Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 171 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 293 12
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 356 15
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 359 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 75 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 186 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 333 8
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 151 4
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 199 2
- Builder using cash labour 135 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 224 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 445 11
- Was I rude 839 20
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 220 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 299 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 217 6
- Non-compete agreement 195 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 212 1
- Any views 749 1
- IRIS Practice Management 166 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,487
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 301
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 211
- Bonus Bonds 180
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172