Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- Instant CPD offer 263 4
- Cash basis 486 13
- Income from rent charged to business 72 2
- payroll software 355 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 424 5
- Statutory sick pay 286 4
- Dividend in specie 357 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 212 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 169 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 141 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 267 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 292 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 158 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 362 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,850 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 327 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 246 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 100 1
- Investor exit 194 3
- Partially exempt? 381 10
- Skandia using wrong address 565
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 302
- Employee rewards 286
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 243
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 223
- Etax Australian 184
- LLP in Construction Industry 149
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 129
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 129