Asset disposal where company is subject to partial exemption
Have a general query from a client and not enough time to research whilst filing all those nasty late SA returns!!
My client has significant VAT partial exemption (a golf club).
They are part ex'ing and replacing a significant piece of plant - am I correct in assuming that the allowable % recovery on the original plant (approx 20%) would then mean the same % was the repayable vat on the disposal?
eg original cost £50k plus vat £10k, but input claim restricted via partial exemption to 20% (ie £2k). Now being disposed for £16k to finance company therefore being
£13,333 net and vat of £2,667 vat. Would have imagined the output VAT on disposal would be the same as the allowable % when originally purchased - otherwise they only recovered £2,000 when purchased and then have to pay £2,667 on the disposal!!
Appreciate there may be a simple answer to this and many thanks in advance!
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 150 3
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 189 14
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 92 1
- Invoice Help 224 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 152 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 228 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 219 3
- Sorry ignore me 893 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 571 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,941 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,254 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 799 20
- VAT & capitalising 86 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 340 5
- Free Shares ? 245 2
- Is this a scam? 564 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 297 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 279 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 152 1
- Peer to Peer lending 870 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 624
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 530
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 284
- Cancelled 244
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 191
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 170
- What's the market like for temps? 165
- Married woman dies owning marital home 165