Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Dispensation pointless ? 227 4
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 526 16
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 575 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 181 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 303 6
- Charge out rates in London? 167 2
- Accounting jobs in the UK 64 1
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 122 3
- pre letting expenses 149 2
- Expat working back in UK 94 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 86 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 405 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 273 6
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 98 3
- change of paye software 509 13
- Which software for practice books? 468 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 243 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 529 2
- share capital calculation 282 14
- Renting property to yourself 460 12
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 738
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 475
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 290
- How to format a stock book 252
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 203
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 186
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 163