Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Coming in from the cold 298 3
- Splitting the tax year 148 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 179 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 159 4
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 146 2
- Submitting tax return 100 1
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 197 3
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 253 8
- Director's tax return 328 7
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 101 1
- Sage Payroll 313 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 206 6
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,065 33
- vat return 262 3
- Flat rate vat 149 1
- Value pricing 732 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 162 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 239 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 293 4
- Reregister for VAT 163 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 805
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 557
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 424
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 302
- Free Tax Legislation? 272
- Director Loan account operation 253
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 251
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 244
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 231
- Paye procedures for CVA 164