Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Client refusing to change basis period 231 10
- Free accounts system for small business? 409 9
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,456 43
- VAT on converting Commercial property to residential 66 3
- It gets worse ! 384 2
- PCTR for Audit Qualification 95 1
- Building premises bought on 99 year lease 80 1
- Companies House Authentication code 236 9
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,999 66
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 182 2
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 476 8
- Payroll Software Recommendations 318 10
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 353 15
- saturday staff 415 4
- Sports Club - Option to tax 67 1
- Highlighting a line on cell click 64 4
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 540 12
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 657 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 358 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 272 3
- Xtuple 587
- Qtac payroll for bureau 414
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 357
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 231
- Tax on damages received 211
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 174
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 166
- PTP Software 158
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 142
- Software for Belgium Company 142