Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 330 6
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 81 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 323 11
- Starting up in practice - safety net 152 3
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 211 4
- Rental property company 106 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 305 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 259 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 383 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 157 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 195 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 147 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 491 5
- Director's tax return 400 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 182 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,137 34
- Flat rate vat 240 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 196 5
- Coming in from the cold 391 3
- Splitting the tax year 193 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 819
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 570
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 437
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 317
- Free Tax Legislation? 291
- Director Loan account operation 270
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 260
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 257
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 235
- Paye procedures for CVA 178