Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Payment plans for clients 285 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 76 4
- Community awards 2014 - first category 193 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 476 14
- Employee steeling client data 119 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,357 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 190 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 133 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 93 1
- CT600 275 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 214 4
- signature required 914 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 193 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 339 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 333 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 157 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 90 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 154 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 98 1
- Lease 149 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,309
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 855
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 550
- Credit where credit's due....... 342
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 262
- TheTax Donut 234
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 191
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 183
- Director's business mileage 152
- Sole trader CPD 146