Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Helping clients with bookkeeping but not a bookkeeper 733 19
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,407 20
- Wear & Tear Allowances 306 7
- That old chestnut 348 7
- Supply to Irish State Body 215 2
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 327 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 281 3
- Non controlling shares - how to set up 248 9
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 233 3
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 206 4
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 117 1
- MAAT vs ACCA 1,958 35
- IR35 - relationship of WIP 662 6
- How to tell HMRC Limited Co. is active 213 3
- Tax relief for Director incurring business expenses on his credit card 208 2
- Repair or improvement? 432 7
- National Insurance. 155 1
- Trust tax return 172 1
- VAT on land sale 165 6
- Property Development 322 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 406
- CTA study material 360
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 268
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 251
- new capital structure ltd with investors 204
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 200
- Pre incorp expenses 199
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 180
- Slight twist on employment related securities 172
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 154