Any effects of Opting to Tax on his non-VAT registered business?
My client has recently acquired a property which he is considering to Opt to Tax for VAT purposes.
He also has the following financial interests:-
1. Sole trader (selling vending machines) - turnover £1000 p/a
2. Partnership (with wife) (retail consultancy) - turnover £10000 p/a
3. Rental of canal boat (self) - turnover £NIL, but expected to be £50000 p/a (income starting imminently)
4. Rental income (with wife) (small industrial unit) - turnover £15000 p/a (plus VAT because of a previous Opt to Tax election made about 5 years ago)
5. Rental income (self) (small industrial unit) - turnover £31000 p/a
His total sole earned income turnover (i.e. non rental income) is £1000 and clearly below the VAT registration threshold, as is the joint earned income turnover (i.e. joint with his wife) of £10000.
A few of questions please:-
1. Is the canal boat income a trade or a rental business and will if figure in any VAT registration threshold calculations?
2. Ignoring the Opt to Tax position, is it right that the there has hithereto been no requirement to register for VAT?
3. If he Opts to Tax the recently acquired property, will this mean he has to register/charge VAT on his other interests (trading and/or rental), or is the new property ring-fenced without affecting his other interests?
Many thanks for any assistance.
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 196 4
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 119 2
- Industry Reports 33 1
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 59 1
- recompense capital input 222 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 749 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,160 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 710 31
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 285 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 108 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 241 2
- CT losses carry back 131 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 551 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 207 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 819 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 423 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,340 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 168 1
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 244 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 1,011 22
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 802
- RTI - duplicate employee record 568
- Pensions Regulator 458
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 416
- Portia ... Where art thou 344
- Sanzar 318
- How do you do it 308
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 275
- new investor structure 186