Bad Attitude from HMRC for spreading tax payments
I know many of you have stories of how ignorant & unhelpful HMRC can be, but when I met my client at the week-end I was amazed at a conversation he had with them in January. My client had a really serious accident in November and didn't get back to work for several months. As he wasn't earning for a few months he had to eat into the money he had put aside for his tax. He rang HMRC to ask if he could pay his £2,500 tax he owed, in instalments. He offered to pay £1,200 straight away and then split the remaining balance over the following 2 months. This is how the conversation went:-
Client: Is it possible for me to spread my payments over the next few months to clear my self assessment tax I owe.
Nasty HMRC Man: You haven't got the god given right you know!
Client: I'm aware of that but I don't have funds available to pay what is due.
Nasty HMRC Man: Why not?
Client: I had a really bad accident and have been unable to work for several months.
Nasty HMRC Man: Have you got any assets? Could you not re-mortgage your house?
Client: What just for £2,500.
Nasty HMRC Man: What about your Van or tools, could you not sell any of them to pay your debt?
Client: If I do that you won't get any money at all will you, as I won't be able to get to work or have the equipment I need to do the job.
Nasty HMRC Man: Ok, but if you pay £1,200 now, you have to pay the balance next month.
After various discussions he finally agreed a payment plan he knew he could stick to, but I am gobsmacked, what gives HMRC, 'the god given right', to be so rude and unhelpful. They say you must ring them if you know you will have difficulty paying and then they treat you like s**t.
I know some of you will probably have other stories to tell, but I just had to share this one!
- Clients 786 17
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 258 5
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 336 3
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 272 2
- HMRC stupidity of the day 151 2
- Newly Started Practice 725 14
- Sage Payroll 178 4
- PAYROLL - SAGE v Microsoft Payroll Manager 176 3
- Client's company struck off 830 19
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 206 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 243 2
- Tax and children 198 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 590 8
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 400 16
- Directors obligation to notify 175 1
- Starting new accounting business 362 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 170 4
- error on companies house accounts 782 18
- RTI penalties 178 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 339 5
- QROP pension input amounts 506
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 492
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 451
- EPS and CIS deductions 312
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 299
- Construction CIS LLP Company 292
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 257
- SAGE winforecast 210
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 196
- Overdrawn director account 183