Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- Share swap 223 5
- Recording VAT refund and payment on Sage 50 9 1
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,688 27
- Director's minimum wage? 187 4
- Advertising services? 290 1
- Top slicing relief question no 2 94 1
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 517 13
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 306 4
- Maternity Pay 75 1
- Was I rude 423 14
- Surcharges on very late VAT 110 1
- Invoice factoring 244 8
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 345 9
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 191 2
- Entrepreneurs relief/ Company Secretary 134 2
- Work in progress calculation 121 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 946 29
- Help with share restructuring 103 1
- HMRC Employers Diary 585 1
- Advice please on best way forward 571 7
- Skandia using wrong address 1,471
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 797
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 435
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 407
- Sale of business 375
- NOVA 276
- IRIS Open Books problem 270
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 184
- Expenses claim for non employee 176