Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- R&D tax claim 208 5
- Gift to employee 346 11
- Tax Allowance on University Course 36 1
- Transfer of a business 93 1
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 422 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,098 22
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 75 3
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 396 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 99 2
- Sage Import Data 288 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 235 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 78 2
- Best time software for small practice? 197 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 308 13
- private to company car? 355 9
- Which address 996 11
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 98 1
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 257 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 954 15
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 259 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 471
- CTA study material 451
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 324
- Pre incorp expenses 302
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 260
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 248
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 150
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 134
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 130