Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- What does it mean?? 334 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 284 13
- VAT on motor expenses 887 32
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 80 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 60 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,705 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,299 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 91 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 137 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 160 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 189 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 154 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 741 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 386 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 204 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 330 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 112 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 391 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 94 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 327 15
- Skandia using wrong address 1,547
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 471
- NOVA 328
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 230
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 219
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Management expenses for investment company 207
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 202
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 190