Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 91 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 561 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 25 1
- 27,000 Really? 1,073 33
- Legal title not in the company name 773 23
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 68 1
- This is getting boring 593 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 241 7
- pension paid by company? 95 3
- inheritance tax 407 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 330 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 222 4
- State pension 293 3
- Accountancy Career 120 1
- CIC Company 656 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,817 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,281 66
- Deduction from Salary 642 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 432 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 355 10
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 394
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 334
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 278
- How not to compose an email 260
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 222