Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 918 20
- Moneysoft Payroll 164 3
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 79 1
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 246 9
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 242 4
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 929 14
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 469 7
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 160 4
- Client right to working papers 1,541 11
- vat gross margins 186 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 204 4
- e mail 184 1
- Auto enrolment 580 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,355 6
- VAT on new build property 157 2
- Auto enrolment 299 9
- SAGE 50 2011 155 1
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,631 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,878 22
- Loss on sale of goodwill 216 2
- NHS finance professionals 669
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 411
- Foreign Pension Contribution 378
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 368
- vat gross profit percentage margins 358
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 351
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 310
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 277
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 241
- IFA income recognition & reporting 212