Can a charity reclaim past input vat on lease of building?
Client is a recently registered charity. It was incorporated on 30/9/2007 but only became a charity in October 2012. HMRC has written to them saying that they would be recognised as a charity with effect from 30/9/2007.
The charity leases a building for its charitable activities and the landlord has been charging vat on the rentals. Had it been a charity since incorporation then it would have been exempt from Vat on rents.
Is there scope under the relevant rules to reclaim the vat paid on rentals, in light of HMRC's back dating the charity status to when the company was incorporated?
The Charity is not vat registered.
Thanks for advice
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 193 6
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 725 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 806 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 470 10
- Real time 194 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 402 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 257 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 234 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 222 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 604 15
- When to top-up pensions? 187 2
- Support / ticketing software 334 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 333 3
- Imported goods and VAT 148 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 441 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 595 11
- Stamp Duty 189 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,867 22
- Company Number 10000000 999 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 372 5
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 471
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 290
- DTA tie-breaker issue 281
- CGT for NOn UK residents 245
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 220
- Apprenticeship Levy 218
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 211
- Just checking re PSA 197
- Capital Gains personal representatives 191
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 177