Are HMRC Bullsh*tting Me?
Client has p/t employement income (at a school) and p/t self-employed income from her home-based business. All personal allowances are utilised against PAYE income. Tax return was submitted online in September 2012.
Amounts "currently" owed are:
31 Jan 2013: £980 (balancing payment for 2011/12)
31 Jan 2013: £1,200 (1st payment on account 2012/13)
31 July 2013: £1,200 (2nd payment on account 2012/13)
Box 2 of "Finishing Your Tax Return" on her SA100 return states "if you owe tax for 2011-12 and have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect the tax due (if less than £3,000) through your tax code for 2013-14, unless you put 'x' in the box"
The helpsheet TRG 22 adds:
"If you owe tax of less than £3,000, and you have filed your return by 30 December, we will try and collect it through your 2013–14 PAYE tax code, if you have one."
The Revenue, most lately in the form of the (alleged) Business Payment Support Service, refuse to collect 2011-12's £980 through PAYE on the grounds that the total amount owed is £3,580 ie more than £3,000. I say the amount due is only £2,180 because the second instalment (of July 2013) is not yet due. My tax software (FTax) supports my view, having churned out a SA100 Payments Summary containing a £980 deduction from the January 2013 payment entitled "Adjustment due to change in 2013-14 tax code".
Does anyone please have any links that might support our case that the amount owed is less than £3,000 (so that 2011-12's £980 balancing payment can be collected via 2013-14 PAYE code)?
- Musician deductible expenses 72 1
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 369 17
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 76 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 563 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 82 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 274 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 136 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 531 11
- Flat rate vat error 332 7
- EC VAT 215 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 534 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 289 14
- can I claim a per diem 272 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 141 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,384 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 249 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 118 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 303 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 540 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 869 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 843
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 509
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 322
- How to format a stock book 292
- Tax efficient holding company structure 234
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 230
- Investment property company accounts template 220
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 214
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 186
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 182