Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Partnership returns software 111 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 815 18
- Tasks for new trainees 168 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 284 10
- VAT on garage rent 149 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 97 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 171 3
- Property scam victim 323 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 251 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 66 1
- Have i messed up? 757 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 426 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 64 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 121 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 83 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 87 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 579 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 110 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,659 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 276 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,100
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 579
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 386
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 291
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 191
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157