Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- Flat Rate VAT 213 8
- When to register or not for PAYE 529 11
- Invoicing for monthly clients 474 8
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 214 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 558 8
- Redundancy pay 311 9
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 222 2
- VAT on farm machinery sold 260 5
- Servicing AE fees 159 2
- VAT Receipts 260 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 121 2
- P800 problems again 97 1
- Company accounts for £350 963 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 420 12
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,152 40
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 144 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 220 5
- Software for Accounts layout 266 4
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 240 6
- Debt management unit HMRC 174 1
- FRS 101 Software 332
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 302
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 295
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 271
- French ConnectionUK 236
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 210
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 201
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 199
- APN's 183
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 181