Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Trademark Fun 13 1
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 75 2
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,426 37
- Any Scottish members out there? 5,846 205
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 121 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 585 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 122 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 111 1
- Recycle old study books 339 9
- Share for share exchange 103 3
- Wind turbines 106 1
- Looking for a qualified accountant 487 2
- Locum Doctor claiming costs for Home Office 146 2
- FL Memo - Any Good 384 7
- VAT claim 345 6
- How to reclaim input tax from mixed use redevelopment? 152 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 383 9
- State Pension 1,179 10
- Late Corporation tax return 349 7
- The iIns and outs of VAT 371 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,053
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 337
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 286
- National Insurance 240
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 219
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 215
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 204
- Payments on account coded out?? 199
- Non Resident 156
- Franchise income and costs 135