Are HMRC Bullsh*tting Me?
Client has p/t employement income (at a school) and p/t self-employed income from her home-based business. All personal allowances are utilised against PAYE income. Tax return was submitted online in September 2012.
Amounts "currently" owed are:
31 Jan 2013: £980 (balancing payment for 2011/12)
31 Jan 2013: £1,200 (1st payment on account 2012/13)
31 July 2013: £1,200 (2nd payment on account 2012/13)
Box 2 of "Finishing Your Tax Return" on her SA100 return states "if you owe tax for 2011-12 and have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect the tax due (if less than £3,000) through your tax code for 2013-14, unless you put 'x' in the box"
The helpsheet TRG 22 adds:
"If you owe tax of less than £3,000, and you have filed your return by 30 December, we will try and collect it through your 2013–14 PAYE tax code, if you have one."
The Revenue, most lately in the form of the (alleged) Business Payment Support Service, refuse to collect 2011-12's £980 through PAYE on the grounds that the total amount owed is £3,580 ie more than £3,000. I say the amount due is only £2,180 because the second instalment (of July 2013) is not yet due. My tax software (FTax) supports my view, having churned out a SA100 Payments Summary containing a £980 deduction from the January 2013 payment entitled "Adjustment due to change in 2013-14 tax code".
Does anyone please have any links that might support our case that the amount owed is less than £3,000 (so that 2011-12's £980 balancing payment can be collected via 2013-14 PAYE code)?
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 22 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,253 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,228 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 966 29
- You know its over 363 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 503 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 235 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 189 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 173 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 275 3
- Cocaine anyone? 521 8
- Late Registration for VAT 496 13
- EIS/SEIS 154 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 281 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 430 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 432 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 729 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 565 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 600 4
- Personal pension 406 9
- Hive up 493
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 462
- corporate hierarchy 444
- Advice - 276
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 228
- WWOOFers 219
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 210
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 206
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 185
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 177