Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 55 4
- IHT Query 195 4
- How much to charge? 45 1
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 359 9
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 410 2
- BrightPay 673 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 226 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 427 8
- Abolish the penalty regime 193 4
- Gift or Capital Gain? 372 11
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 373 8
- SDLT on leases 128 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 380 7
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 946 26
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 305 4
- Statutary sick pay 225 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 313 4
- Director Salary 372 2
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 308 7
- Capital Gain? 445 11
- Possible Partnership? 457
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 431
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 422
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 223
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 219
- Clubs and Taxable Income 213
- Income tax on foreign dividends 203
- New Fangled Penalties 200
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 200
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 168