Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- New supplier 33 2
- Awkward IP 1,426 15
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 37 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 195 12
- Audit 341 9
- Buying a horse?? 250 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 200 4
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,083 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 961 11
- What's in a name ? 1,125 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 216 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 789 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 497 7
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 636 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 779 22
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,118 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 140 1
- carry back of gift aid 195 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 311 8
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 264 1
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 437
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 272
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 271
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 210
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154