Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,307 17
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 419 8
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,583 23
- VAT & capitalising 117 3
- Final year's accounts 142 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 252 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 286 5
- Errors in prior year accounts 821 21
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 307 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 233 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 132 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,971 36
- Invoice Help 246 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 176 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 246 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 235 3
- Sorry ignore me 907 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 588 5
- Free Shares ? 251 2
- Is this a scam? 580 7
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 532
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 192
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 190
- Probiz 177
- Married woman dies owning marital home 166
- What's the market like for temps? 165