Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,461 5
- How much does the company pay 69 2
- Help with CGT please 82 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 113 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 310 6
- Benefit in Kind 294 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 321 17
- Will I need to resign? 937 11
- Cocaine anyone? 668 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 256 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 155 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 199 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 181 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 846 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 549 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 720 13
- Personal pension 451 9
- Business rates consultancy 273 4
- Wrong tax code 187 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 115 2
- Hive up 515
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 476
- corporate hierarchy 455
- Advice - 299
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 246
- WWOOFers 242
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 198
- The booking.com con 185
- Cocaine anyone? 168