Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- The stupidity continues 716 37
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 246 4
- transactions after account have been closed 201 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 190 5
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 537 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 230 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 135 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,341 25
- New Employers Helpline 210 4
- Software recommendations 279 1
- Share transfer question 389 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 337 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 191 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,465 19
- Overlap relief 761 19
- What is IRIS World like? 371 8
- Pension contributions 385 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 514 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 219 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 290 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 440
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 436
- WIP Software 301
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 236
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 233
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 210
- Is there anything wrong with this? 206
- Small Part Disposal of Property 191
- Uncommercial property business 183