Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 47 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 331 15
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 554 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 65 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 266 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 117 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 528 11
- Flat rate vat error 327 7
- EC VAT 212 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 527 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 288 14
- can I claim a per diem 266 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 137 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,378 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 246 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 101 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 295 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 536 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 863 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 165 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 838
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 507
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 318
- How to format a stock book 287
- Tax efficient holding company structure 229
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 229
- Investment property company accounts template 219
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 211
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 181
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 181