Are website development costs capital goods for VAT FRS?
We have a bit of a dispute with HMRC on the flat rate scheme and reclaiming input VAT outside of the scheme on capital items.
We are trying to reclaim the VAT on website development costs. The costs was well over the £2k minimum, and within all the other requirements as far as I can see.
HMRC have come back and disallowed it, sending me to looking at Chapter 15 of Public Notice 733, as well as Regulations 55E of VAT Regulations 1995.
From looking at these, I can see no example of why our capital item would be excluded - it falls within none of the 'exclusions' that these notices go through.
Neither of these publications though are clear on what is meant by the 'services' exclusion - does anyone have experience of this??
Secondly, if the VAT say it is not a capital item, can I then expense the item through the P&L (rather than in fixed assets where it is now) and reclaim corporation tax? Or can the VAT treatment and the accounting treatment be different?
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 269 4
- Cocaine anyone? 132 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,467 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 815 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 445 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 248 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 323 11
- Tax return software for remote working 471 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 536 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 440 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 447 9
- How to purchase business premises? 160 2
- Will I need to resign? 825 10
- Childcare vouchers 181 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 273 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 299 6
- VAT avoidance? 235 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 190 3
- PAYE coding out 200 3
- Follower cases 577 2
- Hive up 476
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 438
- corporate hierarchy 416
- Advice - 249
- Amortisation of Goodwill 220
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 207
- WWOOFers 202
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 188
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 183
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 179