Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Insovent companies 838 18
- Rounding errors on CT600 92 4
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,284 48
- BrightPay quirks 153 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 78 1
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 780 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,162 31
- Website Content 70 1
- Mortgage Reference 468 5
- Personal Tax 611 12
- New Build 140 1
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 109 1
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 142 1
- USA Tax Query 276 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 422 5
- last minute request 628 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 329 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 362 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,721 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 983 6