Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- ATT Exam tips and study help 194 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 61 1
- FBI2 191 3
- Double entry 145 4
- Companies House 127 3
- sage 81 2
- Small house in garden 130 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 100 2
- Clients 912 18
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,031 12
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 279 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 134 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 266 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 306 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 127 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 517 11
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 162 3
- SAGE winforecast 248 1
- Trust 114 1
- VAT NETP and Tax Agents/Representatives joimnt and several liability 79 1
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 534
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 466
- EPS and CIS deductions 326
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 310
- Construction CIS LLP Company 299
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 295
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 261
- Overdrawn director account 217
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 204
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 199