Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- Remittances 115 1
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 108 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 187 1
- Shareholder agreement 197 4
- Corporation tax due date confusion 117 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,494 21
- Accountants' Error 767 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 170 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 168 3
- Scoot 215 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 168 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 232 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 670 11
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 123 1
- Regaining my qualification 249 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 251 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 282 2
- Auto enrolment 223 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 202 3
- Company Reorganisation 176 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,461
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 777
- Any views 706
- HMRC Employers Diary 527
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 264
- Advertising services? 262
- IRIS Open Books problem 255