Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Fees for successfully defending a COP9 enquiry 151 5
- The importance of Grammar 455 12
- Directors loan balance write off in period 318 17
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 29 1
- Childcare 177 3
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,396 52
- VAT Reverse Charge Accounting 154 4
- Entrepreneur Relief - inter company shares 130 2
- Sole Trader 271 6
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 440 7
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 422 19
- Its going to be fun isnt it? 1,147 14
- Freelance Accounting link 197 1
- Can I force IRIS to produce an amended tax return ? 122 4
- Hannah's blog post about fish 648 6
- Is this dodgy? 605 15
- App recommendations 538 6
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 112 1
- Working Hours Calculation - Rounding Hours up/down 237 3
- Can I claim VAT back on accounting fees? 393 8
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 353
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 285
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 270
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 269
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 256
- Electric Car 214
- S222 Charge 194
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 185
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 183
- Company Structure 161