Australian Superannuation fund
I have a retired client who has been non-resident (and non-domiciled) for many years. She receives pension income from an Australian superannuation fund which is paid to her and her husband in Australia tax free as the money was originally taxed going into the fund.
For family reasons, last year she became resident (here for more than 181 days in the tax year). Under article 17 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty "Pensions (including government pensions) and annuities paid to a resident of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that State" which would imply that it is taxable in the UK while she is resident in the UK, however, since the pension appears to be not taxable in Australia (by virtue of it being paid from taxed income in the first place) it seems inequitable that it would be taxed in full in the UK. Does anyone have any experience of income from this kind of fund?
Incidentally none of the income has been remitted into the UK and I am aware of the remittance basis claim that could be made, however, she does have UK taxable income from property letting and I would rather avoid the removal of personal allowances if at all possible.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,662 38
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 284 6
- Tax implication on superannuation 177 3
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,550 25
- GRNI - Normal Balance 66 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 208 3
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 219 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 811 13
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 97 2
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,296 24
- VAT - Check on clients business 907 37
- Second Limited Company 116 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 494 10
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 290 8
- Probate services 367 7
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 495 20
- trading losses allowable? 758 14
- Post AAT? 690 3
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 142 1
- Treatment of valuation fee for IHT. 194 2