Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,306 274
- property rental income split 71 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 116 2
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 188 7
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 84 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 512 24
- Payroll provider 85 5
- Repairs after a rental business ends 281 9
- How do we report and pay tax liability of company car we give to employee? 111 1
- Family loan 344 8
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 328 5
- business card address 215 5
- Standard 'email' template system 803 13
- Donations (to a school!) 313 10
- Circular shareholding 138 3
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 258 1
- Employment related securities question 560 2
- Shutting down a company with creditors 951 12
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 261 4
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 100 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,104
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 362
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 298
- National Insurance 267
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 237
- Payments on account coded out?? 226
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 218
- Non Resident 180
- Franchise income and costs 173
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 154