A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- inflation rate year on year 170 4
- Accounts Question 120 5
- Deleted question? 743 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,184 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,951 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 712 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,403 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,931 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 660 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 451 4
- VAT Return Errors 190 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 137 5
- Yorkshire Day 612 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 195 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 188 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 383 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 152 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 298 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 239 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 155 1
- Cancelled 471
- Cancelled 388
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 378
- Probiz 358
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 263
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 237
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 232
- More spam 184
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 153