Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,774 290
- ICPA-Scotland 142 2
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 170 1
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 253 4
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 165 2
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 515 10
- Declined for business bank account 312 6
- Help with Mortgage Application? 509 7
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 219 10
- Standard 'email' template system 904 14
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,058 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 229 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 107 1
- Circular shareholding 257 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 210 6
- business card address 334 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 214 2
- Loan to a related company 142 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 693 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 348 10
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,122
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 369
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 301
- National Insurance 272
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 240
- Payments on account coded out?? 233
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 226
- Non Resident 192
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 191
- Franchise income and costs 180