Application for refund of clas2 NIC re smallearnings exception
Had a nasty choc Yesterday. Opened a letter from HMRC NIC office, and it was about an application for a refund of class2 NIC in respect of a client whose profits where below the small earnings exception for the tax year ended 5 April 2011. Aparently there is a time limit to apply for a refund which is the 31 January following the end of the tax year when the profits where below the limit.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a first for me. Never had any trouble before claiming back NIC.
Most time limits for claim for tax reliefs etc are at least two years why not the same for class 2. Or is it another way of making money out of the low earners?
When did this come about? Checked the guidance on application for refunds of NIC and one of the first paragraphs states "there is no time limits to apply for a refund..." but if you scrolled right down to the bottom of the guide there you will find a paragraph stating the time limit for application for refund.
Shame on you HMRC for not making it clearer.
This is was the client first period of trading and he did not have much income in that year, on top of it all he is leaving in London and we all know how expensive it is to live there. He is now employed and does a bit of freelance work as well but his salary is low and the refund would have helped to make ends meet.
Taxpayers are penalised if they don't register for SE and NIC on starting a new trade but they are also penalised if they have paid and found that they did not have too.
So I am going to advise him to register for the exception and if he did not qualify then they will have to ask for it..
The way HMRC works these days they might send him a demand in 10 years time once their computer system has caught up..
May I suggest something constructive which will save time and money PUT A TICKED BOX ON THE SELF-ASSESSMENT TAX RETURN TO CLAIM THE EXEMPTION WHEN THE TAX RETURN IS PREPARED. AFTER ALL THERE IS ONE FOR CLASS 4 NIC DEFERNMENT. THE TAX RETURN APPEARS TO CATTER FOR THE HIGHEST EARNERS BUT NOT THOSE WHO EARN VERY LITTLE AND STILL COMPLY WITH THEIR TAX OBLIGATIONS...
A very frutrated and angry adviser at the unfairness of it all..
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 45 1
- Invoice Help 201 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 112 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 202 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 192 3
- Sorry ignore me 876 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 541 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,915 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,226 12
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 132 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 782 20
- VAT & capitalising 53 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 296 5
- Free Shares ? 233 2
- Is this a scam? 549 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 293 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 271 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 148 1
- Peer to Peer lending 863 9
- VAT B2B V's Reverse Charge 101 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 621
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 529
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 292
- Cancelled 283
- Cancelled 242
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 188
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 187
- Probiz 168
- What's the market like for temps? 163
- Married woman dies owning marital home 161