Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- first year company tax return for a limited company 126 5
- Real names 1,231 37
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 388 7
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 87 1
- Expenses Apps 147 2
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 159 4
- Quick Easy Quote 230 4
- What are options for non CA firm 1,782 29
- Solicitor accounts 40 1
- Unallocated client money 223 7
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 176 2
- change of office address 109 4
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 216 3
- Incorporation Relief 114 4
- Letting income or partnership income? 91 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 353 4
- Furniture Rental Business 94 2
- Client Death 548 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 196 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 354 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 602
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 476
- Sorry ignore me 378
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 278
- Cancelled 241
- Cancelled 212
- Bartercard 172
- C79 Discrepancy 166
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 159