A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- Do I need to pay my accountant 193 4
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 224 5
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 338 18
- Limited company buying a car 190 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 471 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 572 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 224 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 297 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 129 2
- ACCA practice certificates 507 5
- Limited company buying director's car 307 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 91 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 129 1
- WC's and capital allowances 180 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 317 13
- Dress code 1,553 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 485 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 266 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 389 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 477 23
- CTA study material 771
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 400
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 282
- Expat pension contributions? 260
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 260
- Trust for Employee 239
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 187
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149