Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 154 1
- Corrupt excel .XLSX file 162 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 448 4
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 64 1
- VAT refund 303 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,275 37
- flat rate scheme 105 2
- Turnover on a tax return 537 12
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 97 2
- incorrect old p60 559 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 108 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 180 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 140 1
- Special dividends & CGT 199 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 184 1
- Networking 356 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 276 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 302 4
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 334 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 288 2