Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- First VAT Visit for client 193 4
- Dividend in specie 219 7
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 147 8
- Partially exempt? 227 8
- Lorry Drivers 125 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 34 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 72 1
- Mexican student in UK 110 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 186 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 285 12
- payroll software 88 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,040 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 84 1
- Pricing 325 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 239 5
- VAT 112 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 846 18
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 641 7
- Rental Income Tax Planning 209 3
- Vat 105 2
- Skandia using wrong address 476
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 274
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 268
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 217
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 210
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 201
- Etax Australian 169
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 157