Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- CGT history of shares 174 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 132 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 165 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 330 6
- CGT on sale of let property 107 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 173 2
- how do i get UTR 133 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 83 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 233 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 406 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 124 1
- Your comments please 314 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 188 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 119 2
- EIS 196 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 124 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 114 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 123 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 724 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 202 1
- Moving away from CCH software 966
- QROP pension input amounts 450
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 394
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 380
- fraud 303
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 277
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 243
- Construction CIS LLP Company 228
- EPS and CIS deductions 221
- Out of time or not? 207