Back Dating VAT Registration
I took on a new client a week before the SA deadline. I got everything in order and filed on time (partnership return and 2 x SA's for both partners). However on completion of the accounts it appears the VAT threshold was exceeded in April 2011 and the turnover is well in excess of the registration threshold thereafter.
I've checked the previous two years, and although there was the odd month which exceeded the threshold, this was the first time it was exceeded on a regular basis.
I have dealt with these before and are normally pretty simple. I've spoken with the customers of the partnership, they are all VAT registered and do not have a problem paying the VAT that should have been charged. I've prepared the registration forms for HMRC and we appear ready to go.
The part where any other experience would help....
The previous accountant was clearly incompetant. I would never normally make an assumption based on one client but this one really has no excuses.There are many issues relwith penalties and incorrect advice we are dealing with. The accountant (on the phone, not in writing) said that as the client was a service provider they were exempt from VAT registration - this is not the case. The client eventually got so concerned he attempted his own VAT registration which HMRC rejected (clear errors on the form) then they eventually approached us.
Will HMRC accept that their advice was fundementally incorrect and they did attempt VAT registration as a reason to avoid penalties? The registration is something we are doing, without HMRC demanding it (although they will be aware through the Partnership and CIS returns).
The ones I've dealt with before have had penalties, but they had no excuse for failing to register. In this case, I can understand some interest but the client didn't have any idea, and has taken actions to try to resolve the situation.
Any help or experience will be much appreciated, thanks!
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 220 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 24 1
- Have i messed up? 733 11
- VAT on garage rent 99 8
- Are HMRC getting it right? 416 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 47 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 72 2
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 238 8
- Tasks for new trainees 130 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 60 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 50 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 552 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 98 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,637 46
- Property scam victim 297 4
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 249 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,804 19
- Is there is a tax neutral way of splitting a company? 167 6
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 139 2
- Partnership returns software 88 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,085
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 572
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 382
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 286
- Charge out rates in London? 240
- Interest on Loan to a Company 187
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 173
- Agent fees to sell business 162
- Alphabet shares 159
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 153