Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Tax - Paying Yearly 148 7
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 117 1
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 161 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 175 1
- charities 206 3
- Anyone using PracticePA? 222 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 424 4
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 273 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 96 1
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 172 2
- New company uses old Bank Account 213 2
- converting garage to use as office 277 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 646 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 124 2
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 327 7
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,182 11
- Strike off 434 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 144 2
- auto enrolment 284 1
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 330 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 375
- Any thoughts on Capium? 331
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 292
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 267
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 252
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 228
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 176
- French ConnectionUK 164
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 158
- APN's 157