Can a charity reclaim past input vat on lease of building?
Client is a recently registered charity. It was incorporated on 30/9/2007 but only became a charity in October 2012. HMRC has written to them saying that they would be recognised as a charity with effect from 30/9/2007.
The charity leases a building for its charitable activities and the landlord has been charging vat on the rentals. Had it been a charity since incorporation then it would have been exempt from Vat on rents.
Is there scope under the relevant rules to reclaim the vat paid on rentals, in light of HMRC's back dating the charity status to when the company was incorporated?
The Charity is not vat registered.
Thanks for advice
- Accounting jobs in the UK 24 1
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 88 3
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 495 15
- pre letting expenses 143 2
- Expat working back in UK 81 3
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 175 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 76 1
- Charge out rates in London? 123 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 394 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 270 6
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 93 3
- change of paye software 506 13
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 283 5
- Which software for practice books? 463 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 237 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 528 2
- share capital calculation 266 14
- Dispensation pointless ? 207 3
- Renting property to yourself 457 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,978 51
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 732
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 475
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 289
- How to format a stock book 251
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 202
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 185
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 163