Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- Repayment of Share Capital 38 1
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 382 9
- Travel expenses for director - flight 50 1
- Self employed care worker 509 12
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 185 1
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 195 1
- Auto enrolment 433 8
- Audacity 934 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 387 7
- Late registration for MOSS 244 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 269 5
- Client right to working papers 352 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 545 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 359 4
- Professional Clearance 1,058 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 279 5
- Illegal share transfer 453 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 174 2
- Company Strike off 1,847 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,158 34
- NHS finance professionals 533
- VAL231 408
- Mother and son property ownership 377
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 359
- Foreign Pension Contribution 331
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 306
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 285
- vat gross profit percentage margins 281
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 257
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 225