Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- Pay in Lieu of notice 91 3
- inheritance tax 44 1
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 44 1
- Capital payments offshore trust 62 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 92 1
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,140 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 85 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 174 1
- Deduction from Salary 462 11
- Doctor and Locum Work 150 2
- State pension 133 1
- NALS Accountants Report 290 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 259 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,126 40
- CIC Company 617 11
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 275 6
- This is getting boring 476 10
- 27,000 Really? 749 24
- VAT on printing when being a third party 108 2
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 207 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 632
- Cancelled 377
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 349
- Cancelled 323
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 298
- Probiz 287
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 257
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 246
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 214
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 191