Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- What are options for non CA firm 2,819 60
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 135 3
- Legal title not in the company name 782 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 329 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 301 8
- Opening Balances 193 2
- 27,000 Really? 1,118 34
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 577 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 76 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 81 1
- This is getting boring 609 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 252 7
- pension paid by company? 109 3
- inheritance tax 415 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 345 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 226 4
- State pension 300 3
- Accountancy Career 138 1
- CIC Company 656 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,822 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 640
- Cancelled 395
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 335
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 308
- Probiz 303
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 279
- How not to compose an email 266
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 223