help the taxpayer' and they put the phone down!
It's time HMRC had some proper procedures for confirming their ID when calling accountants, or taxpayers!
- What is the law regarding selling your Ltd company to another? 81 8
- Employer Allowance & Transfer of Business 29 1
- Summer festivals! 329 13
- Do you need to account for a director loan separate from the current account 166 2
- Do accountants work at home? 785 21
- Can I pay into a pension? 262 8
- The Accountancy Party: What’s in your manifesto? 246 5
- Tax Implications for Selling a Subsidiary 60 2
- SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS 152 4
- Selling a property at a loss. Does HMRC still require a tax return 44 1
- I used to think HMRC contact lines couldnt get any worse................ 418 11
- Merging my businesses 292 4
- Where has Portia gone? 6,445 122
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 881 22
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 257 1
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,099 19
- new investor structure 223 1
- Furnished Holiday Lets & VAT 181 7
- Overlap profit 376 8
- VAT on Security Services to Foreign Companies. 109 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 885
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 472
- Sanzar 362
- Digital marketing focus group 319
- Fit for purpose 215
- career 189
- Continuity Agreement 188
- Buyback 179
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 171
- Isle of Man payroll 168