Are we a high taxed economy - where does all the money go?
In the glorious aftermath of the end of tax return season I have turned my attention to a calculation that has been burning away in the back of my mind for some time.
Sadly enough I've often wondered what level of profit would a company have to earn to allow an owner/shareholder to fill his car with petrol? - and - of that profit, how much does the Government take a the end of his transaction flow? - I have run the analysis - see below –
Mr Capone would be proud!! I do wonder where all the money goes?
Assumptions - 1. Individual is a 50% taxpayer and owns 100% of shares in his company, 2. Company at the marginal rate, 3. Diesel 72.5p, 4. split of VAT and fuuel duty is as per petrolprices.com.
Assume net income of company at £215, Corporation tax is £59, div to shareholder is then £156, IT by shareholder is £56, resultant £100 spent at pump is £42 fuel duty and £17 VAT leading to a net spend of £41.
So the company earned £215 and £41 is received by the retailer - £174 taken by Government - an effective rate of 81%!!
Yes I know it's the worst case and you may wish to pay salary in the CT marginal rate etc etc but you could of course expand to take account of the tax in the hands of the retailer, I had to stop somewhere and I tried to make it interesting!! ;-)
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 235 5
- Bank Statement Scanning Software? 136 2
- Work to Rented Business Premises 135 1
- Not a question but made my day 1,160 23
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 382 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,149 24
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 131 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 263 4
- I forgiven loan an Output? 163 2
- V T Software 196 2
- Thinning income 346 3
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 136 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 348 4
- tax credits 262 4
- Past rental expenses 125 1
- What do do about VAT? 552 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 290 5
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 192 2
- Audacity 1,325 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 696 8
- NHS finance professionals 598
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 390
- Foreign Pension Contribution 363
- vat gross profit percentage margins 334
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 325
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 306
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 273
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 228
- IFA income recognition & reporting 200
- Incorporating doctors 193