Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 507 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 279 4
- Late registration for MOSS 202 4
- Professional Clearance 1,012 24
- Self employed care worker 413 9
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 241 5
- Client right to working papers 172 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 327 7
- Illegal share transfer 424 5
- Audacity 854 16
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 149 2
- Company Strike off 1,800 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,078 34
- How to deal with an employee's at work car parking cost, paid for by the company 372 3
- Estate admin practicalities 209 1
- Cloud Accounting Software for Practitioners 1,478 23
- Duplicate employments caused by works numbers on Sage 312 5
- Cheapest PI insurance for accountant available? 1,774 31
- Joint owners of rental properties 345 6
- Capital stated on incorporation too low by several orders of magnitude. 330 2
- NHS finance professionals 526
- VAL231 406
- Mother and son property ownership 365
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 353
- Foreign Pension Contribution 328
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 302
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 279
- vat gross profit percentage margins 267
- Incorporated LLP partners, CIS and IR35 262
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 252