Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Helping clients with bookkeeping but not a bookkeeper 735 19
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,408 20
- Wear & Tear Allowances 307 7
- That old chestnut 354 7
- Supply to Irish State Body 215 2
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 327 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 286 3
- Non controlling shares - how to set up 248 9
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 239 3
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 207 4
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 119 1
- MAAT vs ACCA 1,958 35
- IR35 - relationship of WIP 662 6
- How to tell HMRC Limited Co. is active 214 3
- Tax relief for Director incurring business expenses on his credit card 209 2
- Repair or improvement? 432 7
- National Insurance. 160 1
- Trust tax return 172 1
- VAT on land sale 172 6
- Property Development 322 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 406
- CTA study material 360
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 268
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 251
- new capital structure ltd with investors 204
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 200
- Pre incorp expenses 199
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 180
- Slight twist on employment related securities 172
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 154