Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- Lloyds bank ... 177 2
- Company Name - Number of Characters 93 2
- Bulk Invoicing 45 2
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 53 1
- cancellation of Engagement 438 12
- Profit or Capital Gain 81 3
- How to complain about HMRC 334 11
- Protocol on SEIS & EIS 95 4
- Car leased by Co, cost made good in full. Am I missing a trick? 159 7
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 666 21
- FRS percentage 211 5
- Adding Tables to Wizard 41 1
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 460 5
- Companies House 855 7
- Accountancy work for Farmers 303 12
- PAYE for a babysitter? 358 17
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 170 2
- Is a dormant CT600 needed? 70 1
- Preparing CIC accounts 85 1
- Feuding directors 554 18
- CTA study material 666
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 403
- Employment related securities question 250
- ATED Penalties 227
- AIM Stocks and IHT 205
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 181
- Trust for Employee 165
- Expat pension contributions? 159
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 120
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 111