Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 277 9
- Practice management 147 2
- Flat Conversion Allowance 59 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 211 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 82 1
- IHT and cash gifts 65 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 135 7
- Clothing 165 4
- VAT registration transfer 152 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 577 30
- Sponsorship & VAT 89 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 105 2
- Director drawings 396 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 323 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 97 1
- HMRC SA302s 204 3
- What does the "K" signify 433 7
- Director or self-employed 157 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 128 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 142 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 907
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 611
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 579
- Latest phishing scam 532
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 378
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 348
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 281
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 200
- Capital allowances in first basis period 189
- Sabbatical payments 177