Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Work to Rented Business Premises 117 1
- Bank Statement Scanning Software? 119 1
- Not a question but made my day 1,157 23
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 377 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,148 24
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 122 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 256 4
- I forgiven loan an Output? 153 2
- V T Software 174 2
- Thinning income 340 3
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 134 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 344 4
- tax credits 250 4
- Past rental expenses 116 1
- What do do about VAT? 541 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 285 5
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 190 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 221 4
- Audacity 1,322 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 695 8
- NHS finance professionals 594
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 389
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 324
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 305
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 271
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 225
- IFA income recognition & reporting 199
- Incorporating doctors 192