Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Insurance provider not VAT registered so Out of Scope ? 133 5
- Client right to working papers 1,657 16
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,404 7
- . 190 5
- wills 252 3
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 245 5
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 253 5
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,091 18
- HMRC Online Services Problems 475 12
- Moneysoft Payroll 410 12
- 31st october deadline 174 4
- Self-employed 828 17
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 426 14
- Limited company taking a share in a new limited company 121 3
- Who owns the tax computations - client or accountant ? 675 17
- Seeking advice: Retired self employed working from home 374 6
- VAT registration and two trades 230 2
- VAT on residential properties 303 5
- Microsoft One Drive 824 30
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 560 8
- NHS finance professionals 678
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 416
- Foreign Pension Contribution 386
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 375
- vat gross profit percentage margins 372
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 363
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 316
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 288
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 257
- IFA income recognition & reporting 215