Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 568 11
- Freehold management company 129 3
- The importance of Grammar 1,791 54
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 179 3
- 2 companies, one payroll 167 5
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 202 6
- System selection 224 3
- Student Loan Box in Year Repaid 86 1
- Director Liability 94 2
- Freelance/Employee 375 9
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 153 4
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 382 4
- exemptions from CIS 246 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 566 10
- Xero Pain Points 640 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 271 13
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 237 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,694 56
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 399 3
- How much do you pay for Xero? 310 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 393
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 354
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 333
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 315
- Electric Car 267
- S222 Charge 230
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 226
- Company Structure 207
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 172
- IP trans to holding company 169