Business Records Checks Suspended
"An internal review of HM Revenue & Customs' 'Business Records Checks' initiative found that it had been poorly targeted, overstated how much it would collect for the Treasury and damaged the taxman's relationship with accountants and business groups.
The scheme will be relaunched "early in the next financial year" with a "fresh approach", HMRC said.
Accountants, Conservative backbenchers and business groups had complained that business owners were being "harassed and mistreated" by a pilot version of the scheme."
I believe this was issued late on Friday evening, so no doubt John and the folks at AWeb will provide a more in-depth analysis on Monday.
However, I am encouraged that HMRC have taken action given what many of us have been saying over many months about BRC's.
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 143 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 175 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,216 35
- Mortgage Reference 530 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 230 7
- Insovent companies 881 19
- New Build 188 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,294 48
- BrightPay quirks 202 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 804 20
- Website Content 158 1
- Personal Tax 628 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 177 1
- USA Tax Query 301 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 437 5
- last minute request 654 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 350 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 388 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,739 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 987 6