Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- Reversing out RTI 43 3
- Capital Gain? 385 10
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 261 6
- BrightPay 598 18
- Classic cars investment 229 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 188 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 311 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 295 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 258 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 806 21
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 234 2
- H&W company 197 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 167 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 163 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 271 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 124 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 798 32
- VAT silly question 2,393 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,085 10
- Federation Accounts 364 10
- Benchmarking 489
- Possible Partnership? 430
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 409
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 409
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 348
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 207
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 206
- Clubs and Taxable Income 194
- Income tax on foreign dividends 189
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 184