Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Excel query 48 2
- Funding Circle experience 101 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,221 13
- Payment on account penalties 70 3
- Tax on free shares 106 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 180 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 189 8
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 111 1
- Audit 463 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 380 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 107 3
- Buying a horse?? 393 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 181 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 744 21
- PITA ex-client 225 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 243 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 351 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 320 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,665 19
- New supplier 153 3
- CTA study material 800
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 491
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 452
- Employment related securities question 317
- AIM Stocks and IHT 304
- Expat pension contributions? 277
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 274
- Trust for Employee 253
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 219
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 157