Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- Can I claim mileage? 90 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 172 9
- client threatening legal action 1,803 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 686 8
- Partially exempt? 241 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 91 1
- First VAT Visit for client 237 4
- Dividend in specie 233 7
- Lorry Drivers 142 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 118 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 106 1
- Mexican student in UK 121 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 199 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 303 12
- payroll software 142 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,056 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 118 1
- Pricing 335 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 254 5
- VAT 121 2
- Skandia using wrong address 490
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 279
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 274
- Employee rewards 258
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 227
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 218
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 218
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 215
- Etax Australian 172
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 161