Breach of Human Rights by HMRC Collector ?
A client who ownes a restaurant has just been visitied by an HMRC distraint officer collecting outstanding VAT which was due and payable. When the officer was on the premises I was telephoned in my office by the client asking for help. I spoke to the collector and asked for a copy of the walking possession order before my client signed it. I was told that under no circumstances would my client be allowed to fax the document to me without it being signed first and if he did not sign it then a van would be immediatly dispatched to collect the tables, chairs and coffee machines that the officer had listed, my client had no choice he had to sign the walking possession order. I was outraged at being unable to view the document that my client was being asked to sign.
Is this practical inability to access professional advise a breach of my clients Human Rights?
Does anybody know if tables, chairs and a coffee machine could be deemed tools of the trade?
Any thoughts most welcome as I am preparing a complaint to HMRC in a fairly short time frame.
- Corporation Tax Software 324 10
- How do I save face? 1,944 14
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,556 89
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 813 7
- HMRC Summons for £14k 236 2
- BrightPay 979 28
- Goodie bag 2,835 72
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 73 1
- How many associated companies 140 2
- BIK for an electric car 97 1
- Signed accounts for a lender 398 17
- can I approach clients ? 837 11
- Regular Director bonus 280 5
- Secure document exchange 576 6
- New Agency rules - who's responsible? 128 2
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 586 9
- FreeAgent question 318 8
- Mortgage interest 108 1
- Practising options 498 6
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 456 10
- Possible Partnership? 678
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 530
- Fuming! 474
- New Fangled Penalties 463
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 329
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 271
- Moving away from CCH software 255
- Outsource Data Entry 249
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 249
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 199