Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- Reverse charge and EC sales list 62 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,134 33
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 154 6
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,312 19
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 746 12
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 43 1
- How much of your work is admin? 509 4
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 167 8
- Goodwill complications 204 3
- Late Registration for VAT 245 8
- Registering a company late 382 13
- Claiming pre-letting mortgage costs on first rental property 101 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 125 1
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 163 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 124 1
- Personal pension 300 5
- Directors taking money out of business, how to record in sage instant accounts. 160 2
- Director taking salary, dividends and consultancy fees? 258 1
- Deferred Tax 299 5
- Legal fees selling rental property 216 3
- TheTax Donut 1,026
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 682
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 625
- Follower cases 489
- Limited company purchase of property 421
- Hive up 418
- corporate hierarchy 383
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 380
- LIVE chat, starting now 334
- AIA or IFA 224