Application for refund of clas2 NIC re smallearnings exception
Had a nasty choc Yesterday. Opened a letter from HMRC NIC office, and it was about an application for a refund of class2 NIC in respect of a client whose profits where below the small earnings exception for the tax year ended 5 April 2011. Aparently there is a time limit to apply for a refund which is the 31 January following the end of the tax year when the profits where below the limit.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a first for me. Never had any trouble before claiming back NIC.
Most time limits for claim for tax reliefs etc are at least two years why not the same for class 2. Or is it another way of making money out of the low earners?
When did this come about? Checked the guidance on application for refunds of NIC and one of the first paragraphs states "there is no time limits to apply for a refund..." but if you scrolled right down to the bottom of the guide there you will find a paragraph stating the time limit for application for refund.
Shame on you HMRC for not making it clearer.
This is was the client first period of trading and he did not have much income in that year, on top of it all he is leaving in London and we all know how expensive it is to live there. He is now employed and does a bit of freelance work as well but his salary is low and the refund would have helped to make ends meet.
Taxpayers are penalised if they don't register for SE and NIC on starting a new trade but they are also penalised if they have paid and found that they did not have too.
So I am going to advise him to register for the exception and if he did not qualify then they will have to ask for it..
The way HMRC works these days they might send him a demand in 10 years time once their computer system has caught up..
May I suggest something constructive which will save time and money PUT A TICKED BOX ON THE SELF-ASSESSMENT TAX RETURN TO CLAIM THE EXEMPTION WHEN THE TAX RETURN IS PREPARED. AFTER ALL THERE IS ONE FOR CLASS 4 NIC DEFERNMENT. THE TAX RETURN APPEARS TO CATTER FOR THE HIGHEST EARNERS BUT NOT THOSE WHO EARN VERY LITTLE AND STILL COMPLY WITH THEIR TAX OBLIGATIONS...
A very frutrated and angry adviser at the unfairness of it all..
- Companies House 217 4
- When does my Property business start 286 5
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 891 20
- Gross Profit Percentage 281 6
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 234 10
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 156 1
- How to Value a Business 484 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 160 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 564 13
- How much did you pay for your website 507 13
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 127 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 389 7
- Company Pension Contributions 277 6
- Expenses allowable 196 3
- Let Property Campaign 394 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 148 1
- Self employment trap - pension 357 3
- Awkward IP 624 9
- ESC A19 141 2
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,546 43
- CTA study material 604
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 598
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 369
- Employment related securities question 227
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 200
- ATED Penalties 197
- AIM Stocks and IHT 179
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 139
- Expat pension contributions? 130
- Trust for Employee 126