Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Error in audited accounts 117 2
- Pratice Management Software 164 3
- Use of home query 95 2
- IT advisory questions? 261 7
- signature required 549 22
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 259 6
- Vat registration exception 201 3
- CIS software 95 2
- Homing sandwiches 477 11
- CT600 134 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 189 7
- Settlement discount 156 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 520 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 194 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 177 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 137 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 221 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 141 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 192 2
- Related Party Transactions 133 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,252
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 821
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 526
- Digita Hosted Software 342
- Credit where credit's due....... 318
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 245
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 202
- TheTax Donut 185
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 166
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 165