Is bookkeeping dying
I have been involved with accountancy now for nearly 20 years, and one of the most startling developments I have seen in that time is how the role of bookkeeping has changed. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I started my career, it was commonplace to find accountancy firms with many bookkeepers on their staff, offering their clients bookkeeping as a key (and profitable) service. Now, bookkeeping is apparently in decline, with many clients electing to do their books themselves.
What’s brought this about? I believe one factor is the growth in the use of IT in both the home and in the office. Most people, even some senior citizens, are now competent in using the basic home computing packages and this means that they are able to input and manipulate an electronic spreadsheet that will do the necessary, basic calculations on their (or their accountant’s) behalf.
‘Doing the books’ has never been less stressful or complicated as it is today, and this is encouraging people to record and manage their affairs directly, removing what they see as an unnecessary, additional cost: a bookkeeper.
I have recently blogged about this subject (see attached link), and I am interested in other people’s views on the subject. What do you think about the future of bookkeeping? Is there still a place for it in the modern accountancy world? Let me know, either by commenting in the below or contacting me directly.
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,457 43
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 401 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 373 8
- Company formation and bank account 105 4
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 145 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 377 8
- OneNote is fantastic 408 11
- VAT Direct Debit 330 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 409 8
- Self Assessment Software 666 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 423 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,333 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 201 11
- Owning overseas property 195 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 306 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 270 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 677 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,139 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 408 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 644
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 385
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 379
- 2015 tax year end 379
- FCA regulated company in a small group 337
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 236
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 232
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 229