Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- change director details just before striking-off 96 2
- Bank account frozen 146 3
- Concurrent users 755 10
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 183 4
- Where to enter asset disposal proceeds on CT600 82 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 188 3
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 216 7
- Set-off interest received against interest paid? 92 1
- VAT and selling on Amazon 85 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 877 26
- Writing Website Content 671 23
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 120 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 174 4
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 249 2
- Badges of trade 353 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 283 4
- CT61 Interest - Is it voluntary? 145 2
- AIA 353 5
- Seeking advice: Charging VAT on commission on my commission! 295 8
- CT600 X ERROR in relation to Tangible Assets 220 9
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 451
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 421
- Electric Car 355
- S222 Charge 283
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 263
- IP trans to holding company 219
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 201
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 194
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 164
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 161