A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,418 25
- Expenses Apps 255 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,679 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 538 10
- Errors in prior year accounts 864 23
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,991 39
- VAT & capitalising 147 3
- Final year's accounts 173 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 343 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 316 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 320 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 278 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 158 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,993 36
- Invoice Help 263 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 200 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 269 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 253 3
- Sorry ignore me 928 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 608 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 626
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 298
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 246
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 192
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 174
- What's the market like for temps? 168