Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Company formation and bank account 207 7
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 632 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,521 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 490 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 387 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 179 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 390 8
- OneNote is fantastic 471 11
- VAT Direct Debit 353 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 435 8
- Self Assessment Software 681 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 434 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,349 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 246 11
- Owning overseas property 235 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 344 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 281 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 689 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,148 21
- PPR on a development? 240 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 651
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 400
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 400
- Property letting & CAs 387
- 2015 tax year end 382
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 381
- FCA regulated company in a small group 339
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 264
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 236
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 230