Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 275 12
- Directors loan accounts 217 6
- Professional Clearance 1,486 23
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 310 8
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 77 2
- Change of director first name on Annual Return 111 2
- BTC Software 235 9
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 167 7
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 83 5
- Taxfiler V's BTC 750 29
- FRS 102 Fair Value v open market value 82 1
- Goods Purchased for Rental 565 30
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,689 25
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 82 1
- Sage reporting 80 3
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 226 7
- Completing RP1 form in re Redundancy /Insolvency 215 7
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 198 8
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 206 4
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,184 18
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,011
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 519
- NOVA 476
- Bonus Bonds 359
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 341
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 259
- Payment for Promotional Samples 232
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 226
- Quickbooks 2015 156
- Friendly Pensions 153