Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- Pool vehicle with age restriction 225 6
- How to start accounting company? 282 8
- Renewals basis for Residential Letting Property 68 1
- Directors and PAYE 113 13
- CIS reclaim for company without a payroll 140 3
- dividends from a UK company when working overseas 125 3
- How does one compete? 768 10
- Income £10k salary and £20k net dividends 587 19
- Income for self employed associate dentist? 161 2
- HMRC's "HVA" list .... High Volume Agents 825 12
- Employee tears suit... 457 9
- VAT within EC 213 6
- About your hairdresser clients 652 23
- Deadline for appeal against late filing 241 4
- Keytime 443 5
- Nine-Page Engagement Letters 809 14
- VAT on entertaining - Gross amount on VAT return 133 1
- Great Service 1,317 17
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 2,693 29
- Redundancy for husband and wife ltd co 249 2
- Sanzar 535
- Digital marketing focus group 418
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 391
- Sainsbury's mangement 388
- Continuity Agreement 358
- Avanti Accounts 358
- Buyback 312
- Aggresive sales from Iris 264
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 259
- Charity volunteers and mileage 221