Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- first year company tax return for a limited company 128 5
- Real names 1,231 37
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 388 7
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 87 1
- Expenses Apps 147 2
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 159 4
- Quick Easy Quote 234 4
- What are options for non CA firm 1,782 29
- Solicitor accounts 42 1
- Unallocated client money 223 7
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 182 2
- change of office address 111 4
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 218 3
- Incorporation Relief 116 4
- Letting income or partnership income? 93 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 354 4
- Furniture Rental Business 96 2
- Client Death 548 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 196 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 354 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 602
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 476
- Sorry ignore me 378
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 278
- Cancelled 241
- Cancelled 212
- Bartercard 172
- C79 Discrepancy 166
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 159