Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 252 1
- Very large share capital by mistake 206 1
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 361 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 411 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,977 45
- Love is in the air 319 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,696 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 241 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 397 8
- Client Paperwork Retention? 500 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 244 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 521 1
- Paying Son 656 18
- HMRC accounting 385 3
- Employers NI allowance 462 6
- Dividend taxation 388 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 293 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 189 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 272 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 456 4
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 277
- CGT for NOn UK residents 276
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 268
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 247
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 209
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 188