Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Giving advice to friends / family 87 2
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 203 5
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 328 7
- Ex Gratia payments 111 2
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,208 27
- Employee satisfaction surveys 79 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,237 17
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,346 21
- CIS and Close Company 137 3
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 302 1
- VAT Option to tax 486 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 196 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 206 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 141 2
- Director leaving in month 1 185 2
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 308 3
- Selling assets to yourself ? 205 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 203 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 185 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 60 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 916
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 645
- Free Tax Legislation? 411
- Director Loan account operation 407
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 350
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 323
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 230
- Paye procedures for CVA 224
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 199
- Pension Fixed Protection 163