Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 129 6
- Where do I declare dividends in HMRC's Computations software ? 66 2
- How to pay national insurance 452 14
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 75 1
- reduce rate VAT on conversion from 2 to 1 dwelling 88 2
- HMRC Email 261 5
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,858 21
- Employment status 167 3
- BIM47080 and director training before trade starts 152 5
- Accounting Software for Small Practice 971 23
- Hannah's blog post about fish 327 4
- Overlap relief 624 16
- Timescale for S455/S458 reclaims 142 3
- Ex-gratia payments 192 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 536 5
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 1,795 21
- Bumper Holiday Pay 186 2
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 252 12
- Government Gateway 1,075 17
- Intercompany advice 95 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 474
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 366
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 363
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 337
- Perkbox 303
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 288
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 263
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 257
- Document Management Systems 241
- WIP Software 223