Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,080 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 119 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 597 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 112 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 110 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 162 1
- How to deal with prior year error 158 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 529 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,339 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,049 20
- Tax Calculations 657 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 408 4
- Exemption from CGT 235 2
- VAT Registration 245 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 467 14
- Autumn statement predictions 438 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 341 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 191 3
- Moneysoft error 436 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 649 26