CA for first year of trading, losses and carryback/fwd
As a Sole trader (who is also employed under PAYE and in need of an accountant!), built up contacts, bought equipment and set up websites before trading in 2011/2012.
SE Business is a mixture of consultancy, training and multi-media work including photography, video, designing websites and publishing in technical and national journals.
Under self employment clients paid £1500 in 2011/2012.
Expenses such as utilities, mileage allowance only for business miles (not commuting to employee workplace) understood.
Given the large investment made in audio/photographic equipment, software, and relatively small income return, what can be taken as AIA/FYA - a significant amount of equipment was bought before April 2011 and some in that tax year. The latter amounted to approximately £3000 whilst the former (including office furniture) is around £12500.
Can any other start up costs like website hosting fees, advertising costs from previous years be included?
Once the loss is calculated what is better -
1. claim £1500 for 2011/2012 and carry fwd the remainder at WDA 18%
2.claim all losses for that TY - doesn't this affect PA?
3. claim £1500 for TY and remainder offset against PAYE income of previous year?
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 113 2
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 402 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 135 3
- Registered Office 158 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,488 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 316 5
- Partnership Registration 117 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 912 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 120 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 693 12
- Audit Required 1,189 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 313 9
- Residential Management Companies 98 2
- Value pricing 2,862 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 403 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 400 11
- Payroll software for Mac 126 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 125 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 219 5
- CIS and Close Company 210 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 947
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 662
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 407
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 335
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 263
- Paye procedures for CVA 252
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 201
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 194
- Pension Fixed Protection 190