Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 45 1
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 1,066 29
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 434 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 221 6
- VAT silly question 2,266 51
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 169 6
- Classic cars investment 155 4
- Ceasing to trade when legal action being taken.. 251 3
- Cater Allen Commission 134 3
- How do I complain about an FCCA accountant 250 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 728 20
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 128 1
- VAT on 'educational' services - UK and overseas 79 1
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 127 1
- Sage 2010 data corruption 135 5
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 504 13
- Sage at it again? 372 5
- BrightPay 514 13
- Is this a scam? 1,609 27
- S455 463 21
- Benchmarking 473
- Possible Partnership? 419
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 403
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 391
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 334
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 198
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 182
- Income tax on foreign dividends 175
- Clubs and Taxable Income 173
- Late reply from HMRC 171