Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 870 15
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 74 1
- Question regarding gym training 272 4
- CIS Deductions 205 1
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 89 2
- is this fraud? 595 11
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,283 27
- Not a good start no broadband 358 7
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 396 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 619 10
- Property initial recognition 138 2
- P11D Dispensation 216 3
- CPD 109 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 421 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 148 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 187 4
- Directors Subsistence 393 3
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 211 2
- How long are 64-8s taking these days? 434 9
- R&D tax credit claim 171 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 568
- Cancelled 339
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 323
- Cancelled 279
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 247
- Probiz 226
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 170
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- Car leasing scheme 161
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 146