Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,763 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 74 1
- Late Registration for VAT 161 5
- Registering a company late 219 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 265 4
- physiotherapy clinic 547 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,899 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 82 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,006 25
- Deferred Tax 119 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 71 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 406 7
- How much of your work is admin? 167 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,792 19
- Goodwill complications 145 2
- Personal pension 215 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 175 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 296 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 253 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 988 26
- TheTax Donut 1,011
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 671
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 619
- Follower cases 485
- Limited company purchase of property 413
- Hive up 408
- corporate hierarchy 379
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 376
- LIVE chat, starting now 320
- AIA or IFA 208