Back Dating VAT Registration
I took on a new client a week before the SA deadline. I got everything in order and filed on time (partnership return and 2 x SA's for both partners). However on completion of the accounts it appears the VAT threshold was exceeded in April 2011 and the turnover is well in excess of the registration threshold thereafter.
I've checked the previous two years, and although there was the odd month which exceeded the threshold, this was the first time it was exceeded on a regular basis.
I have dealt with these before and are normally pretty simple. I've spoken with the customers of the partnership, they are all VAT registered and do not have a problem paying the VAT that should have been charged. I've prepared the registration forms for HMRC and we appear ready to go.
The part where any other experience would help....
The previous accountant was clearly incompetant. I would never normally make an assumption based on one client but this one really has no excuses.There are many issues relwith penalties and incorrect advice we are dealing with. The accountant (on the phone, not in writing) said that as the client was a service provider they were exempt from VAT registration - this is not the case. The client eventually got so concerned he attempted his own VAT registration which HMRC rejected (clear errors on the form) then they eventually approached us.
Will HMRC accept that their advice was fundementally incorrect and they did attempt VAT registration as a reason to avoid penalties? The registration is something we are doing, without HMRC demanding it (although they will be aware through the Partnership and CIS returns).
The ones I've dealt with before have had penalties, but they had no excuse for failing to register. In this case, I can understand some interest but the client didn't have any idea, and has taken actions to try to resolve the situation.
Any help or experience will be much appreciated, thanks!
- Any reasons for a dissolved company to comply with HMRC requesting Corporation Tax and Tax Returns 428 18
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,241 17
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 189 4
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,012 25
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 265 8
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 210 6
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 199 3
- Should training costs being reclaimed be deducted from gross or net salary 247 4
- Claiming accommodation as employment expense? 98 1
- Sage Line 50 86 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,930 58
- mileage claim via self assessment - how far back? 138 2
- HMRC Post 338 5
- Freelance/Employee 574 14
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 533 11
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 335 8
- Employment Allowance 378 3
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,417 13
- Auto-enrolment staging dates, letters etc 213 4
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 995 21
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 400
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 370
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 344
- Electric Car 282
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 181
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 177
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 166
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 163
- AIA 153