Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Next Move 544 15
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 255 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 161 3
- Company formation and bank account 282 8
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 657 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,549 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 551 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 401 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 203 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 395 8
- OneNote is fantastic 502 11
- VAT Direct Debit 362 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 444 8
- Self Assessment Software 687 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 438 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,359 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 272 11
- Owning overseas property 254 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 367 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 285 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 659
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 402
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 401
- Property letting & CAs 391
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 383
- 2015 tax year end 383
- FCA regulated company in a small group 340
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 280
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 230
- DTA tie-breaker issue 202