Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 104 1
- How much does the company pay 767 33
- Proof of identification 49 1
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 66 2
- Which tax returns can I submit? 75 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 287 5
- Using home as clients registered address 182 4
- Childcare vouchers 362 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 68 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 68 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 55 1
- two business from one premises 179 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 42 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 415 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 350 4
- Merry Christmas 124 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 83 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,100 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 422 13
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 507
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 275
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 245
- Cocaine anyone? 232
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 220
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177