Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 281 15
- Value pricing 560 19
- Fee's for P11D's 254 4
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 374 1
- Childcare Vouchers 159 3
- Quarterly PAYE 159 6
- Audit Report Query 176 5
- Coming in from the cold 184 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 72 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,289 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 65 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 126 3
- Issuing an invoice as an individual (non UK resident) 67 1
- Thats Better 262 6
- reporting salary? 134 2
- apprentices 90 1
- Sage Payroll 254 10
- VAT 145 2
- Belated VAT Exception Application 225 7
- Enforcing A CCJ 256 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 764
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 519
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 389
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 213
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 212
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 195
- Director Loan account operation 194
- vat return 163
- Paye procedures for CVA 150