Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 994 31
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 236 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 60 1
- Voluntary Disclosure 313 6
- valuation of vehicles 443 18
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 353 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 434 4
- BTC is slow 281 3
- Director registration for SA question 497 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 417 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 509 22
- Business only use of company car 714 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 519 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 340 4
- New Company reviews please 573 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 332 4
- VAT with Russia 260 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 238 4
- Money Laundering Manual 316 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 261 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 309
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 254
- Any thoughts on Capium? 247
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 246
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 223
- auto enrolment 196
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 179
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 162
- How to account for investment in JV? 160
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 150