Better to buy or lease car as sole trader?
My client, a self employed sports coach, intends to purchase a car for use in his business. Business use will be approximately 80%.
He wishes to know whether it will be more advantageous from a tax point of view to buy or lease a car.
If he buys the car outright (expected purchase price £6,000) then this will be included in the main pool for writing down allowances at 20% (as the emissions are < 160g/km). The vehicle will be written down by £1200 in the first year, with the allowance restricted to 80% of this value (£960) because of the private use.
If he leases the car, I understand that the amount he can claim as a business expense of the lease cost depends on the emissions of the car, and as long as the emissions are < 160g/km, then the full lease cost (less private use adjustment) can be claimed as a business expense.
He can also claim the fuel costs and maintenance costs (less adjustment for private use) with both options, although I presume there would be less maintenance involved with a lease car if this is included in the lease arrangement.
Am I missing anything important? It is tricky to directly compare the two options as a lease would be of a newer vehicle than the one my client has funds available to purchase, but my client is keen to understand the tax implications of his decision.
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 219 5
- VAT on non-denominated postage 178 6
- LEL and PAYE registration 46 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 759 24
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 115 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 163 1
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 851 40
- Tax relief for networking day out? 542 14
- SA316s 202 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 89 1
- Swiching tax 538 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 520 10
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 542 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 381 11
- Start-up cost recognition 117 1
- Lunches 280 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 411 8
- Generic notification message 269 6
- Property Expenses 229 7
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 180 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 608
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 592
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 388
- Pensions Regulator 352
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 292
- Using the correct forms 267
- RTI - duplicate employee record 259
- SA penalty proposals 257
- Accelerated payment notices 237
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 229