Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Wrong career 311 13
- Value pricing 610 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 187 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 73 1
- FPS Submission 37 1
- vat return 191 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 137 3
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 150 4
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 52 1
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,936 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 138 3
- Director's tax return 109 2
- reporting salary? 229 5
- Other forums 183 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 360 17
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 152 1
- VT accounts licence key 137 3
- Career Advice 158 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 276 5
- Payroo Employer allowance query 92 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 779
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 532
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 399
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 285
- Free Tax Legislation? 229
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 228
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- Director Loan account operation 219
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 211
- Paye procedures for CVA 152