Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- Help 154 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 85 2
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 212 9
- Where has Portia gone? 5,036 109
- Overlap profit 292 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 318 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,064 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 130 1
- Payments on account 185 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 81 1
- What do your junior staff do? 523 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 650 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 413 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 535 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 132 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,942 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 349 3
- On the high seas 115 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 148 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 859 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 853
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 342
- How do you do it 337
- Digital marketing focus group 313
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181