Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 204 12
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 178 10
- Incorporation Relief 74 1
- What type of Trust? 135 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 122 5
- OBK 565 19
- Instant CPD offer 105 2
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 220 7
- Dividend in specie 102 2
- Investor exit 101 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 88 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 153 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 76 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,701 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,744 26
- Sage error message 148 2
- Partially exempt? 173 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 521 5
- Mileage claim 255 9
- Proof of Delivery 255 8
- Skandia using wrong address 464
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 263
- Employee rewards 255
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 190
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 152