Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 128 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 47 1
- Your comments please 155 4
- CGT history of shares 108 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 663 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 182 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 90 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 181 2
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 56 1
- Closing my business down 332 20
- Recording Calls 71 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 73 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,280 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,494 21
- What do you all do in your spare time? 917 36
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 74 1
- VAT flat rate scheme 164 2
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 256 3
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 257 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 203 6
- Moving away from CCH software 960
- QROP pension input amounts 446
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 389
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 368
- fraud 292
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 265
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 234
- Construction CIS LLP Company 218
- EPS and CIS deductions 210
- Out of time or not? 194