A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- Sole trader - bank statements 36 4
- RTI 179 6
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 250 11
- which software to use? 272 5
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 203 3
- audit for 50% associate? 40 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 709 18
- overdrawn directors loan account 103 3
- Am i Liable? 397 13
- PAYE coding notices 163 2
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 92 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 829 13
- Property scam victim 513 13
- Christmas party 199 2
- VAT on garage rent 356 15
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 375 4
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 195 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 311 7
- directors overdrawn loan account 123 2
- Giving a seminar 577 31
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,232
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 613
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 411
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 318
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 212
- Alphabet shares 199
- Agent fees to sell business 194
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 190
- Office recharges 155
- Tax position on lease extension 144