Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 74 3
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 85 2
- ATED Penalties 239 1
- late second payment on account 125 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 337 13
- US royalties 42 2
- Project being run jointly 102 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 156 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 88 3
- Sole trader mix up 264 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 709 6
- What's in a name ? 137 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 876 27
- Help Required 219 5
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 198 4
- Filing company accounts 120 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 478 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 147 5
- Company Name - Number of Characters 247 7
- Bulk Invoicing 144 5
- CTA study material 690
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 418
- Employment related securities question 260
- AIM Stocks and IHT 240
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 193
- Trust for Employee 179
- Expat pension contributions? 175
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 148
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 112
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 105