Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- signature required 671 27
- format cell to exclude decimals 184 12
- Homing sandwiches 671 16
- Use of home Directors 45 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 765 14
- National insurance on an overseas employess 100 1
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 176 5
- Client handover 215 5
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 224 3
- contractor business mileage 116 1
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 234 6
- Use of home query 303 5
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 92 2
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 212 4
- Subsistence Exclusions 61 1
- CIS software 164 4
- A trust shall not want for a trustee 188 4
- Settlement discount 247 6
- Entrepreeur's relief 86 1
- IT advisory questions? 328 8
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,277
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 842
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 533
- Digita Hosted Software 348
- Credit where credit's due....... 324
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 250
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 209
- TheTax Donut 200
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 172
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 170