Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- VAT on employee loan 279 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 939 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 92 2
- Accountants website 361 5
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 215 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 674 29
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 161 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 446 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 84 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 107 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 354 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,405 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 217 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 168 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 218 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 199 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 717 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 151 1
- Purchased Goodwill 160 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 92 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,082
- Moving away from CCH software 936
- QROP pension input amounts 427
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 372
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 344
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 312
- fraud 269
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 240
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 213
- Construction CIS LLP Company 191