Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Lease 37 1
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 158 5
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 104 4
- Digita Hosted Software 367 2
- VAT Office Grimsby 87 2
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 353 8
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 79 2
- Thin Client recomendation 154 2
- format cell to exclude decimals 274 15
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 106 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,250 15
- Homing sandwiches 824 19
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 238 2
- SUSPECTED OR INVALID BENEFIT FRAUD 207 2
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 92 2
- IT advisory questions? 405 11
- Direct debit entry query 150 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 798 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 219 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,199 18
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,295
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 846
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 537
- Credit where credit's due....... 329
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 251
- TheTax Donut 216
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 178
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 164
- Director's business mileage 141
- Sole trader CPD 137