Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 274 13
- VAT flat rate scheme 223 4
- Unpaid Fee's 430 8
- IHT on offshore settlement 107 1
- Subcontracting accountancy work 101 2
- Client information from previous accountant 248 5
- Tax and NI on payment to overseas employee 177 2
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 310 10
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 200 9
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 246 5
- Corporation Tax DTR 922 9
- PAYE NI 197 4
- break even point 1,038 31
- Tasbook email configuration 214 3
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 245 4
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 134 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 409 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 232 2
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,696 31
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 166 1
- Possible Partnership? 519
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 499
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 470
- New Fangled Penalties 314
- Clubs and Taxable Income 264
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 261
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 258
- Loans to other companies 198
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 173
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 163