Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 122 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 266 3
- Community awards 2014 - first category 62 2
- Payment plans for clients 253 3
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 400 11
- CT600 236 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 298 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 39 1
- Lease 106 4
- Free invoicing software 486 4
- Digita Hosted Software 389 4
- signature required 857 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,288 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 161 5
- Thin Client recomendation 204 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 179 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 154 2
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 108 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 123 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,293 15
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,298
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 849
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 540
- Credit where credit's due....... 333
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 252
- TheTax Donut 220
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 180
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 169
- Director's business mileage 144
- Sole trader CPD 144