Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Does anyone use quotation software? 545 8
- help needed with rti paye please 100 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 823 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 387 11
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,578 503
- Can't read my handwriting 784 19
- Undeclared rental income 382 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 313 7
- Sick pay 230 6
- Directors self assessment 141 2
- Employer's Helpline 211 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 105 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 187 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,758 70
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,089 8
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 954 27
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 134 2
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 311 10
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 251 6
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 449 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,410
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 539
- National Insurance 439
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 258
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 247
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 164
- Umbrella pay services 143
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 122
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 121