Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Recommendations for online payroll software 180 1
- . 166 1
- Accountant Specialization. 248 2
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 226 4
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 157 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 158 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 435 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 83 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 592 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 675 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 117 2
- Freelance/Employee 633 15
- Agent Authorisation Issue 179 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 324 6
- Is it just me ... 275 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 281 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 113 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 345 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 222 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,531 18
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 745
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 353
- Electric Car 288
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 185
- IP trans to holding company 183
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 171
- AIA 166
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 163