Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Buying a horse?? 109 6
- Audit 283 8
- Awkward IP 1,350 14
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 124 6
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 770 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 475 7
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 612 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 756 22
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,004 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,111 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 132 1
- carry back of gift aid 190 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 305 8
- What's in a name ? 1,054 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 925 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 245 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 568 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 250 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 421 6
- Potentially dodgy client 482 3
- CTA study material 790
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 431
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 272
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 265
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 208
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154