Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- How much does the company pay 759 33
- Proof of identification 34 1
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 56 2
- Which tax returns can I submit? 67 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 285 5
- Using home as clients registered address 179 4
- Childcare vouchers 362 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 67 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 67 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 52 1
- two business from one premises 179 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 41 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 411 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 344 4
- Merry Christmas 119 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 81 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,092 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 422 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,432 9
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 507
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 275
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 244
- Cocaine anyone? 232
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 220
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177