Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- Hobby Horse 784 8
- Non resident income. 448 20
- What sectors to target? 609 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 255 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 189 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,934 41
- Self assesment online 993 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 265 21
- Why do I do this every year 417 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 304 5
- closing limited company 182 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 97 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 522 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 254 9
- IHT and US resident 71 1
- Limited Companies Merger 211 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 142 1
- Practice management 386 7
- IHT and cash gifts 254 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 567 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 932
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 650
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 600
- Latest phishing scam 580
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 416
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 313
- Scratch Head 242
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 236
- Sabbatical payments 199
- Negligible Value Claim 175