Any IFAs out there?
By my reading of FA 2004, in order for a registered pension scheme to accept a contribution from an individual, the individual must:
- be UK resident, and
- be under 75, and
- have "relevant earnings" (of any amount > £0) chargeable to income tax (which might then be covered by the personal allowance).
So if a child is, say, entitled to a £1 share of the profits from a furnished holiday let, then a contribution of £3,600 can be made "by or on behalf of" that child. The pension fund can accumulate and grow tax-free until the child retires or dies.
Is that right?
Let's call the child Sam and assume he's currently 3.
Sam's parents have money to burn and want to make the best possible provision for Sam. He has a Child Trust Fund or Child ISA to which they make the maximum annual contribution (of £3,600?).
Does a £3,600 pension contribution make any sense?
If it does, what would happen to the pension fund if Sam died in his minority? and what would happens to it if he died in his majority but without dependents?
- What are you doing now 31 Jan is past? 109 2
- Limited Company 203 4
- I do not love you 248 4
- Gift of FHL - subsequent PPR not denied? 186 1
- Love is in the air 762 10
- Stamp Duty 341 5
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 750 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 898 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 406 5
- Paying Son 817 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 405 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 284 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,076 47
- Setting up a practice 651 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 635 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 568 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 497 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 249 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,874 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 467 1
- Foreign domicile status 316
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 304
- CGT for NOn UK residents 286
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 284
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 263
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 250
- Apprenticeship Levy 248
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 239
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 236