Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 110 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,039 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 366 4
- Setting up a practice 356 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 480 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 435 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 251 1
- Love is in the air 522 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 652 17
- Stamp Duty 293 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,800 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 571 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 246 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 261 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 571 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 580 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 376 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 394 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 454 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 300
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 288
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 253
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 224
- Capital Gains personal representatives 220
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 208