Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Operating lease 55 3
- Gifting shares 69 1
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 99 1
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 221 4
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 452 8
- paye scheme very used 148 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 797 25
- Disclosure query 117 3
- Invoice factoring 71 2
- Auto enrolment 277 4
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 236 6
- LLP Accounts format 82 1
- Scoot 303 6
- A question about share structure 72 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 197 3
- Top slicing relief question 153 2
- Share swap 190 3
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 327 2
- Tax on sale of shares 172 3
- Accountants' Error 899 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,466
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 785
- Any views 712
- HMRC Employers Diary 533
- International interest certificate 430
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 399
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 267
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 260