Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Non-compete agreement 178 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 195 1
- Any views 736 1
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 87 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 204 6
- IRIS Practice Management 142 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 102 2
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 269 8
- Pre- trading Expenses 86 1
- Was I rude 777 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 184 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 171 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 304 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 254 1
- Top slicing relief question 232 2
- Valuation of PET on death 116 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 273 6
- Share swap 292 8
- Online filing 168 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 332 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,480
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 815
- International interest certificate 446
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 419
- Sale of business 394
- NOVA 288
- IRIS Open Books problem 283
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 200
- Bonus Bonds 171
- Management expenses for investment company 171