Business Records Checks Suspended
"An internal review of HM Revenue & Customs' 'Business Records Checks' initiative found that it had been poorly targeted, overstated how much it would collect for the Treasury and damaged the taxman's relationship with accountants and business groups.
The scheme will be relaunched "early in the next financial year" with a "fresh approach", HMRC said.
Accountants, Conservative backbenchers and business groups had complained that business owners were being "harassed and mistreated" by a pilot version of the scheme."
I believe this was issued late on Friday evening, so no doubt John and the folks at AWeb will provide a more in-depth analysis on Monday.
However, I am encouraged that HMRC have taken action given what many of us have been saying over many months about BRC's.
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,193 13
- Excel query 33 1
- Payment on account penalties 58 3
- Tax on free shares 97 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 172 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 172 8
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 108 1
- Audit 449 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 377 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 102 3
- Buying a horse?? 385 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 180 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 737 21
- PITA ex-client 210 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 237 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 347 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 320 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,664 19
- New supplier 142 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 825 22
- CTA study material 799
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 491
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 452
- Employment related securities question 317
- AIM Stocks and IHT 303
- Expat pension contributions? 276
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 273
- Trust for Employee 252
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 219
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 157