Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Mortgage Repayment Sale of Property 200 5
- Backdate C79? 234 5
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 214 3
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 886 33
- White van man 610 21
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,472 82
- Software 371 9
- Company dividends 434 13
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 438 7
- Tax Relief on Bridging Loan 117 2
- Use of home deduction 543 15
- Copy Wanted 692 3
- Non resident income. 253 12
- Self Assessment University Superannuation Scheme 99 1
- 11pm and having a blonde moment 206 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 562 21
- SA late payment penalty 204 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 309 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 137 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 177 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 860
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 551
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 516
- Latest phishing scam 408
- Entrepreneurs' relief 378
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 339
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 322
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 304
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 216
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 194