Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 967 47
- New starter error how to correct 100 2
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 241 4
- Summer house for business only 223 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 194 5
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 150 4
- SA316s 250 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 109 2
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 122 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 131 2
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 597 13
- Filing amended tax return 137 1
- Tier One Tribunal 229 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 841 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 124 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 142 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 265 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 170 2
- Another transfer of property 164 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 231 7
- Construction CIS LLP Company 614
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 600
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 390
- Pensions Regulator 360
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 297
- Using the correct forms 272
- RTI - duplicate employee record 268
- SA penalty proposals 260
- Accelerated payment notices 241
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 238