Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Dental practice incorpration 98 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 976 55
- Audit rules 143 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 215 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 795 20
- Go Cardless 252 8
- business entertaining deductibility 109 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 105 2
- R & D 97 3
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 220 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 66 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 103 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 140 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 127 1
- New Business Registration 207 5
- Hosted email exchange 123 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 142 1
- G P life time allowance 112 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 366 11
- Bringing money to Uk 211 3
- Xtuple 500
- Qtac payroll for bureau 333
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 277
- Industrial & Provident Societies 274
- Mehjoo 219
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 216
- New strategic report 169
- Domain name sale and limited company 155
- South African Government Pension 151
- CIS schemes 146