Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 64 1
- CIS and Xero 256 1
- Mortgage Reference 846 12
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 193 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 124 2
- property capital gains 395 4
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 82 1
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 121 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 283 8
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 865 9
- Tips on meals 558 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,331 15
- S.455 Tax again 451 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 190 3
- Closing down loss-making company 795 15
- Stumped - IHT 611 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 160 1
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 499 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 417 14
- co-operatives & Societies 132 1
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 980
- Members in Public Practice 594
- Oplex Careers CPD 363
- Payroll manager and the cloud 290
- Is the APN valid 240
- Treatment of EIS relate back? 236
- Institute of Customer Services 235
- Kashflow payroll 227
- Class 4 NI due on 2 self employments 223
- Continuity of Practice 206