A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 560 12
- What do your junior staff do? 421 4
- Keeping disastrous accounts 307 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 483 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 96 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,874 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 250 3
- Payments on account 88 1
- On the high seas 83 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 127 2
- RTI Payroll ID 973 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 848 34
- Payroll question 122 2
- Where has Portia gone? 4,836 106
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 256 5
- Warning - "Central Register of Companies" con 207 3
- Overlap profit 240 4
- Goodwill On Incorporation 152 1
- CT600 for first year UK company trading abroad 185 13
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 342 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 839
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 439
- Sanzar 336
- How do you do it 330
- Digital marketing focus group 309
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 285
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 202
- Fit for purpose 195
- new investor structure 194
- VAT Registration 175