Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 691 6
- US royalties 15 1
- What's in a name ? 78 2
- Sole trader mix up 231 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 859 27
- Help Required 179 5
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 194 4
- Filing company accounts 97 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 462 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 139 5
- Company Name - Number of Characters 243 7
- Bulk Invoicing 142 5
- late second payment on account 101 1
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 145 6
- How much did you pay for your website 1,350 22
- Is a dormant CT600 needed? 148 2
- What would you do in this situation? 381 9
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 565 6
- Project being run jointly 82 1
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 307 12
- CTA study material 686
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 416
- Employment related securities question 259
- AIM Stocks and IHT 240
- ATED Penalties 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 190
- Trust for Employee 178
- Expat pension contributions? 173
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 140
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 126