... and again!
HMRC have just called us regarding a client of ours. Leastways ... they said they were HMRC!
I asked for our agent code and was informed they don't have one! I said I needed to confirm they are HMRC and was told they were, because they have a 64-8 with our name on, but don't have an agent code!
I said their lack of confirmation that were HMRC put me in a difficult position regarding confidentiality and I got a sarcy comment saying 'they are only trying to help the taxpayer' and they put the phone down!
It's time HMRC had some proper procedures for confirming their ID when calling accountants, or taxpayers!
- R&D tax credits 35 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 187 3
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 225 4
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 162 6
- Improvements to leasehold property and Capital Allowances 30 1
- Annual Report - How to? 368 14
- Little Green Man needs help HGV driver LTD company 112 1
- Double entry 199 6
- FBI2 208 4
- Companies House 167 4
- Interprise software 89 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 511 19
- Charity accounting 267 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 125 1
- sage 123 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 157 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,065 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 221 4
- Small house in garden 158 1
- Clients 928 18
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 542
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 304
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 298
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 264
- Overdrawn director account 220
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 202