Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- I know ... 1,214 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 679 18
- Tax on principal private residence 217 4
- extra 5p per mile for passengers 220 3
- What are the typical deductible expenses? 242 2
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 129 1
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 218 4
- Personal pension contributions 247 4
- Claiming tax relief on goodwill 317 4
- RTI Filing 946 20
- Staff entertaining or not? 254 3
- Sole Trader Start Up- Employment Help 392 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 213 4
- IR35 and working for an EU company 129 1
- Shareholder Loan write off 452 21
- Getting advice from HMRC 657 14
- Tax calc and NIC 217 2
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,834 29
- German wanting to pay UK tax 356 3
- Employment allowance and service companies (outside IR35) 425 13
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 701
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 469
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 307
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 273
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 244
- growth voucher supplier 218
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 184
- VAT on Gaming Machines 169
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 156
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 155