Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 209 6
- New business - journal entries 371 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 211 3
- Payroll software 633 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 245 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 382 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 720 18
- B2B vat in the EU 173 4
- Coding Notice 207 6
- VAT on Hire Purchase 128 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 192 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 217 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 186 4
- LLP as member of LLP 126 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,816 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 496 7
- Vat 295 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,297 13
- Recharge for private use of a company car 216 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 187 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 845
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 716
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 401
- Social investment tax relief 216
- Digita Hosted Software 209
- Call Centre Data Costs 197
- accounting for this transaction 176
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 170
- Travel costs and contractors 165
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 157