Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- VAT - How hard is it? 745 27
- VAT and customer entertaining 237 4
- Moneysoft - technical query 491 14
- The importance of Grammar 1,350 42
- tax saving on card points 258 7
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 231 6
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,276 11
- Xero Pain Points 555 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 150 2
- Best way to draw a salary? 707 12
- PI cover 246 4
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 954 15
- Profit split from an investment property 193 6
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,449 39
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 179 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 279 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 270 9
- Scissors 902 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 446 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 469 10
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 373
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 330
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 308
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 300
- Electric Car 250
- S222 Charge 219
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 215
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 179