Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 579 5
- See you all on the other side 668 6
- 12Pay 429 2
- dividends 568 2
- R&D 302 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,157 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 430 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 387 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 356 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 534 5
- Seeking a tax case 627 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 488 4
- Companies house strike off 510 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 407 2
- Moving to the cloud 729 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 209 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 883 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 201 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,085 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 481 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 555
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 417
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 366
- IRIS and FRS 102 352
- Capitalising Finance Lease 318
- USA help 313
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 292
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 285
- Marginal rates of tax 263
- Capital gains on rental property 259