Apportionment of existing loan partly to business
A sole trader has taken out a personal loan to pay off non-business-related debts. The loan has terms which allow any amount to be repaid at any time.
The sole trader now argues that if he invests say £1000 in the business (by purchasing computer equipment), this is money which, had he not invested in the business, he would have used to repay £1000 of the loan saving interest on that sum. Consequently, the interest on that portion of the loan should be considered a business expense for tax purposes since that £1000 portion of the loan is now being used exclusively for business.
Does this argument, that investments in the business are essentially funded by means of a portion of the loan, hold water? This would also mean that any subsequent investments in the business could also be taken to increase the portion of the loan which is considered to be for business purposes, so over time the portion of the loan attributable to business would increase.
It is clear that this would not make sense to day-to-day expenditure, but the argument seems somewhat attractive for investments into the business such as purchase of equipment and long term business assets.
Is this allocation of portions of the existing loan to business investments likely to be acceptable to HMRC?
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,190 17
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 270 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 400 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 165 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,119 13
- Really?! 832 10
- CIS 230 5
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,377 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 652 15
- VAT 701/49 query 229 2
- backpack 321 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 183 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 269 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 351 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 199 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 185 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 199 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 151 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 259 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 469 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 706
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 417
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 359
- Costly Accounting Software contract 315
- Directors' advances and credits 259
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 223
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 203