Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- P11D Rejection 367 9
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 518 14
- Selling a practice 340 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,261 20
- Incapable of reading 119 1
- How to pay national insurance 140 2
- Overlap relief 461 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 107 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 80 1
- Dormant payroll 838 9
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 177 5
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 132 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,334 21
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 624 13
- PPR exemption on separation 146 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,549 10
- Intercompany loans 110 1
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 179 3
- Limited Company 339 11
- Sage renewals and terminations 133 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 442
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 345
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 336
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 311
- Perkbox 274
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 242
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 242
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 235
- Document Management Systems 215
- WIP Software 199