Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- Any Scottish members out there? 5,939 208
- Trademark Fun 107 5
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,462 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 133 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 161 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 638 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 183 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 161 1
- Recycle old study books 352 9
- Share for share exchange 141 3
- Wind turbines 136 1
- Looking for a qualified accountant 511 2
- Locum Doctor claiming costs for Home Office 186 2
- FL Memo - Any Good 406 7
- VAT claim 357 6
- How to reclaim input tax from mixed use redevelopment? 163 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 403 9
- State Pension 1,215 10
- Late Corporation tax return 358 7
- The iIns and outs of VAT 380 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,058
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 340
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 288
- National Insurance 242
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 223
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 222
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 207
- Payments on account coded out?? 202
- Non Resident 160
- Franchise income and costs 142