Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Rights of Alphabet shares 160 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 183 4
- Telephone call from "Xero" 112 2
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 110 2
- P9D or P11D 879 8
- Business Bank account 86 3
- P35 and Service Company questions 224 6
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 671 28
- Purchase of ltd company 86 3
- Repairs or Improvement? 108 2
- Share Capital 162 3
- Administrative restoration 159 4
- Limited company 68 2
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 158 3
- Excel formula 457 9
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 163 4
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 121 2
- Companies House incorporation service 401 13
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 331 2
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,624 13
- Xtuple 555
- Qtac payroll for bureau 378
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 322
- Industrial & Provident Societies 315
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 308
- CIS schemes 228
- Domain name sale and limited company 206
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 193
- Investment 189
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 185