Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 236 6
- Scottish but not UK 216 6
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 88 6
- Sole Trade - Losses B/Fwd 229 14
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 58 4
- What is the role of an accountant? 129 5
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 171 3
- Construction Industry Scheme Age Limit 72 3
- VAT on introducer fees 77 1
- Company Accounts 390 7
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 281 17
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 266 4
- P11D Query 96 3
- CIS 309 10
- VAT1 Form- Question 7 203 7
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,076 358
- Complicated freehold purchase and CA 146 2
- Accountancy packages for FRS 102 204 5
- Tax relief on investmement in holding company 95 3
- FRS 102 and loans from a director 379 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,219
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 425
- National Insurance 324
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 318
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 248
- Non Resident 245
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 239
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 220
- Franchise income and costs 216
- Hands on experience of Digita 152