Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 704 5
- See you all on the other side 732 6
- 12Pay 500 2
- dividends 699 2
- R&D 352 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,209 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 467 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 455 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 404 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 566 5
- Seeking a tax case 672 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 535 4
- Companies house strike off 622 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 467 2
- Moving to the cloud 770 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 224 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 931 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 229 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,110 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 520 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 571
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 424
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 378
- IRIS and FRS 102 361
- Capitalising Finance Lease 339
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 335
- Marginal rates of tax 326
- USA help 326
- Class 2 NI 315
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 302