Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 487 17
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 73 2
- Director drawings 58 3
- Carrying forward self employment losses 138 7
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 356 17
- Balancing allowance/charge calculation on cessation of self-employment 17 1
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 142 7
- client can't/won't pay 1,755 33
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 76 2
- how much to charge 233 6
- Charities and VAT 133 11
- Rental losses 82 2
- EIS reinvestment relief 193 13
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 162 3
- HMRC SA system 99 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,507 53
- Company dividends 868 36
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 181 5
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 94 2
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 92 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 897
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 594
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 565
- Latest phishing scam 520
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 368
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 336
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 275
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 193
- Capital allowances in first basis period 173
- Sabbatical payments 167