Application for refund of clas2 NIC re smallearnings exception
Had a nasty choc Yesterday. Opened a letter from HMRC NIC office, and it was about an application for a refund of class2 NIC in respect of a client whose profits where below the small earnings exception for the tax year ended 5 April 2011. Aparently there is a time limit to apply for a refund which is the 31 January following the end of the tax year when the profits where below the limit.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a first for me. Never had any trouble before claiming back NIC.
Most time limits for claim for tax reliefs etc are at least two years why not the same for class 2. Or is it another way of making money out of the low earners?
When did this come about? Checked the guidance on application for refunds of NIC and one of the first paragraphs states "there is no time limits to apply for a refund..." but if you scrolled right down to the bottom of the guide there you will find a paragraph stating the time limit for application for refund.
Shame on you HMRC for not making it clearer.
This is was the client first period of trading and he did not have much income in that year, on top of it all he is leaving in London and we all know how expensive it is to live there. He is now employed and does a bit of freelance work as well but his salary is low and the refund would have helped to make ends meet.
Taxpayers are penalised if they don't register for SE and NIC on starting a new trade but they are also penalised if they have paid and found that they did not have too.
So I am going to advise him to register for the exception and if he did not qualify then they will have to ask for it..
The way HMRC works these days they might send him a demand in 10 years time once their computer system has caught up..
May I suggest something constructive which will save time and money PUT A TICKED BOX ON THE SELF-ASSESSMENT TAX RETURN TO CLAIM THE EXEMPTION WHEN THE TAX RETURN IS PREPARED. AFTER ALL THERE IS ONE FOR CLASS 4 NIC DEFERNMENT. THE TAX RETURN APPEARS TO CATTER FOR THE HIGHEST EARNERS BUT NOT THOSE WHO EARN VERY LITTLE AND STILL COMPLY WITH THEIR TAX OBLIGATIONS...
A very frutrated and angry adviser at the unfairness of it all..
- Time to ditch Sage? 395 8
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 138 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 430 8
- Fees 433 5
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 503 17
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 277 3
- www.pool.adzio 131 2
- Losses carry forward to self employed 162 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,870 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 277 3
- HMRC Post 561 7
- Transactions with directors 472 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 309 9
- Non VAT invoices 242 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 246 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,430 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 272 5
- Form 17 Download 190 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 589 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 406 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 417
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 369
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 250
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 213
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 189
- AIA 186
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 181