Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- incorrect old p60 55 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 448 4
- VAT on new builds 94 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 651 16
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 330 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 102 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 90 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 104 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,789 26
- Missing tax return 139 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 902 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 269 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 150 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 544 18
- Physiotherapy 224 3
- Inflation and fees 1,201 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 149 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 268 8
- CGT help please 134 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 334 7