Application for refund of clas2 NIC re smallearnings exception
Had a nasty choc Yesterday. Opened a letter from HMRC NIC office, and it was about an application for a refund of class2 NIC in respect of a client whose profits where below the small earnings exception for the tax year ended 5 April 2011. Aparently there is a time limit to apply for a refund which is the 31 January following the end of the tax year when the profits where below the limit.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a first for me. Never had any trouble before claiming back NIC.
Most time limits for claim for tax reliefs etc are at least two years why not the same for class 2. Or is it another way of making money out of the low earners?
When did this come about? Checked the guidance on application for refunds of NIC and one of the first paragraphs states "there is no time limits to apply for a refund..." but if you scrolled right down to the bottom of the guide there you will find a paragraph stating the time limit for application for refund.
Shame on you HMRC for not making it clearer.
This is was the client first period of trading and he did not have much income in that year, on top of it all he is leaving in London and we all know how expensive it is to live there. He is now employed and does a bit of freelance work as well but his salary is low and the refund would have helped to make ends meet.
Taxpayers are penalised if they don't register for SE and NIC on starting a new trade but they are also penalised if they have paid and found that they did not have too.
So I am going to advise him to register for the exception and if he did not qualify then they will have to ask for it..
The way HMRC works these days they might send him a demand in 10 years time once their computer system has caught up..
May I suggest something constructive which will save time and money PUT A TICKED BOX ON THE SELF-ASSESSMENT TAX RETURN TO CLAIM THE EXEMPTION WHEN THE TAX RETURN IS PREPARED. AFTER ALL THERE IS ONE FOR CLASS 4 NIC DEFERNMENT. THE TAX RETURN APPEARS TO CATTER FOR THE HIGHEST EARNERS BUT NOT THOSE WHO EARN VERY LITTLE AND STILL COMPLY WITH THEIR TAX OBLIGATIONS...
A very frutrated and angry adviser at the unfairness of it all..
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 461 5
- See you all on the other side 612 6
- 12Pay 334 2
- dividends 452 2
- R&D 260 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,125 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 404 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 318 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 281 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 502 5
- Seeking a tax case 562 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 427 4
- Companies house strike off 404 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 324 2
- Moving to the cloud 700 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 198 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 846 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 189 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,064 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 446 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 542
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 410
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 361
- IRIS and FRS 102 342
- Capitalising Finance Lease 305
- USA help 305
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 278
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 268
- Capital gains on rental property 247
- Sage Coretime 228