Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Company Accounts 406 8
- What is the role of an accountant? 276 8
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,291 22
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 62 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 269 7
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 31 2
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 183 4
- VAT on introducer fees 103 2
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 35 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 169 12
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 311 18
- Scottish but not UK 266 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 254 9
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 279 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,152 362
- CIS 335 11
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 109 5
- Sole Trade - Losses B/Fwd 281 14
- Construction Industry Scheme Age Limit 107 3
- P11D Query 116 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 427
- National Insurance 326
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 319
- Non Resident 250
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 239
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 222
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154