Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,041 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 944 11
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 169 10
- Buying a horse?? 190 8
- What's in a name ? 1,100 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 210 2
- Audit 309 8
- Awkward IP 1,383 14
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 782 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 481 7
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 627 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 770 22
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,113 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 139 1
- carry back of gift aid 194 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 309 8
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 257 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 571 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 254 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 432 6
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 432
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 272
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 270
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 209
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154