Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Which profit figure to use 159 2
- Audit partner? 326 7
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 55 1
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 256 9
- home office expenses as a director 155 6
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 835 22
- Sick pay 129 2
- Undeclared rental income 272 5
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 214 4
- Drop box Storage 882 9
- Drop Down Boxes 157 2
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 215 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,387 498
- CIS paid under reg 9 212 1
- PAYE Refunds from HMRC 185 4
- rti 242 9
- Cash injection by shareholder 730 9
- Another goodwill question ....... 244 2
- FIFA game and making money 1,762 15
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 412 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,404
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 535
- National Insurance 436
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 256
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 240
- Employer's Helpline 194
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 163
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 159
- Umbrella pay services 134