Are HMRC Bullsh*tting Me?
Client has p/t employement income (at a school) and p/t self-employed income from her home-based business. All personal allowances are utilised against PAYE income. Tax return was submitted online in September 2012.
Amounts "currently" owed are:
31 Jan 2013: £980 (balancing payment for 2011/12)
31 Jan 2013: £1,200 (1st payment on account 2012/13)
31 July 2013: £1,200 (2nd payment on account 2012/13)
Box 2 of "Finishing Your Tax Return" on her SA100 return states "if you owe tax for 2011-12 and have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect the tax due (if less than £3,000) through your tax code for 2013-14, unless you put 'x' in the box"
The helpsheet TRG 22 adds:
"If you owe tax of less than £3,000, and you have filed your return by 30 December, we will try and collect it through your 2013–14 PAYE tax code, if you have one."
The Revenue, most lately in the form of the (alleged) Business Payment Support Service, refuse to collect 2011-12's £980 through PAYE on the grounds that the total amount owed is £3,580 ie more than £3,000. I say the amount due is only £2,180 because the second instalment (of July 2013) is not yet due. My tax software (FTax) supports my view, having churned out a SA100 Payments Summary containing a £980 deduction from the January 2013 payment entitled "Adjustment due to change in 2013-14 tax code".
Does anyone please have any links that might support our case that the amount owed is less than £3,000 (so that 2011-12's £980 balancing payment can be collected via 2013-14 PAYE code)?
- Current tax asset 153 3
- SDLT on land 112 5
- Consortium relief and bad debts 54 1
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 87 1
- Value pricing 2,223 97
- LLP members share of profits 375 21
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,005 21
- Treatment of deferment duty in the correct accounting period 109 3
- Solar Panel Income - Taxable? 195 2
- Accountancy software for an imac 178 4
- CVA guidance 81 1
- Payroll Charging too much Tax? 228 2
- Can UK ACCA Practice prepare accounts for Indian company? 144 2
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 222 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 580 15
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 417 13
- PAYE Coding Notices 458 7
- March RTI Submission 145 1
- VT accounts licence key 551 9
- SDLT implications on an informal lease 87 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 880
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 614
- Free Tax Legislation? 362
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 357
- Director Loan account operation 354
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 312
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 299
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 285
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 273
- Paye procedures for CVA 204