Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- VAT rules on Compensation invoice to EU company 85 2
- error on companies house accounts 321 9
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 189 5
- Home to Office 82 3
- Clients 196 4
- Commission on holiday accrual 131 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 176 4
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,425 111
- VAT reclaim on costs incurred for VAT exempt services 98 1
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 154 1
- IR35 calc - which months' E'ees NICs and PAYE to include? 135 3
- Excel 2010 pivot table rows 52 1
- VAT rules on recharge sales invoice 100 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 301 6
- Extension of lease in flat management company 161 2
- Client's company struck off 688 18
- 2010-11 tax return is incorrect 117 1
- Overtime etc for PT employees 211 3
- Newly Started Practice 369 7
- ACCA Accountants Report 165 1
- QROP pension input amounts 479
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 451
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 423
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 272
- EPS and CIS deductions 267
- Construction CIS LLP Company 249
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 218
- SAGE winforecast 185
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 173