Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 64 2
- Help 117 9
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 192 9
- Where has Portia gone? 5,017 109
- Overlap profit 289 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 314 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,057 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 112 1
- Payments on account 171 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 64 1
- What do your junior staff do? 520 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 643 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 408 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 531 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 127 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,936 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 343 3
- On the high seas 111 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 145 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 856 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 852
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 444
- Sanzar 339
- How do you do it 336
- Digital marketing focus group 310
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 295
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 206
- Fit for purpose 202
- new investor structure 197
- VAT Registration 180