Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 14 1
- App recommended by HMRC for record keeping 1,173 11
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 144 8
- Use of home for storage 175 4
- Negativer Payslip Request 83 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,697 328
- Anyone out there with charity accounts experience 197 10
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 167 7
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 436 12
- Mortgage deposit Gift 324 16
- Amending Share Capital 161 6
- Family loan 969 13
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 96 4
- FIFA game and making money 1,032 10
- Loan to a related company 325 14
- Being Tax relevant 529 7
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 975 4
- What should I do for 'free' 439 5
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 504 7
- Payroll provider 327 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,162
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 384
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 303
- National Insurance 293
- Payments on account coded out?? 256
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 248
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 227
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 218
- Non Resident 203
- Franchise income and costs 190