Business, tax & accountancy podcasts
Before everyone bunks off for the Jubilee weekend, I’m curious to know how many AccountingWEB members spend their spare time listening to work-related podcasts.
Which ones do you listen to, and what do you like about them? And what subjects that aren’t currently covered well would appeal to you?
The reason I’m asking is because we’re planning to put together some podcasts ourselves and want to get an idea of the level of demand, what what formats and approaches work best.
As part of this exercise, I also want to put together a catalogue of recommended podcasts - so the more recommendations we get from community members, the better!
Here are some of the more interesting ones I’ve found so far. Let us know of any others that you like!
- BBC Bottomline with Evan Davis The Today presenter used to be the BBC’s economics editor, and fronts this useful compilation of panel discussion-based presentations. The quality is as you would expect from the BBC, and while the focus tends to be a little corporate, there’s a good supply and variety of general business topics to choose from. The Moneybox archive with Paul Lewis is also recommended for its tax and pensions coverage.
- ACCA members podcasts There’s a sizeable archive tucked away on the ACCA website, many of which go back a few years. But the CPD lectures page is worth monitoring for recent updates. The podcasts are just audio captures from normal lectures, but may cover topics of interest to you. There’s also a small selection of 15min student podcasts from October 2010.
- ICAEW ethics podcasts Another institute offering a patchy podcast selection. But the ethics podcast series features good production values. While slightly patronising in tone, they range across some important and sensitive topics. MP3s need to be downloaded rather than streamed.
- CIOT podcasts with John Whiting Not only does the institute’s technical doyen know his stuff, he’s got a clear, BBC-endorsed voice and a soothing delivery style that takes some of the stress out of trying to understand tax. But untangling the nation’s fiendishly complex tax system may have distracted him. The last podcast was recorded shortly after the budget in March 2012.
- Tax Justice Network's TaxCast Another seasoned radio performer, Richard Murphy weighs in as a regular contributor to these monthly 15-minute summaries of developments surrounding tax evasion, tax avoidance and the shadow banking system. A different kettle of fish to many of the more technically oriented podcasts, but worth your attention for the political background to current tax debates.
- Accountancy Ireland podcast Fronted by radio presenter Dusty Rhodes, this long-running series is very slick, but its mainstream approach means that the focus is more personality interviews than relevant technical and issues for listeners outside Ireland.
- IASB financial reporting podcasts Dry-as-dust recaps from board meetings where they discuss the definitions and internal workings of proposed international financial reporting standards (IFRS). Intended more for specialists, but very useful if you’d like to get explanations from the horse’s mouth.
That's only a start - let us know the podcasts you think are essential listening for AccountingWEB members.
- When to top-up pensions? 97 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 137 3
- Support / ticketing software 308 11
- Withdrawal of a quote 270 6
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 571 14
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 290 3
- Imported goods and VAT 103 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 419 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 568 11
- Stamp Duty 145 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,828 22
- Company Number 10000000 964 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 354 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 194 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 438 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,823 29
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 434 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 212 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 333 5
- Best software for small practice? 838 24
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 793
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 282
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 214
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 210
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 207
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187