A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 196 6
- Land Registry 159 1
- Transferring rental property to limited company 183 9
- Advertising Tips? 157 6
- IR35 295 3
- Not renewing AAT 1,416 14
- Cloud-based email services? 243 6
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 404 12
- Dormant co. now trading 303 9
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,658 21
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 2,155 25
- Company Structure 113 4
- Online or Paper 64-8? 190 4
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 393 4
- Lease premium payment of £20,000 147 3
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 126 2
- VAT on sale of goods outside of EU - Flat Rate 139 5
- Late PAYE Registration 202 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,475 27
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 161 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 722
- 2015 tax year end 462
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 426
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 370
- Costly Accounting Software contract 347
- Directors' advances and credits 279
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 258
- DTA tie-breaker issue 246
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 232
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 206