Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 145 7
- Where has Portia gone? 4,998 108
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 26 1
- Overlap profit 285 6
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 301 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,053 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 93 1
- Payments on account 155 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 45 1
- What do your junior staff do? 504 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 627 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 393 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 526 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 121 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,922 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 329 3
- On the high seas 104 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 142 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 855 34
- Payroll question 151 2
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 849
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 444
- Sanzar 338
- How do you do it 335
- Digital marketing focus group 310
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 291
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 206
- Fit for purpose 200
- new investor structure 196
- VAT Registration 178