Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 100 2
- Coding Notice 135 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 417 7
- Vat 267 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,266 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 335 7
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 118 2
- Why should I retain membership? 2,692 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 178 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 141 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,480 18
- CT/CIS offset 133 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 185 4
- Trade name 186 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 135 1
- New business - journal entries 315 20
- B2B vat in the EU 121 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 316 18
- VAT on deposits 209 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 140 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 806
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 710
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 390
- Social investment tax relief 208
- Digita Hosted Software 202
- Call Centre Data Costs 193
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 162
- Travel costs and contractors 152
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 147
- Certificates of tax deposit 139