Another CT41G comment!
Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
Example: New client comes to you after having set up a Limited Company online somehow. You become their agent and want to make sure they have registered as trading and submitted the old CT41G information. They think they have but are maybe not sure because the old form has been replaced with an ambiguous kind of letter suggesting they do it online if they haven’t already done so. They often even presume they have registered all relevant information because the letter contains a UTR therefore they must have registered, Right? (Wrong!).
Being the kind of caring adviser that I am, I like to make sure for them, but the only way I can find out every time is by calling the new centralised HMRC number and going through a painful conversation with somebody who doesn’t know what you are asking half the time, in an attempt to find out. In fact I have already been told on one occasion that HMRC had the info when in fact it later transpired they did not!
I have even been told conflicting answers from operators along the lines of:
Answer 1: “If the accounting periods are showing as LIVE on the agent portal then they must have registered their info, otherwise they would be dormant”
Answer 2: “All the new company’s accounting periods show as LIVE as default, so that doesn’t tell you if they have filed CT41G information”
I myself have found answer 2 to coincide with my experiences and I know for a fact that companies can be showing as live on the agent portal even when HMRC do not hold CT41G information. So has anyone else got any comments on this or have any pointers that I might be missing to prevent these time wasting calls for both me and HMRC.
Something that shows whether CT41G information has been filed or not on the portal is surely the answer, but presumably faaaaaaar too complex to add!
- Scratch Head 299 1
- Year end 227 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 305 13
- A little knowledge 165 4
- Clothing 606 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 136 6
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,267 18
- Parent and subsidiary... 168 5
- Identity check problem 1,497 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 133 1
- Capital allowances on Software 225 2
- Designated sole Residence 205 4
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 105 3
- Company director and KIT days 124 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,184 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 868 34
- Digita in the cloud 73 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 238 7
- IHT and US resident 126 2
- Tax relief when working away 85 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 957
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 683
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 630
- Latest phishing scam 607
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 445
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 329
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 261
- Sabbatical payments 221
- Negligible Value Claim 200
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 198