Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 113 2
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 402 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 135 3
- Registered Office 158 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,487 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 316 5
- Partnership Registration 117 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 911 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 120 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 693 12
- Audit Required 1,187 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 313 9
- Residential Management Companies 98 2
- Value pricing 2,862 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 403 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 399 11
- Payroll software for Mac 126 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 125 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 219 5
- CIS and Close Company 210 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 947
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 661
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 405
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 335
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 263
- Paye procedures for CVA 252
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 201
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 194
- Pension Fixed Protection 190