Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 52 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,716 65
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 233 7
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 366 4
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 269 5
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 232 6
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 900 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 184 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 114 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 192 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 394 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 335 9
- Merging my businesses 145 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,726 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 518 16
- VAT on commercial property 155 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,051 49
- deceased creditor 211 5
- Corporate member of LLP 281 1
- Investment company 275 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 782
- RTI - duplicate employee record 540
- Pensions Regulator 445
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 405
- Sage Vat return box 2 309
- Sanzar 306
- Digital marketing focus group 291
- How do you do it 280
- Portia ... Where art thou 274
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 260