Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 99 1
- Registration as self-employed 34 1
- BrightPay 1,079 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 471 7
- Regular Director bonus 399 10
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 263 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,048 17
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 894 13
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 593 14
- BIK for an electric car 146 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,609 90
- Corporation Tax Software 361 10
- How do I save face? 2,262 14
- Goodie bag 3,041 72
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 106 1
- How many associated companies 183 2
- Signed accounts for a lender 444 17
- can I approach clients ? 930 11
- Secure document exchange 588 6
- New Agency rules - who's responsible? 176 2
- Possible Partnership? 681
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 532
- Fuming! 501
- New Fangled Penalties 465
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 330
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 271
- Moving away from CCH software 261
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 251
- Outsource Data Entry 250
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 204