Calculation of payable R&D tax credit
I have recently submitted an R&D tax credit claim to HMRC and they have paid less than expected. Here is my calculation...
For accounting period to 31st December 2011 Ltd Co qualifying expenditure pre 1 April 2011 was £16,000 post 75% enhancement = £28,000 R&D deduction
For accounting period to 31st December 2011 Ltd Co qualifying expenditure post 1 April 2011 was £11,000 post 100% enhancement = £22,000 R&D deduction
Taxable loss for the period (before R&D relief) were (£46,000).
I calculate the payable tax credit as...
Adjusted loss for period = (46,000) + (28,000) R&D to April 1st = (74,000)*14% = £10,360
R&D post 1st April = (22,000)*12.5% = £2,750
Total tax credit payable (assuming sufficient PAYE & NI) = (10,360+2,750) = 13,110
My calculation is based on CIRD90500 - R&D tax relief.
HMRC have adjusted my workings to calculate the payable tax credit to 1st April = 28,000*14% =£3,920 (excluding the effect of the adjusted loss).
Can someone please advise who is right?
Thanks in advance
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 347 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,129 24
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 86 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 238 4
- I forgiven loan an Output? 135 2
- V T Software 111 2
- Thinning income 325 3
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 103 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 324 4
- tax credits 222 4
- Past rental expenses 93 1
- What do do about VAT? 526 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 263 5
- Not a question but made my day 1,129 22
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 184 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 202 4
- Audacity 1,316 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 691 8
- partnership first tax return 150 1
- Payroll got out of synch 383 11
- NHS finance professionals 592
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 389
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 323
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 303
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 271
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 224
- IFA income recognition & reporting 198
- Incorporating doctors 192