A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 120 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 439 9
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 431 10
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 237 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 237 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 190 1
- Share transfer question 311 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 541 10
- The stupidity continues 123 2
- New Employers Helpline 142 3
- Overlap relief 729 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,314 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 202 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 195 4
- VAT Query 199 2
- Sacked my first client 679 14
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 262 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,275 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 625 11
- Trades and deadlines 167 3
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 422
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 219
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 190
- Small Part Disposal of Property 172