Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- Outsourcing Payroll 69 1
- sage 96 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 151 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,045 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 202 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 112 1
- FBI2 197 3
- Double entry 161 4
- Companies House 135 3
- Small house in garden 142 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 133 2
- Clients 917 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 285 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 142 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 270 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 310 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 128 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 517 11
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 169 3
- SAGE winforecast 251 1
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 537
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 467
- EPS and CIS deductions 327
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 310
- Construction CIS LLP Company 300
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 295
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 262
- Overdrawn director account 217
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 204
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 199