Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Opening a Quick books file 155 2
- What are my legal responsibilities 376 15
- P11D Benefits - Accountancy fee for Directors personal tax 222 2
- cash the returned VAT cheque 208 1
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 223 1
- Remote subcontractors - due diligence 230 1
- Confict of Interest 329 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 244 4
- Business lending another business money (UK) 106 3
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 342 5
- P11d query 274 5
- Rental expenses 73 1
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 148 5
- No more tax returns... 1,548 13
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 424 6
- Signed accounts for bank 311 7
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 482 10
- Landing clients 437 15
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,162 22
- Termination Payment 230 5
- Sainsbury's mangement 989
- Calling franchise accountants 841
- Avanti Accounts 807
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 571
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 485
- Scammers 474
- MERGER ACCA MEMBER WITH ICAEW FIRM 426
- Potential new client 406
- HMRC online filing 367
- Anyone offering Probate Services yet? 198