A & B shares
Apologies if these seem daft questions, but I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth last time I had anything to do with different classes of shares.
I have a couple of Ltd. Co. clients with husband & wife as sole directors and equal shareholders but where one of them now has substantial other income. When dividends are paid this either gives rise to higher rate tax on one director, or the dividends have to be limited to the higher rate threshold, resulting of course in wasted basic rate allowance for the other director.
It seems to be fairly evident that one director cannot waive his or her dividend where they are husband and wife, so I was considering the option of having A and B shares where different rates of dividend can be paid on each; this would also reflect the effort put in by each director. There’s been quite a bit on the forum about this and I can see that the process is not entirely guaranteed to be watertight although it does seem to be thus far, but questions are:
- Can husband simply give all his ordinary shares to his wife, and these become A shares ? Presumably there would be no CGT implications between spouses.
- Are there then any problems with issuing B shares to the husband ? If, say, 100 new B shares were issued can they simply be at £1 each off the directors’ loan a/c as the original shares were, or does the actual value need to be taken into account somehow, as several years down the line the original shares are now worth considerably more than par. I imagine the directors would wish to remain basically equal shareholders in the businesses.
- As to issuing the B shares, is it simply a matter of sending in the relevant form to Co. House and, if necessary, amending the Memo & Articles ?
- Fees 386 5
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 477 17
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 254 3
- www.pool.adzio 89 2
- Time to ditch Sage? 353 6
- Losses carry forward to self employed 133 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,854 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 272 3
- HMRC Post 551 7
- Transactions with directors 467 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 304 9
- Non VAT invoices 235 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 230 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,417 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 271 5
- Form 17 Download 183 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 584 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 398 4
- HMRC Information notice 1,007 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 300 3
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 416
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 369
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 246
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 213
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 189
- AIA 186
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 181