Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- WC's and capital allowances 12 1
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 60 1
- How to complain about HMRC 1,085 13
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 165 1
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 956 12
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 383 8
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 778 10
- carry back of gift aid 97 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 110 3
- Dress code 1,280 29
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 371 4
- Scottish Independance 509 14
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 375 17
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 707 19
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 335 8
- NOMINAL CODES 336 4
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 189 2
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 733 5
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 288 9
- Interest relief before property is rented out 239 4
- CTA study material 747
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 463
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 347
- Employment related securities question 298
- AIM Stocks and IHT 274
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 240
- Trust for Employee 228
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 135