Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Tax Relief on Bridging Loan 52 2
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 862 32
- Use of home deduction 513 15
- Copy Wanted 674 3
- Non resident income. 244 12
- Company dividends 400 12
- Self Assessment University Superannuation Scheme 74 1
- 11pm and having a blonde moment 113 2
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 190 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 536 21
- Software 341 8
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 408 6
- SA late payment penalty 192 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 300 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 120 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 125 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 130 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 139 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,429 81
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 270 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 857
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 550
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 516
- Latest phishing scam 407
- Entrepreneurs' relief 377
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 337
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 320
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 303
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 216
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 193