Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 245 5
- See you all on the other side 450 6
- 12Pay 194 2
- dividends 234 2
- R&D 180 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,031 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 321 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 229 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 170 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 416 5
- Seeking a tax case 430 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 299 4
- Companies house strike off 251 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 215 2
- Moving to the cloud 654 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 177 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 786 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 164 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,012 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 365 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 528
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 399
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 356
- IRIS and FRS 102 333
- Capitalising Finance Lease 296
- USA help 292
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 255
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 254
- Capital gains on rental property 233
- Sage Coretime 219