Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Sage Priority Support 95 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 684 18
- incorrect old p60 121 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 485 4
- VAT on new builds 116 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 346 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 125 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 118 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 137 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,841 26
- Missing tax return 178 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 920 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 276 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 163 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 557 18
- Physiotherapy 246 3
- Inflation and fees 1,219 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 170 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 283 8
- CGT help please 151 1