Business, tax & accountancy podcasts
Before everyone bunks off for the Jubilee weekend, I’m curious to know how many AccountingWEB members spend their spare time listening to work-related podcasts.
Which ones do you listen to, and what do you like about them? And what subjects that aren’t currently covered well would appeal to you?
The reason I’m asking is because we’re planning to put together some podcasts ourselves and want to get an idea of the level of demand, what what formats and approaches work best.
As part of this exercise, I also want to put together a catalogue of recommended podcasts - so the more recommendations we get from community members, the better!
Here are some of the more interesting ones I’ve found so far. Let us know of any others that you like!
- BBC Bottomline with Evan Davis The Today presenter used to be the BBC’s economics editor, and fronts this useful compilation of panel discussion-based presentations. The quality is as you would expect from the BBC, and while the focus tends to be a little corporate, there’s a good supply and variety of general business topics to choose from. The Moneybox archive with Paul Lewis is also recommended for its tax and pensions coverage.
- ACCA members podcasts There’s a sizeable archive tucked away on the ACCA website, many of which go back a few years. But the CPD lectures page is worth monitoring for recent updates. The podcasts are just audio captures from normal lectures, but may cover topics of interest to you. There’s also a small selection of 15min student podcasts from October 2010.
- ICAEW ethics podcasts Another institute offering a patchy podcast selection. But the ethics podcast series features good production values. While slightly patronising in tone, they range across some important and sensitive topics. MP3s need to be downloaded rather than streamed.
- CIOT podcasts with John Whiting Not only does the institute’s technical doyen know his stuff, he’s got a clear, BBC-endorsed voice and a soothing delivery style that takes some of the stress out of trying to understand tax. But untangling the nation’s fiendishly complex tax system may have distracted him. The last podcast was recorded shortly after the budget in March 2012.
- Tax Justice Network's TaxCast Another seasoned radio performer, Richard Murphy weighs in as a regular contributor to these monthly 15-minute summaries of developments surrounding tax evasion, tax avoidance and the shadow banking system. A different kettle of fish to many of the more technically oriented podcasts, but worth your attention for the political background to current tax debates.
- Accountancy Ireland podcast Fronted by radio presenter Dusty Rhodes, this long-running series is very slick, but its mainstream approach means that the focus is more personality interviews than relevant technical and issues for listeners outside Ireland.
- IASB financial reporting podcasts Dry-as-dust recaps from board meetings where they discuss the definitions and internal workings of proposed international financial reporting standards (IFRS). Intended more for specialists, but very useful if you’d like to get explanations from the horse’s mouth.
That's only a start - let us know the podcasts you think are essential listening for AccountingWEB members.
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 118 7
- Settlement discount 83 4
- Homing sandwiches 401 10
- CT600 66 2
- signature required 464 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 493 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 166 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 155 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 103 2
- Pratice Management Software 77 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 197 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 116 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 181 2
- Related Party Transactions 106 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 97 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 465 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 756 13
- More AE! 761 17
- Web sites 247 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 609 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,236
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 516
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 308
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 235
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 189
- TheTax Donut 178
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 157
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 157