A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- CIS paid on behalf of a limited company 13 1
- Kind of shares to take in an LTD 21 1
- Distribution on cessation of trade 206 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 5,996 211
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 64 1
- Changing font size in VT Transaction+ 209 6
- Trademark Fun 185 5
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,489 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 185 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 180 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 663 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 212 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 180 1
- Recycle old study books 364 9
- Share for share exchange 155 3
- Wind turbines 151 1
- Looking for a qualified accountant 523 2
- Locum Doctor claiming costs for Home Office 210 2
- FL Memo - Any Good 422 7
- VAT claim 361 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,059
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 342
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 290
- National Insurance 242
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 224
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 223
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 209
- Payments on account coded out?? 203
- Non Resident 161
- Franchise income and costs 146