Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 98 3
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 165 8
- SAGE winforecast 226 1
- Trust 95 1
- VAT NETP and Tax Agents/Representatives joimnt and several liability 59 1
- Reverse charge on services between UK and IE 58 1
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 45 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 960 9
- Disclosure on Cessation Accounts 173 1
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 128 3
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 212 5
- I'm losing the will to live... 141 1
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 92 4
- Auto enrolment 1,563 15
- Annual Report - How to? 260 10
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 257 4
- Client's company struck off 2,042 26
- Accountants not providing all required information 134 3
- 15% restirction on lease cars 131 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,130 17
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 525
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 459
- EPS and CIS deductions 324
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 307
- Construction CIS LLP Company 297
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 288
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 243
- Overdrawn director account 210
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 203
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 185