Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 132 2
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 37 1
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 132 1
- Instant CPD offer 288 4
- Cash basis 520 13
- Income from rent charged to business 137 2
- payroll software 373 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 447 5
- Statutory sick pay 311 4
- Dividend in specie 371 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 223 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 179 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 148 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 277 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 296 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 174 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 392 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,859 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 339 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 262 2
- Skandia using wrong address 580
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 310
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 310
- Employee rewards 291
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 260
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 231
- Etax Australian 190
- LLP in Construction Industry 157
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 134
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 134