Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- Holiday entitlement 563 11
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 165 4
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 405 12
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 329 7
- Spousal transfer and PPR 532 17
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 308 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 115 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 411 6
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 295 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 125 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,875 65
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 917 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 219 3
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 204 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 422 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 350 9
- Merging my businesses 179 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,742 73
- VAT on commercial property 180 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,073 49
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 787
- RTI - duplicate employee record 548
- Pensions Regulator 446
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 407
- Sage Vat return box 2 314
- Sanzar 310
- Portia ... Where art thou 295
- Digital marketing focus group 294
- How do you do it 286
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 266