Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Keytime 341 5
- HMRC's "HVA" list .... High Volume Agents 758 11
- VAT within EC 181 4
- Nine-Page Engagement Letters 775 14
- VAT on entertaining - Gross amount on VAT return 75 1
- Deadline for appeal against late filing 155 3
- How does one compete? 702 9
- Great Service 1,264 17
- About your hairdresser clients 542 21
- Pool vehicle with age restriction 122 2
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 2,612 29
- Income for self employed associate dentist? 139 1
- Redundancy for husband and wife ltd co 159 2
- Transferring Shares From Manx Co to Cayman Island Co 147 3
- Trust setting on HMRC CT600 138 4
- Employee tears suit... 275 3
- PAYE & NIC 776 35
- Related party not trading -should debt be written off ? 109 1
- Income £10k salary and £20k net dividends 499 16
- £NIL EPS's wiping out CIS deductions 291 4
- Sanzar 534
- Digital marketing focus group 417
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 388
- Sainsbury's mangement 382
- Continuity Agreement 357
- Avanti Accounts 356
- Buyback 309
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 258
- Aggresive sales from Iris 254
- Charity volunteers and mileage 218