Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 25 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 215 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,213 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 345 6
- Go Cardless 370 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 307 3
- Mehjoo 323 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 109 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 371 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 188 4
- SA302 330 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 286 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 214 4
- Hmrc software 249 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 174 1
- Hosted email exchange 188 5
- South African Government Pension 184 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 379 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 325 13
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 233
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 207
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 204
- Domain name sale and limited company 178
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151