Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- Sales Commission to Employees / External Companies 27 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 256 2
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 30 1
- How do you value an internet based business 817 11
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 233 6
- Capital repayments 39 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 82 1
- business entertaining deductibility 253 2
- Flat Rate VAT 160 1
- SA302 396 8
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 513 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 412 8
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 462 5
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 474 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 212 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,541 41
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 157 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 268 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,257 19
- Go Cardless 415 10
- Xtuple 528
- Qtac payroll for bureau 359
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 303
- Industrial & Provident Societies 296
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 242
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 223
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 223
- Domain name sale and limited company 186
- CIS schemes 183
- Investment 162