Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- directors control and tax problems 82 4
- Bulk Invoicing 154 6
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 169 5
- What would you do in this situation? 492 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 126 3
- Help Required 281 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 224 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 396 14
- What's in a name ? 242 4
- ATED Penalties 261 1
- late second payment on account 153 2
- US royalties 80 2
- Project being run jointly 126 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 177 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 182 3
- Sole trader mix up 292 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 735 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 895 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 210 4
- Filing company accounts 137 1
- CTA study material 697
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 423
- Employment related securities question 265
- AIM Stocks and IHT 244
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 198
- Trust for Employee 184
- Expat pension contributions? 183
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 159
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 152
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 118