Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- PTP software disaster 119 1
- Wrong career 315 13
- Value pricing 616 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 188 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 77 1
- FPS Submission 38 1
- vat return 193 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 141 3
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 151 4
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 52 1
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,936 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 138 3
- Director's tax return 110 2
- reporting salary? 233 5
- Other forums 185 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 360 17
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 154 1
- VT accounts licence key 142 3
- Career Advice 158 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 280 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 780
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 532
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 399
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 285
- Free Tax Legislation? 229
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 228
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- Director Loan account operation 219
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 212
- Paye procedures for CVA 152