Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 193 9
- Moneysoft - technical query 255 7
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,213 50
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 118 3
- VAT Reverse Charge Accounting 31 2
- System selection 28 1
- New Client - incorrect accounts filed 57 2
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,205 20
- Non Resident Landlord Tax 84 2
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 149 4
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 184 3
- Manufacturing A/c - Acc. depn 54 2
- VAT REGISTATIONS 143 3
- New Company Director PAYE Question 815 22
- Class 4 Losses 155 3
- Taking drawings in a partnership 74 1
- Issue shares to shareholders 71 3
- Education - Pre made assembly! 115 1
- Remove Extinguished Charge 124 1
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 381 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 345
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 282
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 255
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 253
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 243
- Electric Car 198
- S222 Charge 186
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 177
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 176
- Freelance Accounting link 165