Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 861 9
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 511 12
- Why .... 624 7
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 398 5
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 259 6
- Relevant life plan 279 7
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 126 2
- Business Transfer Father to Son 77 1
- Gift between companies 47 1
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 433 7
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 309 7
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 407 4
- Jointly owned property 278 6
- Interim Accountants through Ltd co basis 160 1
- Going to miss CT filing deadline 152 2
- Categories on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 282 4
- Flat Rate VAT - reclaiming VAT on Capital Purchase (bought on lease hire) 167 4
- The return 1,017 28
- Directors loan - no longer a director 179 1
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 564 10
- Possible Partnership? 583
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 495
- New Fangled Penalties 395
- Clubs and Taxable Income 317
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 288
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 241
- Loans to other companies 236
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 205
- Outsource Data Entry 194
- Moving away from CCH software 189