Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,095 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 49 1
- OneNote is fantastic 120 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 306 5
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 219 2
- PPR on a development? 222 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 319 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 887 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,784 15
- Cloud accounting package 179 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,020 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 508 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 302 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 194 3
- Next Move 398 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 413 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 231 4
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 347 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 723 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 302 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 637
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 395
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 378
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 240
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 227
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 223