Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 70 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 163 2
- Real names 463 18
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 144 6
- Tax relief on licence costs 103 1
- Who owns the data 185 3
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 132 5
- Sole Trader Fees 94 1
- Director hired as an individual 27 1
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 60 1
- Loan interest rental property 182 5
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 108 4
- Theatre as charitable company 33 1
- Peer to Peer lending 117 5
- What's the plural? 661 14
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 94 1
- Well well well 241 2
- Capital Gains Tax 109 3
- Dividend payment date 1,847 32
- Use of aliases 702 19
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 568
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 429
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 331
- IFA incorporation 306
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 298
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 284
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 248
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 234
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 226
- Sorry ignore me 218