Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Sole Trader business 135 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 140 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 134 1
- The Cotter Case 153 1
- Giving a seminar 671 36
- Tax position on lease extension 172 1
- Boffin of the Year 280 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 213 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 230 4
- Sage Depreciation 71 1
- Non sequitur 228 2
- Am i Liable? 863 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 166 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 153 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 69 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 469 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 99 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 108 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 922 15
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 379 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,291
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 637
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 420
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 330
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 255
- Alphabet shares 218
- Agent fees to sell business 210
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 205
- Office recharges 168
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 145