Business, tax & accountancy podcasts
Before everyone bunks off for the Jubilee weekend, I’m curious to know how many AccountingWEB members spend their spare time listening to work-related podcasts.
Which ones do you listen to, and what do you like about them? And what subjects that aren’t currently covered well would appeal to you?
The reason I’m asking is because we’re planning to put together some podcasts ourselves and want to get an idea of the level of demand, what what formats and approaches work best.
As part of this exercise, I also want to put together a catalogue of recommended podcasts - so the more recommendations we get from community members, the better!
Here are some of the more interesting ones I’ve found so far. Let us know of any others that you like!
- BBC Bottomline with Evan Davis The Today presenter used to be the BBC’s economics editor, and fronts this useful compilation of panel discussion-based presentations. The quality is as you would expect from the BBC, and while the focus tends to be a little corporate, there’s a good supply and variety of general business topics to choose from. The Moneybox archive with Paul Lewis is also recommended for its tax and pensions coverage.
- ACCA members podcasts There’s a sizeable archive tucked away on the ACCA website, many of which go back a few years. But the CPD lectures page is worth monitoring for recent updates. The podcasts are just audio captures from normal lectures, but may cover topics of interest to you. There’s also a small selection of 15min student podcasts from October 2010.
- ICAEW ethics podcasts Another institute offering a patchy podcast selection. But the ethics podcast series features good production values. While slightly patronising in tone, they range across some important and sensitive topics. MP3s need to be downloaded rather than streamed.
- CIOT podcasts with John Whiting Not only does the institute’s technical doyen know his stuff, he’s got a clear, BBC-endorsed voice and a soothing delivery style that takes some of the stress out of trying to understand tax. But untangling the nation’s fiendishly complex tax system may have distracted him. The last podcast was recorded shortly after the budget in March 2012.
- Tax Justice Network's TaxCast Another seasoned radio performer, Richard Murphy weighs in as a regular contributor to these monthly 15-minute summaries of developments surrounding tax evasion, tax avoidance and the shadow banking system. A different kettle of fish to many of the more technically oriented podcasts, but worth your attention for the political background to current tax debates.
- Accountancy Ireland podcast Fronted by radio presenter Dusty Rhodes, this long-running series is very slick, but its mainstream approach means that the focus is more personality interviews than relevant technical and issues for listeners outside Ireland.
- IASB financial reporting podcasts Dry-as-dust recaps from board meetings where they discuss the definitions and internal workings of proposed international financial reporting standards (IFRS). Intended more for specialists, but very useful if you’d like to get explanations from the horse’s mouth.
That's only a start - let us know the podcasts you think are essential listening for AccountingWEB members.
- What does it mean?? 339 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 285 13
- VAT on motor expenses 890 32
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 81 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 63 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,705 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,300 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 93 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 138 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 160 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 191 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 156 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 743 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 387 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 207 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 330 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 114 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 394 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 94 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 327 15
- Skandia using wrong address 1,548
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 471
- NOVA 328
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 232
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 219
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Management expenses for investment company 207
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 203
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 192