Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 247 7
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 259 1
- Know it alls (who don't) 708 17
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,597 51
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 632 21
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 713 13
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 177 3
- Incorporation with pending court case 113 2
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 352 17
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 137 3
- VAT on motor expenses 969 36
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 517 11
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 95 3
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 247 4
- Share swap 453 17
- CIS Deductions 146 6
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,850 28
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 468 14
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 866 17
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 184 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,567
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 865
- International interest certificate 477
- NOVA 333
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 243
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 220
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 211
- Help with tax codes on Sage 165
- Capital reduction 156