Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 120 3
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,458 40
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 59 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 228 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 227 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,228 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 360 6
- Go Cardless 378 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 321 3
- Mehjoo 331 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 143 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 400 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 192 4
- SA302 340 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 292 13
- Bringing money to Uk 295 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 216 4
- Hmrc software 255 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 191 1
- Hosted email exchange 191 5
- Xtuple 517
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 235
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 209
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 209
- Domain name sale and limited company 181
- CIS schemes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151