Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- Directors liability insurance and scope 56 3
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 527 11
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 31 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 189 3
- VAT - Medical Staff 87 1
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 88 2
- VAT 701/49 query 129 1
- backpack 79 1
- FCA regulated company in a small group 368 1
- Are you going to Xerocon? 1,119 27
- Questions from Liquidator 2,191 23
- Really?! 328 4
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 351 7
- Is the CT61 return dead? 142 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 804 10
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,011 14
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 536 8
- SSP and Contractual Sick Pay Query 358 9
- Commercial Premises Purchase using Company Profits 495 13
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 376 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 698
- 2015 tax year end 427
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 407
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 337
- Costly Accounting Software contract 284
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 249
- Directors' advances and credits 237
- DTA tie-breaker issue 234
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 216
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 196