Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 947 29
- You know its over 332 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 486 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 216 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 169 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 156 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 239 3
- Cocaine anyone? 506 8
- Late Registration for VAT 484 13
- EIS/SEIS 139 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 274 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 413 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 420 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 715 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 551 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 587 4
- Personal pension 399 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 221 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,215 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 170 3
- Hive up 490
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 457
- corporate hierarchy 436
- Advice - 271
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 224
- WWOOFers 217
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 206
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 199
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 178
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 174