Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 2,872 97
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 239 3
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 65 2
- Solicitor wants to rent room in my office but 140 3
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 153 2
- Statement of Accounts 68 3
- GP's Annual Certificate of Pensionable Profits - Multiple Practices 132 2
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 202 7
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 200 3
- Transfer of Software to sister company 174 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 335 4
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 157 1
- CGT history of shares 245 4
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 293 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 392 6
- CGT on sale of let property 177 2
- how do i get UTR 219 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 119 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 282 3
- Your comments please 373 6
- Moving away from CCH software 981
- QROP pension input amounts 459
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 388
- fraud 309
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 292
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 249
- Construction CIS LLP Company 234
- EPS and CIS deductions 228
- Out of time or not? 216