A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- Threshold for RTI submission 158 3
- Easy way to not pay tax 257 7
- Tax Credit Overpayment 26 1
- FATCA registration as an Agent 19 1
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 189 6
- IRIS Practice Management 189 3
- Pre- trading Expenses 155 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 373 16
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 66 1
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 182 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 320 12
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 404 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 131 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 359 8
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 205 2
- Builder using cash labour 161 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 231 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 462 11
- Was I rude 870 20
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 225 8
- Skandia using wrong address 1,489
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 828
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 398
- NOVA 303
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 214
- Bonus Bonds 181
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 173