Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Company buy back of shares from directors 95 4
- 5th April 97 3
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 246 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,960 32
- Investor exit 219 4
- Please tell me what to do!! 106 3
- client threatening legal action 2,259 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 94 2
- Cash basis 96 4
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 206 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 329 14
- Cash basis 742 27
- Undeclared rental income 2,553 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 530 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 324 9
- Rental income 124 2
- s455 Directors loan 179 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 70 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,183 8
- Non resident capital gains 89 1
- Skandia using wrong address 603
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 325
- Employee rewards 302
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 271
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 237
- Etax Australian 199
- LLP in Construction Industry 162
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 150
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 139
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 132