Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Cloud accounting package 105 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 984 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 774 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 481 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 241 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 141 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 222 6
- Next Move 313 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 391 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 170 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 218 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 333 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 698 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 266 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 153 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,224 34
- Casual Driver 243 4
- Self Assessment Software 631 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 342 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,257 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 393
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 371
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 369
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 230
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217