Big Society Capital: will it make a difference?
The government has unveiled a new financial institution, called ‘Big Society Capital’, to finance charities and community groups.
It will initially be funded by £400m from forgotten bank accounts and a further £200m from high street banks.
The Prime Minister said: "This is about supplying capital to help society expand. Just as finance from the City has been essential to help businesses grow and take on the world, so finance from the City is going to be essential to helping tackle our deepest social problems."
The bank will be run independently of the government and chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen. Cohen said: “What we’ve done for business entrepreneurs we must now do for social entrepreneurs,”
This is a major step towards the Conservative vision of a “big society”, but is it simply a cover for deep cuts in public services?
- Just for fun. 698 22
- VAT on purchase of plant from Germany 99 3
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 74 1
- How to pay national insurance 502 16
- Spam blocking 124 4
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 207 4
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 205 9
- AccountingWeb is unworkable 122 1
- Small pool write off 209 4
- Bonus in june 234 2
- Where do I declare dividends in HMRC's Computations software ? 175 5
- reduce rate VAT on conversion from 2 to 1 dwelling 105 2
- HMRC Email 319 5
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,921 21
- Employment status 213 3
- BIM47080 and director training before trade starts 175 5
- Accounting Software for Small Practice 989 23
- Hannah's blog post about fish 366 4
- Overlap relief 642 16
- Timescale for S455/S458 reclaims 167 3
- Theatre Tax Relief 481
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 376
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 369
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 343
- Perkbox 309
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 302
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 269
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 267
- Document Management Systems 249
- WIP Software 229