Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,087 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 95 1
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 630 20
- Do I need to pay my accountant 787 10
- Audit 70 1
- carry back of gift aid 166 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 290 8
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 454 13
- Awkward IP 1,138 12
- What's in a name ? 928 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 836 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 158 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 551 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 226 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 373 6
- Potentially dodgy client 384 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 558 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 455 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 399 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 540 23
- CTA study material 782
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 424
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 264
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 200
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 151