Backdated Child Benefit when income drops?
If a client elects to stop receiving Child Benefit but then his income drops can he get it backdated?
I've found a wealth of conflicting advice online and elsewhere!
The Child Benefit Helpline told me that there is no legal entitlement for it to be backdated.
I found articles online stating that it could be backdated to when it stopped, it could not be backdated, and it could be backdated three months.
Eventually, I believe the legislation is that: “If you or your partner's income drops to below £60,000 for a full tax year, you can apply to restart your Child Benefit payments for up to two years after the end of that tax year and the election will be revoked.”
Now I'm still a little confused. Does that mean that the the election is revoked and you just get it backdated two years from the end of the tax year in which the income dropped? Or will you get it completely backdated?
If your income is say £55,000 will you get the full amount backdated, then have to do a revised SA return, pay some back (with interest + surcharges) or will they deduct a clawback before paying it?
Are there any experts out there who have a definative answer to this?
- IT advisory questions? 27 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief 692 34
- More AE! 605 13
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 451 6
- Scanners 47 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,049 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 94 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 248 4
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 99 3
- Invoice dispute 562 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 242 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 408 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 84 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 114 1
- IHT dilemma 1,319 20
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,054 18
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 215 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 169 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 210 4
- Micro Entity Accounts 326 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,135
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 789
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 474
- Digita Hosted Software 313
- Credit where credit's due....... 252
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 218
- Director phone costs 209
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 180
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 156
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 144