Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 98 2
- Accountants' Error 200 3
- Accountant Error 24 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,104 17
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 47 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 287 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 88 2
- Companies House Abbreviated Accounts 380 5
- Deferral relief 53 1
- Wear and tear allowance 356 5
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 629 25
- HMRC Enquiry 485 3
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 208 2
- Share swap 102 1
- Cashback 324 2
- another ir35!!!! 213 2
- Settlement, or any other issues? 86 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 99 3
- Buying blocks of fees 386 2
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 276 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,430
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 737
- Any views 677
- HMRC Employers Diary 506
- International interest certificate 414
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 376
- Sale of business 330
- NOVA 237
- Advertising services? 231
- IRIS Open Books problem 224