Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- Sorry ignore me 787 22
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 194 4
- Is this a scam? 436 6
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 253 4
- Employee overpaid who has left 91 1
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 221 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 254 6
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 230 5
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,181 17
- Childcare for clients 153 1
- One off meeting new client 510 9
- Employment allowance (again) :( 139 1
- illegal dividends 321 3
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 187 3
- VAT questions 311 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 122 1
- CG34 approved "without prejudice" 236 3
- SAGE V12 178 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,358 21
- Invoice Help 136 3
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 617
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 525
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 379
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 290
- Cancelled 276
- Cancelled 239
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 183
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 180
- Probiz 164
- What's the market like for temps? 158