Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- AIA 9 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 495 24
- HMRC SA software error? 98 2
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 228 5
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 161 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 248 14
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 147 4
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 155 6
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 962 43
- Treatment of income for sole trader 103 2
- wave software 116 1
- Freelance software consultant 327 5
- client can't/won't pay 301 11
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,143 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 107 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 220 5
- losses carried forward 372 10
- Auto enrolment 1,625 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 225 8
- VT 364 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 780
- Copy Wanted 497
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 454
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 451
- Latest phishing scam 281
- Entrepreneurs' relief 267
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 262
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 246
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 233
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 229