Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Cash in Hand 24 1
- Buy to let and capitak gain 122 4
- Busines software 111 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 174 6
- Converting a barn for business use 179 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 299 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 302 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 461 10
- are receipts needed? 595 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 272 3
- Bookkeping software 709 7
- Clogged Losses 277 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 256 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 649 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 308 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 258 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 119 1
- General tax book with planning 256 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 194 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 200 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 906
- International interest certificate 519
- NOVA 370
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 317
- Management expenses for investment company 272
- Bonus Bonds 264
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 180
- P11D benefit received by widow 158
- EXACT ONLINE 153
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 150