CA for first year of trading, losses and carryback/fwd
As a Sole trader (who is also employed under PAYE and in need of an accountant!), built up contacts, bought equipment and set up websites before trading in 2011/2012.
SE Business is a mixture of consultancy, training and multi-media work including photography, video, designing websites and publishing in technical and national journals.
Under self employment clients paid £1500 in 2011/2012.
Expenses such as utilities, mileage allowance only for business miles (not commuting to employee workplace) understood.
Given the large investment made in audio/photographic equipment, software, and relatively small income return, what can be taken as AIA/FYA - a significant amount of equipment was bought before April 2011 and some in that tax year. The latter amounted to approximately £3000 whilst the former (including office furniture) is around £12500.
Can any other start up costs like website hosting fees, advertising costs from previous years be included?
Once the loss is calculated what is better -
1. claim £1500 for 2011/2012 and carry fwd the remainder at WDA 18%
2.claim all losses for that TY - doesn't this affect PA?
3. claim £1500 for TY and remainder offset against PAYE income of previous year?
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 354 7
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,852 53
- What's the best software for this? 414 4
- Email encryption 1,401 15
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,199 22
- Next Move 739 21
- Zoho Books 169 1
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 253 3
- Self-assessment statistics 2,496 59
- Transmission of ISA 145 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 222 2
- Not renewing AAT 695 9
- CGT of shares gifted 389 6
- New dividend taxation 541 3
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 190 1
- Company car v company allowance 316 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 445 9
- Company formation and bank account 470 9
- Owning overseas property 374 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 295 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 673
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 412
- Property letting & CAs 406
- 2015 tax year end 401
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 399
- FCA regulated company in a small group 349
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 324
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 244
- Costly Accounting Software contract 232
- DTA tie-breaker issue 221