Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- Why should I retain membership? 2,656 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 164 3
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 319 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 119 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,250 12
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 382 5
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,452 18
- Vat 240 4
- CT/CIS offset 111 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 162 4
- Trade name 164 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 127 1
- New business - journal entries 308 20
- B2B vat in the EU 104 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 307 18
- VAT on deposits 202 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 124 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 400 12
- option to tax 202 1
- Share of profits from building society 98 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 776
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 705
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 384
- Social investment tax relief 203
- Digita Hosted Software 198
- Call Centre Data Costs 190
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 156
- Travel costs and contractors 149
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 142
- Certificates of tax deposit 135