A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- What can my client claim r & d on? 324 6
- R&D tax claim 105 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 582 13
- Vat threshold issues 121 2
- Growing pains 361 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 237 14
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 78 1
- Consequential loss claim 123 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 190 5
- ATT Annual Return Problems 120 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 107 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 341 5
- private to company car? 204 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 957 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 590 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 155 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 242 1
- Partner with an IVA 176 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 604 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 426 11
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 418
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 287
- Pre incorp expenses 279
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 246
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 210
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 187
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 178