Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,028 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 56 1
- Pricing 309 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 232 5
- Partially exempt? 217 7
- Mexican student in UK 89 1
- Dividend in specie 178 3
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 139 7
- Lorry Drivers 100 1
- VAT 111 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 835 18
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 612 7
- Rental Income Tax Planning 200 3
- Vat 87 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,820 184
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 122 2
- Incorporation Relief 124 2
- First VAT Visit for client 152 2
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 254 11
- capital gains on PPR 1,443 21
- Skandia using wrong address 472
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 274
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 267
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 213
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 210
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 198
- Etax Australian 168
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 155