Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- ACCA - still making me laugh 393 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 225 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 283 11
- Tax return software for remote working 439 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 455 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 772 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 392 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 432 9
- How to purchase business premises? 117 2
- Will I need to resign? 777 10
- Childcare vouchers 131 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 263 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 293 6
- VAT avoidance? 200 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 170 3
- PAYE coding out 159 3
- Follower cases 568 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 449 2
- Late Registration for VAT 448 12
- TheTax Donut 1,140 1
- Hive up 466
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 431
- corporate hierarchy 413
- Advice - 241
- Amortisation of Goodwill 211
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 196
- WWOOFers 191
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 172
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 171
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 167