Are HMRC Bullsh*tting Me?
Client has p/t employement income (at a school) and p/t self-employed income from her home-based business. All personal allowances are utilised against PAYE income. Tax return was submitted online in September 2012.
Amounts "currently" owed are:
31 Jan 2013: £980 (balancing payment for 2011/12)
31 Jan 2013: £1,200 (1st payment on account 2012/13)
31 July 2013: £1,200 (2nd payment on account 2012/13)
Box 2 of "Finishing Your Tax Return" on her SA100 return states "if you owe tax for 2011-12 and have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect the tax due (if less than £3,000) through your tax code for 2013-14, unless you put 'x' in the box"
The helpsheet TRG 22 adds:
"If you owe tax of less than £3,000, and you have filed your return by 30 December, we will try and collect it through your 2013–14 PAYE tax code, if you have one."
The Revenue, most lately in the form of the (alleged) Business Payment Support Service, refuse to collect 2011-12's £980 through PAYE on the grounds that the total amount owed is £3,580 ie more than £3,000. I say the amount due is only £2,180 because the second instalment (of July 2013) is not yet due. My tax software (FTax) supports my view, having churned out a SA100 Payments Summary containing a £980 deduction from the January 2013 payment entitled "Adjustment due to change in 2013-14 tax code".
Does anyone please have any links that might support our case that the amount owed is less than £3,000 (so that 2011-12's £980 balancing payment can be collected via 2013-14 PAYE code)?
- Practice management 137 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 207 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 78 1
- IHT and cash gifts 49 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 127 7
- Clothing 146 4
- VAT registration transfer 146 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 569 30
- Sponsorship & VAT 84 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 92 2
- Director drawings 387 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 322 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 89 1
- HMRC SA302s 201 3
- What does the "K" signify 430 7
- Director or self-employed 140 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 126 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 142 3
- What sectors to target? 202 7
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 129 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 905
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 609
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 577
- Latest phishing scam 531
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 375
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 343
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 281
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 199
- Capital allowances in first basis period 187
- Sabbatical payments 175