Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Director leaving in month 1 229 5
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 158 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 134 3
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 191 6
- Basic RTI - how to re-enter lost data? 73 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,379 22
- Secondment expenses 184 5
- VAT Option to tax 502 18
- Clarify the tax position 63 1
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 132 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 237 6
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 329 4
- CIS and Close Company 155 5
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 219 4
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 85 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 364 8
- Giving advice to friends / family 155 2
- Ex Gratia payments 130 2
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,213 27
- Employee satisfaction surveys 87 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 917
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 645
- Free Tax Legislation? 416
- Director Loan account operation 409
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 357
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 324
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 225
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 199
- Pension Fixed Protection 164