Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 207 3
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 120 2
- are receipts needed? 522 14
- Gift of property & improvements 138 3
- General tax book with planning 192 3
- VAT Invoice 192 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 276 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 236 9
- Error in past Corporate tax return 374 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,261 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 307 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 817 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 139 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 251 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 170 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 476 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 399 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 265 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 216 6
- Accounting for a finance lease 179 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 902
- International interest certificate 513
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 302
- Management expenses for investment company 268
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 176
- tax on apprenticeship income 176
- P11D benefit received by widow 153