Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 768 36
- New Boiler at Rental Property 204 3
- Ongoing trade? 211 4
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 30 1
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 88 2
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 715 19
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 126 3
- Tax Penalty overeaction 518 9
- Can I undertake a solicitors audit? 213 4
- Freelance software consultant 277 3
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 142 1
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 213 1
- opening balamces 343 11
- Limited company closed payroll then changed its name: does it need to apply for a new PAYE reference to reinstate payroll? 288 4
- What is included in earnings for Carers Allowance purposes? 104 2
- payroo 196 3
- Which P45 to Use 280 3
- Auto enrolment 1,594 25
- PCP Car purchase 158 2
- losses carried forward 300 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 774
- Copy Wanted 486
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 450
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 448
- Latest phishing scam 277
- Entrepreneurs' relief 259
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 257
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 242
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 223
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 221