Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 134 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 164 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,207 35
- Mortgage Reference 518 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 218 7
- Insovent companies 878 19
- New Build 180 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,293 48
- BrightPay quirks 192 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 801 20
- Website Content 144 1
- Personal Tax 623 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 172 1
- USA Tax Query 296 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 434 5
- last minute request 650 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 346 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 383 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,736 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 987 6