Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 22 2
- Deduction from Salary 731 21
- Company struck off 198 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,391 53
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 210 2
- Do I need a smartphone? 212 4
- Opening Balances 275 6
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 141 2
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 266 6
- Employment Allowance 400 7
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 359 12
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 480 9
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 362 9
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 281 1
- West Bromich Albion 359 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,913 61
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 438 10
- 27,000 Really? 1,265 38
- Legal title not in the company name 829 23
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 637 7
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 648
- Cancelled 402
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 347
- How not to compose an email 320
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 314
- Probiz 309
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 290
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 226
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 203