Back Dating VAT Registration
I took on a new client a week before the SA deadline. I got everything in order and filed on time (partnership return and 2 x SA's for both partners). However on completion of the accounts it appears the VAT threshold was exceeded in April 2011 and the turnover is well in excess of the registration threshold thereafter.
I've checked the previous two years, and although there was the odd month which exceeded the threshold, this was the first time it was exceeded on a regular basis.
I have dealt with these before and are normally pretty simple. I've spoken with the customers of the partnership, they are all VAT registered and do not have a problem paying the VAT that should have been charged. I've prepared the registration forms for HMRC and we appear ready to go.
The part where any other experience would help....
The previous accountant was clearly incompetant. I would never normally make an assumption based on one client but this one really has no excuses.There are many issues relwith penalties and incorrect advice we are dealing with. The accountant (on the phone, not in writing) said that as the client was a service provider they were exempt from VAT registration - this is not the case. The client eventually got so concerned he attempted his own VAT registration which HMRC rejected (clear errors on the form) then they eventually approached us.
Will HMRC accept that their advice was fundementally incorrect and they did attempt VAT registration as a reason to avoid penalties? The registration is something we are doing, without HMRC demanding it (although they will be aware through the Partnership and CIS returns).
The ones I've dealt with before have had penalties, but they had no excuse for failing to register. In this case, I can understand some interest but the client didn't have any idea, and has taken actions to try to resolve the situation.
Any help or experience will be much appreciated, thanks!
- Merger of Two companies 193 10
- Form 17 Joint tenancy v tenants in common 109 3
- Merging 303 4
- Merger of Two companies 389 16
- Why should I retain membership? 3,282 54
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 875 21
- CIC Dividend Cap 276 9
- Setting up direct debit on Clients bank accounts to collect monthly payments 203 8
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 640 20
- NEGLIGIBLE VALUE CLAIMS 182 4
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 1,795 24
- New business - journal entries 549 24
- IFA incorporation problems 292 4
- Coding Notice 320 7
- Auto renewed contract, is this legal/enforceable?? 299 2
- PPR/CGT/Part-Disposal/Land 176 5
- nic class 1 on expenses mechanics 134 3
- IR35 Low, medium or high risk 203 1
- Wear and tear allowance 1,527 13
- Residency test 254 5
- Auto enrolment excuses 958
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 739
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 426
- Excuses, excuses!!! 307
- Digita Hosted Software 236
- Social investment tax relief 235
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 229
- Call Centre Data Costs 219
- Travel costs and contractors 200
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 199