Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- Who can I refer leads to? 144 2
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 176 6
- Engagement letter 129 2
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 111 3
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 266 7
- How do you account in the VAT return for 267 4
- Abortive legal fees deductible on sale? 88 2
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 127 3
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 162 2
- Missing accountant! 1,367 6
- ACCA qualified but not enough 1,031 18
- Sage Import Data 151 3
- Australian dividend 88 1
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 481 9
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 97 3
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 572 13
- updating shareholdings on companies house 77 1
- Spanish Tax Return 200 6
- Dividend Vouchers 226 3
- National Insurance. 254 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 420
- CTA study material 386
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 282
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 262
- Pre incorp expenses 237
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 212
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 205
- Slight twist on employment related securities 192
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 136
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 134