Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Transferring rental property to limited company 167 9
- Advertising Tips? 144 6
- IR35 289 3
- Not renewing AAT 1,407 14
- Cloud-based email services? 238 6
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 401 12
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 177 5
- Dormant co. now trading 300 9
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,655 21
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 2,151 25
- Company Structure 110 4
- Online or Paper 64-8? 188 4
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 392 4
- Lease premium payment of £20,000 143 3
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 125 2
- VAT on sale of goods outside of EU - Flat Rate 136 5
- Late PAYE Registration 198 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,474 27
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 155 3
- Auto Enrolment 591 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 722
- 2015 tax year end 461
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 426
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 370
- Costly Accounting Software contract 346
- Directors' advances and credits 277
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 258
- DTA tie-breaker issue 246
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 232
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 206