Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- The importance of Grammar 126 4
- Can I claim VAT back on accounting fees? 113 5
- Is this dodgy? 228 6
- Directors loan balance write off in period 26 1
- New Client - incorrect accounts filed 227 6
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 294 13
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 222 5
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 305 6
- Its going to be fun isnt it? 948 13
- Car or Van - BIK not VAT 453 14
- Sole Trader 165 3
- 2 businesses again. 1 with vat, one without 2,669 51
- Non Resident Landlord Tax 155 3
- Class 4 Losses 206 4
- Tax Codes and VAT 77 1
- Entrepreneur Relief - inter company shares 84 1
- Issue shares to shareholders 145 6
- How long should one give Aweb … 887 14
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 337 3
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,338 51
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 348
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 284
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 262
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 260
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 249
- Electric Car 206
- S222 Charge 194
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 180
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 179
- Freelance Accounting link 169