Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,597 45
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 155 6
- Property scam victim 259 4
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 165 5
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 183 6
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 462 12
- Aggressive HMRC 1,771 19
- Is there is a tax neutral way of splitting a company? 138 6
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 99 2
- Partnership returns software 44 1
- Personal consumption by landlord 253 2
- Business purchase cost - treatment? 33 1
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 68 1
- company loss, Can he start again?? 125 4
- Early repayment of CIS deductions - sole trader 119 5
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 240 1
- VAT chargeable or not? 233 4
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 422 8
- Company Fuel - Reimbursement to avoid Benefit in Kind 88 4
- Charity reserves 360 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,072
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 569
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 380
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 284
- Charge out rates in London? 231
- Interest on Loan to a Company 183
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 169
- Agent fees to sell business 159
- Alphabet shares 151
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 148