Another CT41G comment!
Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
Example: New client comes to you after having set up a Limited Company online somehow. You become their agent and want to make sure they have registered as trading and submitted the old CT41G information. They think they have but are maybe not sure because the old form has been replaced with an ambiguous kind of letter suggesting they do it online if they haven’t already done so. They often even presume they have registered all relevant information because the letter contains a UTR therefore they must have registered, Right? (Wrong!).
Being the kind of caring adviser that I am, I like to make sure for them, but the only way I can find out every time is by calling the new centralised HMRC number and going through a painful conversation with somebody who doesn’t know what you are asking half the time, in an attempt to find out. In fact I have already been told on one occasion that HMRC had the info when in fact it later transpired they did not!
I have even been told conflicting answers from operators along the lines of:
Answer 1: “If the accounting periods are showing as LIVE on the agent portal then they must have registered their info, otherwise they would be dormant”
Answer 2: “All the new company’s accounting periods show as LIVE as default, so that doesn’t tell you if they have filed CT41G information”
I myself have found answer 2 to coincide with my experiences and I know for a fact that companies can be showing as live on the agent portal even when HMRC do not hold CT41G information. So has anyone else got any comments on this or have any pointers that I might be missing to prevent these time wasting calls for both me and HMRC.
Something that shows whether CT41G information has been filed or not on the portal is surely the answer, but presumably faaaaaaar too complex to add!
- VAT on motor expenses 873 31
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 143 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 172 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 146 4
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 261 10
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 729 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 378 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 190 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 314 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 95 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 382 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 86 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 315 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 391 9
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 125 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 91 1
- VAT Registration 453 19
- Tax Credit Overpayment 271 9
- Property Expenses - Allowable 144 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 123 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,538
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 845
- International interest certificate 464
- NOVA 323
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 221
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 214
- Bonus Bonds 203
- Management expenses for investment company 199
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 190
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 177