Business, tax & accountancy podcasts
Before everyone bunks off for the Jubilee weekend, I’m curious to know how many AccountingWEB members spend their spare time listening to work-related podcasts.
Which ones do you listen to, and what do you like about them? And what subjects that aren’t currently covered well would appeal to you?
The reason I’m asking is because we’re planning to put together some podcasts ourselves and want to get an idea of the level of demand, what what formats and approaches work best.
As part of this exercise, I also want to put together a catalogue of recommended podcasts - so the more recommendations we get from community members, the better!
Here are some of the more interesting ones I’ve found so far. Let us know of any others that you like!
- BBC Bottomline with Evan Davis The Today presenter used to be the BBC’s economics editor, and fronts this useful compilation of panel discussion-based presentations. The quality is as you would expect from the BBC, and while the focus tends to be a little corporate, there’s a good supply and variety of general business topics to choose from. The Moneybox archive with Paul Lewis is also recommended for its tax and pensions coverage.
- ACCA members podcasts There’s a sizeable archive tucked away on the ACCA website, many of which go back a few years. But the CPD lectures page is worth monitoring for recent updates. The podcasts are just audio captures from normal lectures, but may cover topics of interest to you. There’s also a small selection of 15min student podcasts from October 2010.
- ICAEW ethics podcasts Another institute offering a patchy podcast selection. But the ethics podcast series features good production values. While slightly patronising in tone, they range across some important and sensitive topics. MP3s need to be downloaded rather than streamed.
- CIOT podcasts with John Whiting Not only does the institute’s technical doyen know his stuff, he’s got a clear, BBC-endorsed voice and a soothing delivery style that takes some of the stress out of trying to understand tax. But untangling the nation’s fiendishly complex tax system may have distracted him. The last podcast was recorded shortly after the budget in March 2012.
- Tax Justice Network's TaxCast Another seasoned radio performer, Richard Murphy weighs in as a regular contributor to these monthly 15-minute summaries of developments surrounding tax evasion, tax avoidance and the shadow banking system. A different kettle of fish to many of the more technically oriented podcasts, but worth your attention for the political background to current tax debates.
- Accountancy Ireland podcast Fronted by radio presenter Dusty Rhodes, this long-running series is very slick, but its mainstream approach means that the focus is more personality interviews than relevant technical and issues for listeners outside Ireland.
- IASB financial reporting podcasts Dry-as-dust recaps from board meetings where they discuss the definitions and internal workings of proposed international financial reporting standards (IFRS). Intended more for specialists, but very useful if you’d like to get explanations from the horse’s mouth.
That's only a start - let us know the podcasts you think are essential listening for AccountingWEB members.
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 80 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 86 2
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 378 5
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 399 10
- Repayment of Share Capital 65 1
- Self employed care worker 522 12
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 204 1
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 202 1
- Auto enrolment 438 8
- Audacity 942 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 389 7
- Late registration for MOSS 246 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 271 5
- Client right to working papers 376 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 549 6
- Professional Clearance 1,066 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 285 5
- Illegal share transfer 461 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 179 2
- Company Strike off 1,852 30
- NHS finance professionals 535
- VAL231 408
- Mother and son property ownership 381
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 360
- Foreign Pension Contribution 332
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 307
- vat gross profit percentage margins 286
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 285
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 259
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 226