Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- s455 Directors loan 114 3
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 431 21
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 48 1
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,916 29
- Cash basis 694 24
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,152 8
- Non resident capital gains 57 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 389 12
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 333 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 511 6
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 152 2
- payroll software 488 9
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 300 8
- Fee base v staff ratio 562 7
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 291 13
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 98 1
- Complicated Company car purchase 285 3
- Statutory sick pay 395 5
- client threatening legal action 2,223 30
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 171 2
- Skandia using wrong address 597
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 324
- Employee rewards 301
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 267
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 236
- Etax Australian 198
- LLP in Construction Industry 159
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 142
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 137
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 129