Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Late Registration for VAT 460 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 133 11
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 42 1
- EIS/SEIS 121 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 247 1
- You know its over 138 2
- Cocaine anyone? 409 7
- TaxCalc Accounts production 384 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 384 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 644 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 512 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 531 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 64 1
- Personal pension 384 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 211 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,191 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 887 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 114 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,502 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 307 4
- Hive up 479
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 443
- corporate hierarchy 423
- Advice - 261
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 216
- WWOOFers 211
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 198
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 190
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 168
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 164