Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 68 2
- Partnership Registration 14 1
- Would this save hours of your time? 645 12
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 854 35
- Audit Required 1,167 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 289 9
- Residential Management Companies 64 2
- Value pricing 2,839 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 384 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 375 11
- Payroll software for Mac 114 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 96 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 211 5
- CIS and Close Company 195 6
- LLP members share of profits 630 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 423 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 135 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 95 1
- Registered Office 99 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 108 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 936
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 659
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 390
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 330
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 254
- Paye procedures for CVA 244
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 241
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 190
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 184
- Pension Fixed Protection 182