Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 79 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,265 19
- Scanners 171 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 88 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 162 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 234 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 403 9
- Payment plans for clients 124 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 230 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 246 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 391 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 449 9
- P60 or payslips? 98 1
- Property income in different capacities 109 1
- IHT dilemma 1,383 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 194 1
- IT advisory questions? 180 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 797 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 149 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 531 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,161
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 799
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 489
- Digita Hosted Software 321
- Credit where credit's due....... 275
- Director phone costs 237
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 227
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 203
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 158
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 140