Business, tax & accountancy podcasts
Before everyone bunks off for the Jubilee weekend, I’m curious to know how many AccountingWEB members spend their spare time listening to work-related podcasts.
Which ones do you listen to, and what do you like about them? And what subjects that aren’t currently covered well would appeal to you?
The reason I’m asking is because we’re planning to put together some podcasts ourselves and want to get an idea of the level of demand, what what formats and approaches work best.
As part of this exercise, I also want to put together a catalogue of recommended podcasts - so the more recommendations we get from community members, the better!
Here are some of the more interesting ones I’ve found so far. Let us know of any others that you like!
- BBC Bottomline with Evan Davis The Today presenter used to be the BBC’s economics editor, and fronts this useful compilation of panel discussion-based presentations. The quality is as you would expect from the BBC, and while the focus tends to be a little corporate, there’s a good supply and variety of general business topics to choose from. The Moneybox archive with Paul Lewis is also recommended for its tax and pensions coverage.
- ACCA members podcasts There’s a sizeable archive tucked away on the ACCA website, many of which go back a few years. But the CPD lectures page is worth monitoring for recent updates. The podcasts are just audio captures from normal lectures, but may cover topics of interest to you. There’s also a small selection of 15min student podcasts from October 2010.
- ICAEW ethics podcasts Another institute offering a patchy podcast selection. But the ethics podcast series features good production values. While slightly patronising in tone, they range across some important and sensitive topics. MP3s need to be downloaded rather than streamed.
- CIOT podcasts with John Whiting Not only does the institute’s technical doyen know his stuff, he’s got a clear, BBC-endorsed voice and a soothing delivery style that takes some of the stress out of trying to understand tax. But untangling the nation’s fiendishly complex tax system may have distracted him. The last podcast was recorded shortly after the budget in March 2012.
- Tax Justice Network's TaxCast Another seasoned radio performer, Richard Murphy weighs in as a regular contributor to these monthly 15-minute summaries of developments surrounding tax evasion, tax avoidance and the shadow banking system. A different kettle of fish to many of the more technically oriented podcasts, but worth your attention for the political background to current tax debates.
- Accountancy Ireland podcast Fronted by radio presenter Dusty Rhodes, this long-running series is very slick, but its mainstream approach means that the focus is more personality interviews than relevant technical and issues for listeners outside Ireland.
- IASB financial reporting podcasts Dry-as-dust recaps from board meetings where they discuss the definitions and internal workings of proposed international financial reporting standards (IFRS). Intended more for specialists, but very useful if you’d like to get explanations from the horse’s mouth.
That's only a start - let us know the podcasts you think are essential listening for AccountingWEB members.
- LIVE chat, starting now 409 2
- Late Registration for VAT 397 12
- Follower cases 527 1
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 353 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 129 3
- TheTax Donut 1,100 1
- Can S455 tax repaid 79 2
- PAYE coding out 72 1
- VAT avoidance? 77 1
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 249 6
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 689 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 652 22
- How to explain this to someone 355 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 154 2
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 63 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 698 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 290 4
- Old CGT loss 347 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 319 2
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 175 6
- Hive up 452
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 417
- corporate hierarchy 406
- Advice - 229
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 202
- Amortisation of Goodwill 195
- WWOOFers 183
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 183
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 167
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 165