Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- Going through security 233 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 450 17
- Dividend Tax Petition 282 3
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 217 1
- Bank reconciliation 246 8
- Practice software 649 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 324 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 244 5
- Tax efficient vehicle 449 8
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 134 2
- Business only use of company car 195 5
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 224 7
- Buying a business premises in a pension 159 2
- Goodwill on incorporation 499 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 347 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 165 2
- Retail business software/accounting system 134 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 195 9
- Certificate of Tax Deposit and APN's 107 1
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 3,299 77
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 240
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 224
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 211
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 199
- Web site and client access area advice 182
- Expenses Software 179
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 166
- CTA Material 159
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 159
- Any thoughts on Capium? 154