Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Abolish the penalty regime 35 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 236 3
- Gift or Capital Gain? 315 9
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 317 6
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 875 24
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 287 7
- Capital Gain? 422 11
- IHT Query 103 2
- Reversing out RTI 157 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 299 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 277 6
- BrightPay 624 18
- Classic cars investment 248 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 246 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 327 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 363 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 277 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 286 2
- H&W company 267 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 219 3
- Benchmarking 498
- Possible Partnership? 445
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 418
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 416
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 362
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 217
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 213
- Clubs and Taxable Income 205
- Income tax on foreign dividends 196
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 191