Back Dating VAT Registration
I took on a new client a week before the SA deadline. I got everything in order and filed on time (partnership return and 2 x SA's for both partners). However on completion of the accounts it appears the VAT threshold was exceeded in April 2011 and the turnover is well in excess of the registration threshold thereafter.
I've checked the previous two years, and although there was the odd month which exceeded the threshold, this was the first time it was exceeded on a regular basis.
I have dealt with these before and are normally pretty simple. I've spoken with the customers of the partnership, they are all VAT registered and do not have a problem paying the VAT that should have been charged. I've prepared the registration forms for HMRC and we appear ready to go.
The part where any other experience would help....
The previous accountant was clearly incompetant. I would never normally make an assumption based on one client but this one really has no excuses.There are many issues relwith penalties and incorrect advice we are dealing with. The accountant (on the phone, not in writing) said that as the client was a service provider they were exempt from VAT registration - this is not the case. The client eventually got so concerned he attempted his own VAT registration which HMRC rejected (clear errors on the form) then they eventually approached us.
Will HMRC accept that their advice was fundementally incorrect and they did attempt VAT registration as a reason to avoid penalties? The registration is something we are doing, without HMRC demanding it (although they will be aware through the Partnership and CIS returns).
The ones I've dealt with before have had penalties, but they had no excuse for failing to register. In this case, I can understand some interest but the client didn't have any idea, and has taken actions to try to resolve the situation.
Any help or experience will be much appreciated, thanks!
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,180 47
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 42 1
- Telephone call from "Xero" 428 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 121 3
- dividend 168 10
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 128 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 255 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 179 3
- Irish Taxation 144 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 315 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 516 6
- Drector renting room to company 101 1
- Off site storage 159 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 601 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 253 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 350 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 241 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 334 4
- Self assesment losses 324 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 177 3
- Xtuple 567
- Qtac payroll for bureau 388
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 343
- Domain name sale and limited company 233
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 212
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 210
- Investment 207
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 183
- Tax on damages received 182
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152