Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- Self-assessment statistics 2,472 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 216 5
- Transmission of ISA 49 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 183 2
- Next Move 715 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 180 2
- Not renewing AAT 677 9
- CGT of shares gifted 383 6
- New dividend taxation 498 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,798 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 157 1
- Company car v company allowance 285 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 437 9
- Company formation and bank account 436 9
- Owning overseas property 347 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 291 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 278 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 711 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 733 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 283 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 667
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 399
- 2015 tax year end 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 395
- FCA regulated company in a small group 347
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 320
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 211
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 208