Attracting Very Small Business Clients
I'd be really grateful for some marketing advice from the great and the good of the accountingweb.
I have been doing some thinking about the kind of clients that I most enjoy working for and I have decided to target very small businesses with my marketing. That is sole traders and limited companies with a turnover under £100k. I know the fees I can expect for these types of clients will not be huge, but I love doing the work and I enjoy working for the people. Also, I feel a have sufficient expertise and experience with these types of business to provide an excellant service. I just wondered if there was anyone else out there, with a similar focus and/or can recommend any really effective marketing techniques for targeting this sector?
Without boring everyone to tears, here is some background. I am a sole practitioner operating through a limited company and working from home. My only "employee" is my Mum who is AAT qualified and does the bookkeeping work for me (for free!). I don't do any traditional newspaper or phone book advertising. I have a reasonably basic website that is designed by me and so I'm quite certain is fairly unique. I have used targeted mailshots in the past with reasonable success and distributed postcards with fairly poor success. I get some referrals but not enough to grow as quickly as I'd like. I have been running a twitter, facebook and linked in pages but I am starting to doubt whether twitter and linked in will get me to my target market. Facebook might be more successful as many of my old schoolmates are in trades.
Also, I am aiming for a turnover of £50k per annum working 20-30 hours per week. My overheads are minimal and my chargeout rate is £50 per hour on accountancy work. I know the figures work on paper to make an turnover of £50k achievable but I wondered if it was realistic? CPD, Marketing, Practice Admin and faffing about on Accountingweb seems to swallow up a disproportionate amount of time.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.
- VAT on garage rent 135 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 91 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 801 17
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 160 3
- Property scam victim 317 5
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 262 9
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 241 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 55 1
- Have i messed up? 750 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 424 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 57 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 105 2
- Tasks for new trainees 149 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 70 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 73 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 569 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 106 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,650 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 261 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,814 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,093
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 576
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 384
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 289
- Charge out rates in London? 243
- Interest on Loan to a Company 190
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 175
- Agent fees to sell business 164
- Alphabet shares 161
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 155