Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- Cash injection by shareholder 227 5
- capital gains on PPR 100 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,603 431
- 40% rule for travel expenses 306 8
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,223 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 313 6
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 257 8
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 404 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,385 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 341 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 284 8
- PRR 320 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 216 3
- corp tax software 380 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 455 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 483 7
- Which tax box 208 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 177 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 294 3
- References for clients 258 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,303
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 468
- National Insurance 363
- Non Resident 287
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 175
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 154
- CIS paid under reg 9 146