Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Redundancy pay for directors? 219 8
- CIC Company 442 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 434 6
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 454 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,808 47
- Small company audit 226 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 208 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 215 5
- Problem partnership fees 127 1
- Car financed by employee 112 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 109 1
- Undisclosed income 184 3
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 298 8
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 251 4
- Private Investment Company 141 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 131 1
- New company - form a group? 203 3
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 802 17
- What are options for non CA firm 2,713 57
- Is this a scam? 831 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 605
- Cancelled 353
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 288
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 261
- Probiz 248
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 204
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 189
- Car leasing scheme 186
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 180