Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 272 9
- Residential Management Companies 43 2
- Value pricing 2,824 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 370 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 355 11
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 816 34
- Payroll software for Mac 105 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 81 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 207 5
- CIS and Close Company 190 6
- LLP members share of profits 621 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 418 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 129 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 84 1
- Registered Office 80 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 101 1
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 286 7
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 534 17
- 64-8 on paper or online? 102 2
- Management fees agreement 158 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 932
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 658
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 385
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 252
- Paye procedures for CVA 242
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 238
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 185
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 181
- Pension Fixed Protection 179