Book keeping for investments in subsidiaries
My client formed 'newco' which then purchased the share capital of 2 trading companies. The trading activities of the smaller subsidiary were transferred to the larger subsidiary and this smaller subsidiary is now dormant. The ongoing trading activities have not been 'hived up' to the holding company.
Both trading companies voted dividends to their new parent and in the case of the smaller company, the dividend reduced the reserves to £nil.
I am now preparing the holding company's accounts and would welcome opinions on the correct book keeping.
1. The cost of the acquisitions is shown as investments in the balance sheet.
2. The dividends received are shown as income in the p/l (cash helped to pay for shares)
3. Can the cost of the investments be reduced by the amount of the dividend received and this be disclosed as 'amounts written off investments in the p/l?
I could be over complicating the matter?
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 121 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 328 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 212 3
- FreeAgent question 105 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 131 2
- CIS monthly returns 183 2
- Goodie bag 1,555 52
- Husband Wife let property 352 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 502 12
- Output tax for retailer 314 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 282 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 139 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 137 1
- CT600 Advice 138 1
- Fair Value Accounting 80 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 156 4
- can I approach clients ? 410 8
- Companies House Penalties 148 2
- Apostille documents 117 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 547 13
- Possible Partnership? 644
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 518
- New Fangled Penalties 448
- Fuming! 383
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 318
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 257
- Outsource Data Entry 241
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 236
- Moving away from CCH software 229
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 177