Calculation of payable R&D tax credit
I have recently submitted an R&D tax credit claim to HMRC and they have paid less than expected. Here is my calculation...
For accounting period to 31st December 2011 Ltd Co qualifying expenditure pre 1 April 2011 was £16,000 post 75% enhancement = £28,000 R&D deduction
For accounting period to 31st December 2011 Ltd Co qualifying expenditure post 1 April 2011 was £11,000 post 100% enhancement = £22,000 R&D deduction
Taxable loss for the period (before R&D relief) were (£46,000).
I calculate the payable tax credit as...
Adjusted loss for period = (46,000) + (28,000) R&D to April 1st = (74,000)*14% = £10,360
R&D post 1st April = (22,000)*12.5% = £2,750
Total tax credit payable (assuming sufficient PAYE & NI) = (10,360+2,750) = 13,110
My calculation is based on CIRD90500 - R&D tax relief.
HMRC have adjusted my workings to calculate the payable tax credit to 1st April = 28,000*14% =£3,920 (excluding the effect of the adjusted loss).
Can someone please advise who is right?
Thanks in advance
- Company formation and bank account 194 7
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 628 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,519 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 481 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 386 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 169 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 390 8
- OneNote is fantastic 461 11
- VAT Direct Debit 350 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 434 8
- Self Assessment Software 680 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 431 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,348 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 238 11
- Owning overseas property 225 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 334 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 279 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 687 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,145 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 648
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 398
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Property letting & CAs 386
- 2015 tax year end 381
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 379
- FCA regulated company in a small group 338
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 255
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 235
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 229