Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 584 24
- VAT on exports to EU 85 2
- 5th April 291 10
- Company buy back of shares from directors 205 11
- Please tell me what to do!! 349 8
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,989 33
- Cash basis 139 5
- Cash basis 799 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 281 2
- Investor exit 253 4
- client threatening legal action 2,318 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 139 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 243 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 347 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,592 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 337 9
- Rental income 168 2
- s455 Directors loan 224 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 78 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,196 8
- Skandia using wrong address 612
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 327
- Employee rewards 310
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 275
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 239
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 153
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 141
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 139