Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- When to recover vat on bad debts 107 4
- Can't find a good web address 156 3
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 182 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 203 5
- effective advertising 228 6
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 184 8
- Software recommendations 311 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 145 3
- Edible spam? 802 16
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 299 5
- Put fees on website 281 6
- Director resignation 216 4
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,538 27
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,323 4
- Sigma Red 1,412 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 341 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 107 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 182 2
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 451 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 518 7
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 477
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 464
- WIP Software 336
- No payroll scheme in place 288
- Is there anything wrong with this? 258
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 252
- Small Part Disposal of Property 228
- Uncommercial property business 221
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 192
- SA Penalty 181