Another CT41G comment!
Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
Example: New client comes to you after having set up a Limited Company online somehow. You become their agent and want to make sure they have registered as trading and submitted the old CT41G information. They think they have but are maybe not sure because the old form has been replaced with an ambiguous kind of letter suggesting they do it online if they haven’t already done so. They often even presume they have registered all relevant information because the letter contains a UTR therefore they must have registered, Right? (Wrong!).
Being the kind of caring adviser that I am, I like to make sure for them, but the only way I can find out every time is by calling the new centralised HMRC number and going through a painful conversation with somebody who doesn’t know what you are asking half the time, in an attempt to find out. In fact I have already been told on one occasion that HMRC had the info when in fact it later transpired they did not!
I have even been told conflicting answers from operators along the lines of:
Answer 1: “If the accounting periods are showing as LIVE on the agent portal then they must have registered their info, otherwise they would be dormant”
Answer 2: “All the new company’s accounting periods show as LIVE as default, so that doesn’t tell you if they have filed CT41G information”
I myself have found answer 2 to coincide with my experiences and I know for a fact that companies can be showing as live on the agent portal even when HMRC do not hold CT41G information. So has anyone else got any comments on this or have any pointers that I might be missing to prevent these time wasting calls for both me and HMRC.
Something that shows whether CT41G information has been filed or not on the portal is surely the answer, but presumably faaaaaaar too complex to add!
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 62 2
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 154 3
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 91 3
- Late VAT registration penalty 95 3
- Research expenses for authors 171 2
- HMRC website 68 1
- VAT 50 1
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 360 18
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 107 1
- Pricing 211 8
- Sage error message 52 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 208 8
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 187 3
- Auto-Enrolment 3,144 158
- Money laundering POCA 213 4
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 109 1
- P11d mistake 128 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 189 2
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 486 1
- CLG exempt under s60 130 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 501
- Skandia using wrong address 450
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 242
- Employee rewards 236
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 209
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 186
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 183
- Etax Australian 152