Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Overlap relief 696 18
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,229 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 156 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 167 4
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 191 4
- VAT Query 149 2
- Sacked my first client 593 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 382 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 195 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,243 24
- Share transfer question 246 9
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 601 11
- Trades and deadlines 120 3
- How to pay national insurance 641 18
- New Website Look 1,067 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 253 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 221 5
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 153 4
- Marketing and email surprises 345 7
- Am I too soft? 459 13
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 424
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 417
- WIP Software 284
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 217
- No payroll scheme in place 214
- Software recommendations 193
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 193
- Is there anything wrong with this? 184
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 182