Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 741 16
- Deduction from Salary 927 27
- Accounts Software 305 11
- Group Audit Thresholds 372 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 844 25
- Yorkshire Day 186 11
- Collection or business assets 158 4
- Incorporated when they should not have 415 13
- Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33 192 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,797 42
- VAT for client based in Thailand 48 1
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 840 22
- Doctor and Locum Work 336 5
- Deleted question? 122 1
- Accountancy Career 438 8
- Flat rate allowed but not used. 73 1
- Employee and subcontractor 198 4
- Help with HMRC investigation 402 7
- SMP reclaimable by employer 193 4
- calculation DTR restriction 129 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 693
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 545
- Cancelled 432
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 364
- Probiz 339
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 338
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 219
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 210