Another CT41G comment!
Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
Example: New client comes to you after having set up a Limited Company online somehow. You become their agent and want to make sure they have registered as trading and submitted the old CT41G information. They think they have but are maybe not sure because the old form has been replaced with an ambiguous kind of letter suggesting they do it online if they haven’t already done so. They often even presume they have registered all relevant information because the letter contains a UTR therefore they must have registered, Right? (Wrong!).
Being the kind of caring adviser that I am, I like to make sure for them, but the only way I can find out every time is by calling the new centralised HMRC number and going through a painful conversation with somebody who doesn’t know what you are asking half the time, in an attempt to find out. In fact I have already been told on one occasion that HMRC had the info when in fact it later transpired they did not!
I have even been told conflicting answers from operators along the lines of:
Answer 1: “If the accounting periods are showing as LIVE on the agent portal then they must have registered their info, otherwise they would be dormant”
Answer 2: “All the new company’s accounting periods show as LIVE as default, so that doesn’t tell you if they have filed CT41G information”
I myself have found answer 2 to coincide with my experiences and I know for a fact that companies can be showing as live on the agent portal even when HMRC do not hold CT41G information. So has anyone else got any comments on this or have any pointers that I might be missing to prevent these time wasting calls for both me and HMRC.
Something that shows whether CT41G information has been filed or not on the portal is surely the answer, but presumably faaaaaaar too complex to add!
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 39 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,700 65
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 223 7
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 364 4
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 264 5
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 211 6
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 898 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 172 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 102 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 191 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 391 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 333 9
- Merging my businesses 137 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,724 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 517 16
- VAT on commercial property 147 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,047 49
- deceased creditor 207 5
- Corporate member of LLP 280 1
- Investment company 273 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 781
- RTI - duplicate employee record 537
- Pensions Regulator 444
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 404
- Sage Vat return box 2 307
- Sanzar 305
- Digital marketing focus group 288
- How do you do it 279
- Portia ... Where art thou 265
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 259