Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- VAT refund 294 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,262 37
- flat rate scheme 72 2
- Turnover on a tax return 527 12
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 76 2
- incorrect old p60 550 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 91 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 177 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 131 1
- Special dividends & CGT 195 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 175 1
- Networking 347 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 272 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 302 4
- Corrupt excel .XLSX file 151 1
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 332 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 281 2
- IT Contractor 283 1
- Sage instant account codes 199 1
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 300 1