Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 24 1
- is this fraud? 525 11
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,205 27
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 745 14
- Not a good start no broadband 318 7
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 377 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 598 10
- Property initial recognition 124 2
- P11D Dispensation 197 3
- Question regarding gym training 220 3
- CPD 77 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 403 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 133 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 168 4
- Directors Subsistence 378 3
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 204 2
- How long are 64-8s taking these days? 426 9
- R&D tax credit claim 168 4
- New company - form a group? 108 1
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 137 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 566
- Cancelled 339
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 322
- Cancelled 278
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 241
- Probiz 223
- CIS Deductions 185
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 167
- Car leasing scheme 158