Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 843 5
- See you all on the other side 849 6
- 12Pay 612 2
- dividends 832 2
- R&D 382 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,255 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 504 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 503 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 472 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 611 5
- Seeking a tax case 734 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 589 4
- Companies house strike off 714 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 535 2
- Moving to the cloud 803 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 238 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 973 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 243 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,143 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 560 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 585
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 437
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 384
- Marginal rates of tax 382
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 382
- IRIS and FRS 102 371
- Class 2 NI 364
- Capitalising Finance Lease 352
- USA help 332
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 320