Are HMRC Bullsh*tting Me?
Client has p/t employement income (at a school) and p/t self-employed income from her home-based business. All personal allowances are utilised against PAYE income. Tax return was submitted online in September 2012.
Amounts "currently" owed are:
31 Jan 2013: £980 (balancing payment for 2011/12)
31 Jan 2013: £1,200 (1st payment on account 2012/13)
31 July 2013: £1,200 (2nd payment on account 2012/13)
Box 2 of "Finishing Your Tax Return" on her SA100 return states "if you owe tax for 2011-12 and have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect the tax due (if less than £3,000) through your tax code for 2013-14, unless you put 'x' in the box"
The helpsheet TRG 22 adds:
"If you owe tax of less than £3,000, and you have filed your return by 30 December, we will try and collect it through your 2013–14 PAYE tax code, if you have one."
The Revenue, most lately in the form of the (alleged) Business Payment Support Service, refuse to collect 2011-12's £980 through PAYE on the grounds that the total amount owed is £3,580 ie more than £3,000. I say the amount due is only £2,180 because the second instalment (of July 2013) is not yet due. My tax software (FTax) supports my view, having churned out a SA100 Payments Summary containing a £980 deduction from the January 2013 payment entitled "Adjustment due to change in 2013-14 tax code".
Does anyone please have any links that might support our case that the amount owed is less than £3,000 (so that 2011-12's £980 balancing payment can be collected via 2013-14 PAYE code)?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 346 5
- See you all on the other side 548 6
- 12Pay 271 2
- dividends 344 2
- R&D 210 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,073 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 359 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 263 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 221 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 457 5
- Seeking a tax case 494 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 355 4
- Companies house strike off 321 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 257 2
- Moving to the cloud 673 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 189 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 808 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 177 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,036 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 407 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 533
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 403
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 359
- IRIS and FRS 102 338
- Capitalising Finance Lease 302
- USA help 298
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 267
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 257
- Capital gains on rental property 240
- Sage Coretime 225