Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Legal title not in the company name 300 11
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 195 2
- Employment Allowance 239 3
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 160 4
- CIC Company 526 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,350 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 294 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 871 18
- NALS Accountants Report 126 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,485 35
- Dividend dates 576 10
- Sole properietor 205 4
- transitioning payroll 259 8
- dividend proposals 140 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 250 2
- Deduction from Salary 317 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 214 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,756 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 101 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 443 10
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 625
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 345
- Cancelled 313
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 284
- Probiz 274
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 235
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 231
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 206
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 177