Back Dating VAT Registration
I took on a new client a week before the SA deadline. I got everything in order and filed on time (partnership return and 2 x SA's for both partners). However on completion of the accounts it appears the VAT threshold was exceeded in April 2011 and the turnover is well in excess of the registration threshold thereafter.
I've checked the previous two years, and although there was the odd month which exceeded the threshold, this was the first time it was exceeded on a regular basis.
I have dealt with these before and are normally pretty simple. I've spoken with the customers of the partnership, they are all VAT registered and do not have a problem paying the VAT that should have been charged. I've prepared the registration forms for HMRC and we appear ready to go.
The part where any other experience would help....
The previous accountant was clearly incompetant. I would never normally make an assumption based on one client but this one really has no excuses.There are many issues relwith penalties and incorrect advice we are dealing with. The accountant (on the phone, not in writing) said that as the client was a service provider they were exempt from VAT registration - this is not the case. The client eventually got so concerned he attempted his own VAT registration which HMRC rejected (clear errors on the form) then they eventually approached us.
Will HMRC accept that their advice was fundementally incorrect and they did attempt VAT registration as a reason to avoid penalties? The registration is something we are doing, without HMRC demanding it (although they will be aware through the Partnership and CIS returns).
The ones I've dealt with before have had penalties, but they had no excuse for failing to register. In this case, I can understand some interest but the client didn't have any idea, and has taken actions to try to resolve the situation.
Any help or experience will be much appreciated, thanks!
- Can't read my handwriting 686 17
- Fees for Property Tax Return 563 19
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 425 14
- Direct Debit - no receipts 399 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 181 5
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 143 2
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 221 5
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 452 10
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 259 16
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 337 13
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 61 1
- Corp Tax Refund 210 3
- corp tax software 1,067 14
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 437 6
- PRR 479 15
- Working from home - time apportionment 318 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 221 2
- cross border vat 122 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,974 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 813 17
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,375
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 521
- National Insurance 421
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 233
- Employer's Helpline 189
- CIS paid under reg 9 189
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 152