Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 307 9
- Write off of former director's loan 625 10
- Added years superannuation 93 3
- RTI 244 6
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 18 1
- RTI Easement Until 2016 30 1
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 81 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 778 19
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 308 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,052 64
- Sole trader - bank statements 213 13
- Am i Liable? 526 14
- Childcare vouchers 78 1
- Late registration for VAT 84 1
- Experienced Mentor 111 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 877 14
- which software to use? 306 6
- overdrawn directors loan account 176 4
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 272 11
- audit for 50% associate? 64 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,250
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 616
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 322
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 224
- Alphabet shares 204
- Agent fees to sell business 195
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 192
- Office recharges 157
- Tax position on lease extension 145