Application for refund of clas2 NIC re smallearnings exception
Had a nasty choc Yesterday. Opened a letter from HMRC NIC office, and it was about an application for a refund of class2 NIC in respect of a client whose profits where below the small earnings exception for the tax year ended 5 April 2011. Aparently there is a time limit to apply for a refund which is the 31 January following the end of the tax year when the profits where below the limit.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a first for me. Never had any trouble before claiming back NIC.
Most time limits for claim for tax reliefs etc are at least two years why not the same for class 2. Or is it another way of making money out of the low earners?
When did this come about? Checked the guidance on application for refunds of NIC and one of the first paragraphs states "there is no time limits to apply for a refund..." but if you scrolled right down to the bottom of the guide there you will find a paragraph stating the time limit for application for refund.
Shame on you HMRC for not making it clearer.
This is was the client first period of trading and he did not have much income in that year, on top of it all he is leaving in London and we all know how expensive it is to live there. He is now employed and does a bit of freelance work as well but his salary is low and the refund would have helped to make ends meet.
Taxpayers are penalised if they don't register for SE and NIC on starting a new trade but they are also penalised if they have paid and found that they did not have too.
So I am going to advise him to register for the exception and if he did not qualify then they will have to ask for it..
The way HMRC works these days they might send him a demand in 10 years time once their computer system has caught up..
May I suggest something constructive which will save time and money PUT A TICKED BOX ON THE SELF-ASSESSMENT TAX RETURN TO CLAIM THE EXEMPTION WHEN THE TAX RETURN IS PREPARED. AFTER ALL THERE IS ONE FOR CLASS 4 NIC DEFERNMENT. THE TAX RETURN APPEARS TO CATTER FOR THE HIGHEST EARNERS BUT NOT THOSE WHO EARN VERY LITTLE AND STILL COMPLY WITH THEIR TAX OBLIGATIONS...
A very frutrated and angry adviser at the unfairness of it all..
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 331 15
- saturday staff 392 4
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 431 7
- Companies House Authentication code 162 7
- VAT on converting Commercial property to residential 36 1
- Sports Club - Option to tax 28 1
- Client refusing to change basis period 133 3
- Highlighting a line on cell click 44 4
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,441 42
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 163 1
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 497 12
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,953 65
- Free accounts system for small business? 340 6
- Payroll Software Recommendations 290 9
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 645 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 343 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 258 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 130 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 293 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 401 4
- Xtuple 585
- Qtac payroll for bureau 410
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 355
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 228
- Tax on damages received 207
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 169
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- PTP Software 151
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141
- Software for Belgium Company 138