Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 1,997 21
- Treatment of deferment duty in the correct accounting period 106 3
- Solar Panel Income - Taxable? 186 2
- Value pricing 2,175 95
- Accountancy software for an imac 169 4
- CVA guidance 79 1
- LLP members share of profits 367 20
- SDLT on land 106 4
- Payroll Charging too much Tax? 225 2
- Can UK ACCA Practice prepare accounts for Indian company? 137 2
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 220 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 574 15
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 413 13
- PAYE Coding Notices 457 7
- March RTI Submission 142 1
- VT accounts licence key 547 9
- SDLT implications on an informal lease 86 1
- Renewable Heat Incentive Income - Taxable? 114 1
- VAT Option to tax 250 1
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 110 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 880
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 614
- Free Tax Legislation? 362
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 356
- Director Loan account operation 354
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 312
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 299
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 284
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 272
- Paye procedures for CVA 203