Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- LLP members share of profits 610 32
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 771 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 407 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 121 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 40 1
- Registered Office 48 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 86 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 59 1
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 273 7
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 529 17
- 64-8 on paper or online? 83 2
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 332 10
- Management fees agreement 142 4
- Marginal rate relief not given on loss carry back 67 1
- Business travel apps 333 14
- VAT for Residential Property Developer 165 6
- Closed tax years 101 1
- New Employment Allowance 128 2
- RTI 196 8
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 521 9
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 929
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 656
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 383
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 250
- Paye procedures for CVA 241
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 237
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 182
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 179
- Pension Fixed Protection 179