Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Wrong career 65 4
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 167 5
- Newsletter 230 5
- RTI Filing 1,750 22
- Would this save hours of your time? 70 1
- Fee's for P11D's 291 5
- Agent with HMRC 236 10
- Quarterly PAYE 213 7
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 42 1
- reporting salary? 167 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 316 16
- CGT on Inherited Property 271 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 95 3
- Value pricing 580 19
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 387 1
- Childcare Vouchers 171 3
- Audit Report Query 185 5
- Coming in from the cold 221 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,311 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 97 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 768
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 523
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 390
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 275
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 216
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 216
- Director Loan account operation 204
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 203
- Free Tax Legislation? 166
- vat return 166