Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,657 38
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 276 6
- Tax implication on superannuation 177 3
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,545 25
- GRNI - Normal Balance 63 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 200 3
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 216 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 810 13
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 85 2
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,294 24
- VAT - Check on clients business 907 37
- Second Limited Company 109 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 490 10
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 289 8
- Probate services 367 7
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 488 20
- trading losses allowable? 757 14
- Post AAT? 685 3
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 136 1
- Treatment of valuation fee for IHT. 194 2