Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- Partnership returns software 107 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 814 18
- Tasks for new trainees 166 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 281 10
- VAT on garage rent 147 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 95 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 170 3
- Property scam victim 321 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 249 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 64 1
- Have i messed up? 757 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 425 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 61 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 119 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 78 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 85 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 577 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 109 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,657 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 273 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,098
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 578
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 385
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 290
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 191
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 175
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 163
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 156