Any point appealing against surcharges?
A new client came to me last year needing tax returns for 2004-2010 as he had a rental property with tax owing for the last 6 years. The tax bill came to about £5,000. He couldn't afford to pay straight away so in the covering letter he offered to pay by monthly instalments and enclosed the first cheque. HMRC banked the cheque, issued the assessments but failed to respond to his request. He continued sending cheques each month.
3 months later the surcharges turned up. He appealed to HMRC on the grounds that they had failed to respond to correspondence and that he would have got a loan and paid the balance in full had he known his request had been ignored (I won't say turned down because they didn't even bother to answer). They rejected his appeal on the basis that no time to pay arrangement was in force. He now has to decide whether to take the appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.
Do we stand much chance here? Can their failure to respond to his request be treated as contributory negligence on their part or reasonable excuse on his part? I advised him to pay the balance in full immediately to lend credence to his claim that he would have done this straight away had he known, but I don't know whether he has or not.
Comments are welcome from those who have already been down this route or know the legal position. No comments please from anyone who doesn't know or is just guessing/assuming as that wouldn't be much help.
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 185 5
- Home to Office 74 3
- error on companies house accounts 315 9
- Clients 186 4
- Commission on holiday accrual 126 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 176 4
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,417 111
- VAT reclaim on costs incurred for VAT exempt services 91 1
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 153 1
- IR35 calc - which months' E'ees NICs and PAYE to include? 134 3
- Excel 2010 pivot table rows 49 1
- VAT rules on Compensation invoice to EU company 77 1
- VAT rules on recharge sales invoice 97 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 299 6
- Extension of lease in flat management company 160 2
- Client's company struck off 685 18
- 2010-11 tax return is incorrect 114 1
- Overtime etc for PT employees 210 3
- Newly Started Practice 367 7
- ACCA Accountants Report 164 1
- QROP pension input amounts 479
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 451
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 423
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 272
- EPS and CIS deductions 267
- Construction CIS LLP Company 249
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 218
- SAGE winforecast 185
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 173