Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,339 32
- Fees 41 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 200 6
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 55 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 222 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 159 2
- Non VAT invoices 62 1
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 214 7
- Form 17 Download 65 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 530 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 364 4
- HMRC Information notice 977 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 260 3
- Accountant Specialization. 361 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,734 42
- Sage Line 50 160 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 167 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 431 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 388 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 158 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 751
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 410
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 297
- S222 Charge 242
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 199
- IP trans to holding company 192
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 179
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 173
- AIA 171