Business, tax & accountancy podcasts
Before everyone bunks off for the Jubilee weekend, I’m curious to know how many AccountingWEB members spend their spare time listening to work-related podcasts.
Which ones do you listen to, and what do you like about them? And what subjects that aren’t currently covered well would appeal to you?
The reason I’m asking is because we’re planning to put together some podcasts ourselves and want to get an idea of the level of demand, what what formats and approaches work best.
As part of this exercise, I also want to put together a catalogue of recommended podcasts - so the more recommendations we get from community members, the better!
Here are some of the more interesting ones I’ve found so far. Let us know of any others that you like!
- BBC Bottomline with Evan Davis The Today presenter used to be the BBC’s economics editor, and fronts this useful compilation of panel discussion-based presentations. The quality is as you would expect from the BBC, and while the focus tends to be a little corporate, there’s a good supply and variety of general business topics to choose from. The Moneybox archive with Paul Lewis is also recommended for its tax and pensions coverage.
- ACCA members podcasts There’s a sizeable archive tucked away on the ACCA website, many of which go back a few years. But the CPD lectures page is worth monitoring for recent updates. The podcasts are just audio captures from normal lectures, but may cover topics of interest to you. There’s also a small selection of 15min student podcasts from October 2010.
- ICAEW ethics podcasts Another institute offering a patchy podcast selection. But the ethics podcast series features good production values. While slightly patronising in tone, they range across some important and sensitive topics. MP3s need to be downloaded rather than streamed.
- CIOT podcasts with John Whiting Not only does the institute’s technical doyen know his stuff, he’s got a clear, BBC-endorsed voice and a soothing delivery style that takes some of the stress out of trying to understand tax. But untangling the nation’s fiendishly complex tax system may have distracted him. The last podcast was recorded shortly after the budget in March 2012.
- Tax Justice Network's TaxCast Another seasoned radio performer, Richard Murphy weighs in as a regular contributor to these monthly 15-minute summaries of developments surrounding tax evasion, tax avoidance and the shadow banking system. A different kettle of fish to many of the more technically oriented podcasts, but worth your attention for the political background to current tax debates.
- Accountancy Ireland podcast Fronted by radio presenter Dusty Rhodes, this long-running series is very slick, but its mainstream approach means that the focus is more personality interviews than relevant technical and issues for listeners outside Ireland.
- IASB financial reporting podcasts Dry-as-dust recaps from board meetings where they discuss the definitions and internal workings of proposed international financial reporting standards (IFRS). Intended more for specialists, but very useful if you’d like to get explanations from the horse’s mouth.
That's only a start - let us know the podcasts you think are essential listening for AccountingWEB members.
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 186 9
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 49 1
- Incorrect CIS Invoices from Subcontractors 68 3
- SA800 Returns 127 3
- Do you lose losses on cessation 263 8
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,233 20
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 50 1
- Corporation Tax 199 9
- Company name change question... 65 1
- CGT and 2nd property 941 14
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 90 1
- Self Ass. Return 241 3
- Late payment payroll 165 2
- Deferred Tax 220 9
- New Boiler at Rental Property 504 6
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 823 22
- Changed Company Year End - CT Penalty 235 8
- Depreciation 404 8
- Knuckle down one week to go! 422 7
- state pension statement 224 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 812
- Copy Wanted 529
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 482
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 472
- Latest phishing scam 320
- Entrepreneurs' relief 299
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 267
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 262
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 261
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 166