Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Weely paid employees 229 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 120 3
- Reregister for VAT 98 1
- Would this save hours of your time? 434 11
- Director's tax return 249 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 195 6
- Value pricing 671 23
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 53 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 182 5
- Wrong career 455 18
- Payroo Employer allowance query 128 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 264 7
- Laptop purchase 1,376 20
- PTP software disaster 258 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 221 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 96 2
- Tricky VAT question 172 1
- VT accounts licence key 260 5
- Splitting the tax year 107 1
- FPS Submission 156 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 792
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 547
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 413
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 261
- Director Loan account operation 241
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 237
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159