Another CT41G comment!
Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
Example: New client comes to you after having set up a Limited Company online somehow. You become their agent and want to make sure they have registered as trading and submitted the old CT41G information. They think they have but are maybe not sure because the old form has been replaced with an ambiguous kind of letter suggesting they do it online if they haven’t already done so. They often even presume they have registered all relevant information because the letter contains a UTR therefore they must have registered, Right? (Wrong!).
Being the kind of caring adviser that I am, I like to make sure for them, but the only way I can find out every time is by calling the new centralised HMRC number and going through a painful conversation with somebody who doesn’t know what you are asking half the time, in an attempt to find out. In fact I have already been told on one occasion that HMRC had the info when in fact it later transpired they did not!
I have even been told conflicting answers from operators along the lines of:
Answer 1: “If the accounting periods are showing as LIVE on the agent portal then they must have registered their info, otherwise they would be dormant”
Answer 2: “All the new company’s accounting periods show as LIVE as default, so that doesn’t tell you if they have filed CT41G information”
I myself have found answer 2 to coincide with my experiences and I know for a fact that companies can be showing as live on the agent portal even when HMRC do not hold CT41G information. So has anyone else got any comments on this or have any pointers that I might be missing to prevent these time wasting calls for both me and HMRC.
Something that shows whether CT41G information has been filed or not on the portal is surely the answer, but presumably faaaaaaar too complex to add!
- Share premium or Directors Loan 749 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 373 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,428 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 171 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 447 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 120 3
- What would you do in this situation? 182 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 142 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 617 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 647 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 98 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 347 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 249 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 403 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 278 10
- Regional Development Grant 128 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,450 21
- Company car without a salary 245 2
- Bonus Bonds 392
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 383
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 295
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 261
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 183
- Finance Lease 158
- Company Car Lease 157
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132