Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 115 5
- Consolidation IFRS 64 1
- White van man 414 20
- Writing down allowance / AIA 102 4
- Worried over stock value 207 4
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 80 1
- foreign income 121 2
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 176 9
- Window Comb Binder Cover 301 5
- STUDENT LOAN 82 1
- Bookkeeping question 598 6
- wave software 225 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 356 8
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 236 3
- Backdate C79? 166 2
- Entertaining - definition? 312 2
- Do you lose losses on cessation 368 10
- SA1 Online 103 1
- UK resident non domicile recieving a gift from his parents in Pakistan. 104 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 99 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 823
- Copy Wanted 548
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 506
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 487
- Latest phishing scam 346
- Entrepreneurs' relief 317
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 287
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 274
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 182