Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 758 5
- See you all on the other side 770 6
- 12Pay 546 2
- dividends 758 2
- R&D 368 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,232 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 481 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 484 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 439 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 583 5
- Seeking a tax case 694 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 556 4
- Companies house strike off 670 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 497 2
- Moving to the cloud 789 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 230 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 953 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 235 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,126 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 542 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 581
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 433
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 381
- IRIS and FRS 102 369
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 362
- Marginal rates of tax 357
- Capitalising Finance Lease 348
- Class 2 NI 339
- USA help 329
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 314