Buying a business - capital allow's and CGT?
Tax isn't my bag but I am trying my best to learn. There's one issue I haven't been able to get my head round.
Say somebody purchases an unincorporated business. The deal is £10,000 and this is for the general FFE of the business.
Does this transaction immediately have two implications with capital allowances and CGT?
I.e. the £10k is a business expense for qualifying capital assets. Thus, in year 1 the 10k can be claimed under AIA reducing profit.
Then, down the line, if the person sells the unincorporated businss they are liable to pay CGT on the proceeds less the original cost - ignoring any relevant reliefs.
The deemed cost would then be the original £10k the business was purchased for.
Is this right?
A massive thank you for any responses that are helpful and sorry to ask what must be for many a very basic question but as I said tax is not my strong suit at the moment.
- Company Accounts 408 8
- What is the role of an accountant? 281 8
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,291 22
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 63 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 269 7
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 31 2
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 183 4
- VAT on introducer fees 106 2
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 35 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 169 12
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 311 18
- Scottish but not UK 266 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 254 9
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 279 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,152 362
- CIS 335 11
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 110 5
- Sole Trade - Losses B/Fwd 281 14
- Construction Industry Scheme Age Limit 107 3
- P11D Query 116 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 427
- National Insurance 326
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 319
- Non Resident 250
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 239
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 222
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154