Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- 2 companies, one payroll 118 3
- Director Liability 32 1
- Freelance/Employee 354 9
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 127 4
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 377 4
- exemptions from CIS 235 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 557 10
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 76 1
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 182 5
- Xero Pain Points 632 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 263 13
- The importance of Grammar 1,732 52
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 214 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,671 56
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 384 3
- How much do you pay for Xero? 293 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 597 23
- Cut-off accounting question 393 8
- VAT reverse charge on consulting from EC 112 2
- VAT Reclaim 209 7
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 393
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 349
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 333
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 313
- Electric Car 265
- S222 Charge 230
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 226
- Company Structure 206
- IP trans to holding company 169
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 168