Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- The return 666 25
- break even point 1,075 32
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 88 1
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 54 1
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 124 4
- IHT Query 386 8
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 85 2
- Charity accounting 57 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 985 44
- IHT on offshore settlement 142 2
- Get it off your chest 137 2
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 129 1
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 346 2
- Limited Company trading status. 322 8
- Payroll 170 6
- Classic cars investment 506 14
- Vat registration 170 5
- VAT ON MAINTENANCE PROVIDED TO ESTATE AGENT 100 3
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 210 6
- Deceased's Tax Return to date of death 226 2
- Possible Partnership? 549
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 545
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 479
- New Fangled Penalties 345
- Clubs and Taxable Income 285
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 268
- Loans to other companies 214
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 205
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 172
- Outsource Data Entry 172