Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Partnership returns software 106 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 810 18
- Tasks for new trainees 164 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 278 10
- VAT on garage rent 144 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 95 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 163 3
- Property scam victim 319 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 246 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 60 1
- Have i messed up? 753 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 424 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 60 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 115 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 76 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 81 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 574 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 108 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,654 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 272 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,095
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 578
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 384
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 290
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 190
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 175
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 163
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 155