Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 2,635 54
- Personal Allowance for non residents 365 9
- Vat 84 3
- PAYE 100 3
- xerocon 71 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,098 10
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 156 1
- VAT: option to tax 113 2
- IHT dilemma 300 11
- Share Valuation 66 2
- Dormant company or not? 318 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 97 1
- Best form of debt recovery 169 3
- Backdating VAT claim 54 1
- WIP recognition for builders 378 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 311 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 194 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 122 2
- Share Issue 220 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 152 11
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 656
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 521
- Auto enrolment excuses 502
- Removed post 371
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 348
- Social investment tax relief 162
- Call Centre Data Costs 156
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 155
- Digita Hosted Software 140
- option to tax 127