Another CT41G comment!
Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
Example: New client comes to you after having set up a Limited Company online somehow. You become their agent and want to make sure they have registered as trading and submitted the old CT41G information. They think they have but are maybe not sure because the old form has been replaced with an ambiguous kind of letter suggesting they do it online if they haven’t already done so. They often even presume they have registered all relevant information because the letter contains a UTR therefore they must have registered, Right? (Wrong!).
Being the kind of caring adviser that I am, I like to make sure for them, but the only way I can find out every time is by calling the new centralised HMRC number and going through a painful conversation with somebody who doesn’t know what you are asking half the time, in an attempt to find out. In fact I have already been told on one occasion that HMRC had the info when in fact it later transpired they did not!
I have even been told conflicting answers from operators along the lines of:
Answer 1: “If the accounting periods are showing as LIVE on the agent portal then they must have registered their info, otherwise they would be dormant”
Answer 2: “All the new company’s accounting periods show as LIVE as default, so that doesn’t tell you if they have filed CT41G information”
I myself have found answer 2 to coincide with my experiences and I know for a fact that companies can be showing as live on the agent portal even when HMRC do not hold CT41G information. So has anyone else got any comments on this or have any pointers that I might be missing to prevent these time wasting calls for both me and HMRC.
Something that shows whether CT41G information has been filed or not on the portal is surely the answer, but presumably faaaaaaar too complex to add!
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 190 1
- Share transfer question 302 16
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 229 7
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 534 10
- The stupidity continues 82 2
- New Employers Helpline 138 3
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 426 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 222 5
- Overlap relief 724 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,303 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 193 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 192 4
- VAT Query 194 2
- Sacked my first client 665 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 418 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 252 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,273 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 622 11
- Trades and deadlines 163 3
- How to pay national insurance 652 18
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 422
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 219
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Small Part Disposal of Property 172