Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 212 10
- Company name change question... 155 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,147 73
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 855 23
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 143 2
- Writing down allowance / AIA 158 6
- What is Tronk System of payroll ? 57 1
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 432 14
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 261 4
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,312 23
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 168 5
- Consolidation IFRS 70 1
- White van man 438 20
- Worried over stock value 224 4
- foreign income 130 2
- Window Comb Binder Cover 308 5
- STUDENT LOAN 114 1
- Bookkeeping question 604 6
- wave software 234 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 364 8
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 833
- Copy Wanted 556
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 512
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 491
- Latest phishing scam 352
- Entrepreneurs' relief 326
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 297
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 286
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 283
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 186