Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Sage Priority Support 87 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 679 18
- incorrect old p60 106 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 477 4
- VAT on new builds 108 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 344 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 121 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 111 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 127 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,833 26
- Missing tax return 167 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 918 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 274 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 160 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 554 18
- Physiotherapy 241 3
- Inflation and fees 1,216 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 163 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 280 8
- CGT help please 146 1