A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- Design your ideal tax department 783 18
- Financial statements accounting policies 102 2
- Scams are not always obvious 1,501 30
- Deemed Employment Payment 371 2
- Relationship between amortisation and distributable profits 127 8
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 132 5
- Little PPR calc question 166 4
- Restructuring company and Form 42 152 7
- Overpayment notice 94 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 222 9
- Cells from many sheets 170 3
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 194 5
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 177 8
- Investment company 187 6
- More RTI stuff 158 4
- Personal allowance 574 12
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 96 1
- Childcare vouchers 211 3
- Overseas company and VAT 90 2
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 105 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,053
- Moving away from CCH software 917
- Recruitment agencies 542
- QROP pension input amounts 419
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 367
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 320
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 304
- fraud 239
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 229
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 198