Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Moneysoft - technical query 182 4
- Let Property Campaign 153 3
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 34 1
- What would you do? 321 2
- Taxable income for previous years 350 8
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 63 1
- Depreciation on purchase of software 134 2
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,297 16
- App recommendations 321 4
- Defend your local inspector? 616 7
- accountant in Bristol 499 1
- New Company Director PAYE Question 757 20
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,133 19
- How long should one give Aweb … 704 9
- Resident and Non-resident 761 7
- Benefit in Kind - Director loan or not? 162 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 411 16
- Working Hours Calculation - Rounding Hours up/down 138 2
- Self employed Self Assessment 397 2
- Applying for clearance before 5 years share ownership 172 2
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 355
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 343
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 277
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 251
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 251
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 242
- Electric Car 194
- S222 Charge 184
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 171
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 171