Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 556 18
- Staff training 1,507 13
- are we that stupid 486 11
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 234 3
- Goodwill on incorporation 171 2
- Company Strike off 246 10
- Is there a UK CGT base cost on the sale of these shares? 118 1
- Company Limited by Guarantee 243 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 152 2
- wife as partner 1,048 7
- Self Assessment penalties again 164 2
- VAT B2B EU service - curious 295 6
- 'Careless' Self Assessment Error 385 8
- HMRC Security Deposit 1,387 19
- living will or LPA? 100 1
- Practice software 1,361 19
- Job costing 217 1
- is anybody using iris and sql server standard 2014? 251 5
- Shares held in trust 191 4
- Servicing AE fees 363 7
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 327
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 323
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 281
- French ConnectionUK 258
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 237
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 211
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 209
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 148
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 146
- Indian Provident Fund 139