... and again!
HMRC have just called us regarding a client of ours. Leastways ... they said they were HMRC!
I asked for our agent code and was informed they don't have one! I said I needed to confirm they are HMRC and was told they were, because they have a 64-8 with our name on, but don't have an agent code!
I said their lack of confirmation that were HMRC put me in a difficult position regarding confidentiality and I got a sarcy comment saying 'they are only trying to help the taxpayer' and they put the phone down!
It's time HMRC had some proper procedures for confirming their ID when calling accountants, or taxpayers!
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 145 4
- CIC Company 519 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,336 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 282 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 865 18
- NALS Accountants Report 113 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,478 35
- Legal title not in the company name 285 10
- Dividend dates 571 10
- Sole properietor 192 4
- transitioning payroll 248 8
- dividend proposals 125 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 243 2
- Deduction from Salary 306 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 207 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,741 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 95 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 440 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 163 2
- 12 Pay Problems 258 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 364
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 312
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 274
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 232
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 231
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 204
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176