Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 66 1
- FPS Submission 50 2
- VT accounts licence key 150 4
- PTP software disaster 129 1
- Wrong career 319 13
- Value pricing 619 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 188 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 83 1
- vat return 198 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 143 3
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 158 4
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 53 1
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,937 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 141 3
- Director's tax return 112 2
- reporting salary? 236 5
- Other forums 188 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 361 17
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 155 1
- Career Advice 158 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 780
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 532
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 399
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 285
- Free Tax Legislation? 231
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 228
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- Director Loan account operation 221
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 213
- Paye procedures for CVA 153