CA for first year of trading, losses and carryback/fwd
As a Sole trader (who is also employed under PAYE and in need of an accountant!), built up contacts, bought equipment and set up websites before trading in 2011/2012.
SE Business is a mixture of consultancy, training and multi-media work including photography, video, designing websites and publishing in technical and national journals.
Under self employment clients paid £1500 in 2011/2012.
Expenses such as utilities, mileage allowance only for business miles (not commuting to employee workplace) understood.
Given the large investment made in audio/photographic equipment, software, and relatively small income return, what can be taken as AIA/FYA - a significant amount of equipment was bought before April 2011 and some in that tax year. The latter amounted to approximately £3000 whilst the former (including office furniture) is around £12500.
Can any other start up costs like website hosting fees, advertising costs from previous years be included?
Once the loss is calculated what is better -
1. claim £1500 for 2011/2012 and carry fwd the remainder at WDA 18%
2.claim all losses for that TY - doesn't this affect PA?
3. claim £1500 for TY and remainder offset against PAYE income of previous year?
- Knuckle down one week to go! 35 1
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 90 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 632 28
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 354 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 604 11
- calculate mortgage interest 173 1
- Auto enrolment 1,651 27
- AIA 229 5
- Depreciation 211 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 167 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 243 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 200 3
- client can't/won't pay 493 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 234 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 265 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 281 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,199 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 296 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 242 5
- HMRC SA software error? 220 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 799
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 466
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 458
- Latest phishing scam 296
- Entrepreneurs' relief 284
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 259
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 245