Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 83 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 127 2
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 180 13
- Invoice Help 219 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 145 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 224 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 216 3
- Sorry ignore me 890 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 563 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,934 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,246 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 795 20
- VAT & capitalising 85 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 334 5
- Free Shares ? 243 2
- Is this a scam? 562 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 296 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 279 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 150 1
- Peer to Peer lending 868 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 624
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 530
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 284
- Cancelled 244
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 191
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 170
- What's the market like for temps? 165
- Married woman dies owning marital home 165