Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Where has Portia gone? 5,083 111
- Help 204 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 107 2
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 255 9
- Overlap profit 298 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 324 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,069 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 142 1
- Payments on account 193 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 98 1
- What do your junior staff do? 530 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 663 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 420 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 542 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 134 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,945 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 362 3
- On the high seas 117 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 149 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 863 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 854
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 344
- How do you do it 338
- Digital marketing focus group 313
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181