Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,661 38
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 284 6
- Tax implication on superannuation 177 3
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,550 25
- GRNI - Normal Balance 65 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 207 3
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 219 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 811 13
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 97 2
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,296 24
- VAT - Check on clients business 907 37
- Second Limited Company 116 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 492 10
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 290 8
- Probate services 367 7
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 493 20
- trading losses allowable? 758 14
- Post AAT? 689 3
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 141 1
- Treatment of valuation fee for IHT. 194 2