Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 145 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 163 5
- VAT on part of a closed pub 175 10
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 244 6
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 74 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 165 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 296 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 193 6
- SME Direct Debit 670 11
- Accountant software 440 13
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,031 23
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 188 3
- Accounting jobs in the UK 163 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 235 1
- CIS gross status review 116 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 132 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 374 6
- Flat rate vat error 250 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 106 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 378 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 760
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 485
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 301
- How to format a stock book 266
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 214
- Tax efficient holding company structure 206
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 199
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 174
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165