Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Starting Again 163 4
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 692 35
- P11D Software 767 9
- Mortgage Adviser's request 206 6
- CGT on spouse's death 136 5
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 189 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 245 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 375 10
- Tax relief for networking day out? 400 8
- Payroll software 176 4
- Company UTR numbers 295 6
- Summer house for business only 101 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 100 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 561 18
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 139 3
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 136 3
- How do you count your clients 407 4
- Contractor & possible IR35 154 1
- GASDS What's the rule? 114 1
- Proposal to strike off...... 471 9
- Construction CIS LLP Company 592
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 580
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 379
- Pensions Regulator 346
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 280
- Government Gateway - VAT 276
- Using the correct forms 262
- SA penalty proposals 245
- RTI - duplicate employee record 237
- Accelerated payment notices 228