Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- PAYE versus Dividends 149 2
- Employee or partner 17 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 183 5
- The Cotter Case 183 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 115 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 141 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 62 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 939 16
- Sole Trader business 153 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 152 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 145 1
- Giving a seminar 685 36
- Tax position on lease extension 176 1
- Boffin of the Year 302 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 221 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 80 1
- Non sequitur 253 2
- Am i Liable? 882 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 172 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,303
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 642
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 426
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 334
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 221
- Agent fees to sell business 215
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 208
- Office recharges 170
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 154