Are HMRC Bullsh*tting Me?
Client has p/t employement income (at a school) and p/t self-employed income from her home-based business. All personal allowances are utilised against PAYE income. Tax return was submitted online in September 2012.
Amounts "currently" owed are:
31 Jan 2013: £980 (balancing payment for 2011/12)
31 Jan 2013: £1,200 (1st payment on account 2012/13)
31 July 2013: £1,200 (2nd payment on account 2012/13)
Box 2 of "Finishing Your Tax Return" on her SA100 return states "if you owe tax for 2011-12 and have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect the tax due (if less than £3,000) through your tax code for 2013-14, unless you put 'x' in the box"
The helpsheet TRG 22 adds:
"If you owe tax of less than £3,000, and you have filed your return by 30 December, we will try and collect it through your 2013–14 PAYE tax code, if you have one."
The Revenue, most lately in the form of the (alleged) Business Payment Support Service, refuse to collect 2011-12's £980 through PAYE on the grounds that the total amount owed is £3,580 ie more than £3,000. I say the amount due is only £2,180 because the second instalment (of July 2013) is not yet due. My tax software (FTax) supports my view, having churned out a SA100 Payments Summary containing a £980 deduction from the January 2013 payment entitled "Adjustment due to change in 2013-14 tax code".
Does anyone please have any links that might support our case that the amount owed is less than £3,000 (so that 2011-12's £980 balancing payment can be collected via 2013-14 PAYE code)?
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 209 3
- Bookkeping software 676 7
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 419 9
- Goods Purchased for Rental 86 2
- are receipts needed? 551 15
- Clogged Losses 262 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 267 11
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 248 9
- Buy to let and capitak gain 59 1
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 639 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 299 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 247 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 104 1
- General tax book with planning 232 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 174 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 194 1
- Gift of property & improvements 153 3
- VAT Invoice 210 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 281 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 386 6
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 905
- International interest certificate 516
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 313
- Management expenses for investment company 272
- Bonus Bonds 263
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 178
- P11D benefit received by widow 154
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 147
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 146