Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- Sweet Tooth 31 1
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 155 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 145 2
- trading or dormant 71 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 46 1
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 986 11
- tax credits 94 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 491 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 164 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 550 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 248 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 99 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 184 3
- Foreign income for self employed 117 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 616 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 69 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 486 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 223 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 220 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 855
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 297
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 222
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 216
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 184
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 154