Average coupon rate used to calcuate carrying amount of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio
I have come across a problem relating to IAS 32/39 (IFRS 7) on the carrying amount computation of a 5-yrs-bonds portfolio.
This is a debt instrument classified under financial liabilities categories of Fair Value through Profit or Loss.
In order to determine the recoverable amount i.e. the Present Value. I discount the estimated cash flows [(Principal + accrued interests) x AER x (months to maturity/12] at the bonds' original coupon rate. ( we have a portfolio of bonds with different coupon rates and months to maturity but they are all 5-yrs-bonds)
Here comes to the question: Can I use an industry average annual coupon rate of a 5-yrs-bond for the whole portfolio of my 5-yrs-bonds (over 20 some) ? because if each individual coupon rate is used, I would lose track of my "months to maturity data" and make the spreadsheet unbelievably complex, and It would be even harder to spot any errors.
My worry is that the auditor may pick this up and say that it is a best practice to use each rates. Even the standards didn't specify this explicitly.
I am asking here that are there any supporting claims ( from the standards or those reputable sources) to allow my way of calculation ? i also believe, using average coupon rate does not constitute to materiality issues here. Correct ? Or Have i got it wrong completely ?
Many thanks for your prompt responses !
- Accountants not providing all required information 317 5
- Annual Report - How to? 394 15
- VAT NETP and Tax Agents/Representatives joimnt and several liability 93 2
- Outsourcing Payroll 151 2
- Little Green Man needs help HGV driver LTD company 158 1
- sage 168 4
- R&D tax credits 56 1
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 180 6
- Improvements to leasehold property and Capital Allowances 50 1
- Double entry 220 5
- FBI2 211 4
- Companies House 188 3
- Interprise software 101 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 522 19
- Charity accounting 270 6
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 158 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,083 13
- Clients 939 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 307 12
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 315 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 546
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 304
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 299
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 267
- Overdrawn director account 222
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 205