Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,225 26
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,452 35
- Accountant let me down 606 6
- 2020 Annual Conference 160 2
- Let Property Campaign - Joint Owner Died 101 2
- Professional Clearance 1,213 29
- Client right to working papers 1,434 10
- Growth Street 160 2
- Client has two UTRS, How do you get HMRC to correct this? 235 9
- Microsoft One Drive 619 23
- SA302's - What's the deal? 497 8
- Online Back Up 286 7
- Filing a company valuation with HMRC 101 1
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage Brokering 130 1
- Vat application refused 214 1
- Professional Clearance 427 6
- Self-employed 588 14
- Past rental expenses 317 5
- Redeemable loan note - loss 106 1
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 324 3
- NHS finance professionals 631
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 401
- Foreign Pension Contribution 368
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 345
- vat gross profit percentage margins 344
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 321
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 298
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 290
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 248
- IFA income recognition & reporting 209