Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- What are options for non CA firm 2,031 38
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 343 7
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,708 26
- Errors in prior year accounts 901 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 577 11
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 633 6
- Unallocated client money 443 10
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 2,022 41
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,470 26
- Expenses Apps 262 5
- VAT & capitalising 167 3
- Final year's accounts 190 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 388 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 334 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 300 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 171 2
- Invoice Help 269 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 214 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 281 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 263 3
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 627
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 299
- Cancelled 287
- Cancelled 246
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 194
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 177
- What's the market like for temps? 169