Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- FIFA game and making money 1,080 12
- Family loan 1,015 14
- Use of home for storage 193 5
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 196 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,738 329
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 40 1
- App recommended by HMRC for record keeping 1,183 11
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 159 8
- Negativer Payslip Request 101 2
- Anyone out there with charity accounts experience 206 10
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 462 12
- Mortgage deposit Gift 334 16
- Amending Share Capital 164 6
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 100 4
- Loan to a related company 328 14
- Being Tax relevant 538 7
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,003 4
- What should I do for 'free' 457 5
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 508 7
- Payroll provider 333 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,162
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 387
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 303
- National Insurance 293
- Payments on account coded out?? 257
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 251
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 227
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 220
- Non Resident 203
- Franchise income and costs 190