Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Auto enrolment 162 2
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 119 3
- Registration as self-employed 166 2
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,058 15
- Corporation Tax Software 408 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 93 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 677 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 115 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 169 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 123 4
- Regular Director bonus 457 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 156 1
- BrightPay 1,100 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 552 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 375 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,129 17
- BIK for an electric car 175 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,644 90
- How do I save face? 2,416 14
- Goodie bag 3,130 72
- Possible Partnership? 700
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 539
- Fuming! 525
- New Fangled Penalties 469
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 337
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 279
- Moving away from CCH software 268
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 260
- Outsource Data Entry 259
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 210