Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Scratch Head 277 1
- Year end 216 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 300 13
- A little knowledge 133 4
- Clothing 599 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 135 6
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,262 18
- Parent and subsidiary... 166 5
- Identity check problem 1,495 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 94 1
- Capital allowances on Software 222 2
- Designated sole Residence 202 4
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 101 3
- Company director and KIT days 119 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,177 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 858 34
- Digita in the cloud 66 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 236 7
- IHT and US resident 126 2
- Tax relief when working away 80 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 957
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 682
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 628
- Latest phishing scam 605
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 442
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 329
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 260
- Sabbatical payments 221
- Negligible Value Claim 200
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 196