Can a charity reclaim past input vat on lease of building?
Client is a recently registered charity. It was incorporated on 30/9/2007 but only became a charity in October 2012. HMRC has written to them saying that they would be recognised as a charity with effect from 30/9/2007.
The charity leases a building for its charitable activities and the landlord has been charging vat on the rentals. Had it been a charity since incorporation then it would have been exempt from Vat on rents.
Is there scope under the relevant rules to reclaim the vat paid on rentals, in light of HMRC's back dating the charity status to when the company was incorporated?
The Charity is not vat registered.
Thanks for advice
- Growing pains 348 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 225 14
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 537 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 37 1
- Consequential loss claim 102 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 182 5
- Vat threshold issues 54 1
- ATT Annual Return Problems 112 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 98 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 326 5
- private to company car? 167 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 942 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 576 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 131 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 210 1
- Partner with an IVA 162 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 578 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 412 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 299 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 229 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 455
- CTA study material 415
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 300
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 279
- Pre incorp expenses 270
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 240
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 231
- Slight twist on employment related securities 207
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 180
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 176