Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 812 16
- Cloud accounting package 140 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,005 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 487 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 271 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 168 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 262 6
- Next Move 358 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 399 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 206 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 251 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 342 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 708 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 295 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 182 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,244 34
- Casual Driver 269 4
- Self Assessment Software 634 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 346 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,268 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 632
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Property letting & CAs 377
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- 2015 tax year end 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 233
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 225
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 220