Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 191 8
- VAT on motor expenses 923 34
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 422 14
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 484 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,742 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,186 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 120 2
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 242 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,394 42
- Sage 50 142 1
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 245 5
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 207 9
- Introduction of Goodwill 260 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 132 2
- Sage 50 (2010) 143 3
- sole trader - operating under cis 124 2
- What does it mean?? 399 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 295 13
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 149 3
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 180 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,552
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 239
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 214
- Management expenses for investment company 213
- Bonus Bonds 211
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196