Back Dating VAT Registration
I took on a new client a week before the SA deadline. I got everything in order and filed on time (partnership return and 2 x SA's for both partners). However on completion of the accounts it appears the VAT threshold was exceeded in April 2011 and the turnover is well in excess of the registration threshold thereafter.
I've checked the previous two years, and although there was the odd month which exceeded the threshold, this was the first time it was exceeded on a regular basis.
I have dealt with these before and are normally pretty simple. I've spoken with the customers of the partnership, they are all VAT registered and do not have a problem paying the VAT that should have been charged. I've prepared the registration forms for HMRC and we appear ready to go.
The part where any other experience would help....
The previous accountant was clearly incompetant. I would never normally make an assumption based on one client but this one really has no excuses.There are many issues relwith penalties and incorrect advice we are dealing with. The accountant (on the phone, not in writing) said that as the client was a service provider they were exempt from VAT registration - this is not the case. The client eventually got so concerned he attempted his own VAT registration which HMRC rejected (clear errors on the form) then they eventually approached us.
Will HMRC accept that their advice was fundementally incorrect and they did attempt VAT registration as a reason to avoid penalties? The registration is something we are doing, without HMRC demanding it (although they will be aware through the Partnership and CIS returns).
The ones I've dealt with before have had penalties, but they had no excuse for failing to register. In this case, I can understand some interest but the client didn't have any idea, and has taken actions to try to resolve the situation.
Any help or experience will be much appreciated, thanks!
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 117 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 327 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 211 3
- FreeAgent question 102 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 127 2
- CIS monthly returns 181 2
- Goodie bag 1,552 52
- Husband Wife let property 350 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 501 12
- Output tax for retailer 312 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 281 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 138 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 136 1
- CT600 Advice 136 1
- Fair Value Accounting 79 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 152 4
- can I approach clients ? 407 8
- Companies House Penalties 145 2
- Apostille documents 115 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 545 13
- Possible Partnership? 643
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 517
- New Fangled Penalties 446
- Fuming! 381
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 317
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 256
- Outsource Data Entry 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 235
- Moving away from CCH software 228
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 176