Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- EC VAT 195 8
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 498 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 277 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 519 16
- can I claim a per diem 239 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 131 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,360 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 235 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 235 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 62 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 271 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 524 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 827 19
- Flat rate vat error 301 6
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 150 3
- Linux Accounting Software 559 13
- RTI due -no broadband 153 1
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 105 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 120 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 906 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 822
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 500
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 315
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 225
- Tax efficient holding company structure 219
- Investment property company accounts template 215
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 177