Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Business rates consultancy 247 4
- Wrong tax code 132 6
- Benefit in Kind 226 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 60 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 223 10
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 37 1
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,045 31
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 638 11
- Deferred Tax 455 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 201 1
- You know its over 470 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 240 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 141 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 220 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,263 14
- Cocaine anyone? 610 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 140 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 178 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 300 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 495 15
- Hive up 508
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 472
- corporate hierarchy 450
- Advice - 288
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 235
- WWOOFers 229
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 215
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 191
- The booking.com con 167
- UK State pension paid in NZ 162