Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 243 7
- New Email Extensions 111 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 859 24
- SA302 188 3
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 105 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,064 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 259 2
- Dental practice incorpration 118 1
- Audit rules 154 4
- Go Cardless 268 8
- business entertaining deductibility 135 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 157 2
- R & D 107 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 86 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 113 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 172 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 160 1
- New Business Registration 220 5
- Hosted email exchange 137 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 154 1
- Xtuple 502
- Qtac payroll for bureau 336
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 281
- Industrial & Provident Societies 277
- Mehjoo 221
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 218
- New strategic report 173
- Domain name sale and limited company 159
- South African Government Pension 156
- CIS schemes 151