Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- Share transfer question 259 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 397 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 187 5
- New Employers Helpline 119 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 212 5
- Overlap relief 715 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,275 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 177 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 180 4
- VAT Query 170 2
- Sacked my first client 639 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 408 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 216 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,262 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 618 11
- Trades and deadlines 138 3
- How to pay national insurance 647 18
- New Website Look 1,075 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 266 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 228 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 426
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 419
- WIP Software 286
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 199
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 197
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 186