Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,182 42
- Group Audit Thresholds 302 8
- Legal title not in the company name 682 21
- inheritance tax 253 8
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 158 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 278 7
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 101 2
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 139 2
- Deduction from Salary 554 13
- Sole properietor 383 7
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,458 12
- Pay in Lieu of notice 248 6
- Doctor and Locum Work 213 3
- Farm barn lettings 189 3
- Capital payments offshore trust 84 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 120 1
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 148 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 211 1
- State pension 213 1
- NALS Accountants Report 313 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 637
- Cancelled 384
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 332
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 303
- Probiz 296
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 268
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 253
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 219
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196