Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Capital Gain? 492 13
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 612 15
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 84 1
- Income tax on foreign dividends 224 2
- break even point 581 18
- How much to charge? 167 3
- Simple consolidation question 86 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 381 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 988 27
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 157 4
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 401 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 201 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 260 5
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 100 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 150 4
- IHT Query 221 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 435 2
- BrightPay 693 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 238 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 456 8
- Possible Partnership? 463
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 440
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 427
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 232
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 226
- Clubs and Taxable Income 216
- New Fangled Penalties 212
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 211
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 181
- Loans to other companies 167