Can a charity reclaim past input vat on lease of building?
Client is a recently registered charity. It was incorporated on 30/9/2007 but only became a charity in October 2012. HMRC has written to them saying that they would be recognised as a charity with effect from 30/9/2007.
The charity leases a building for its charitable activities and the landlord has been charging vat on the rentals. Had it been a charity since incorporation then it would have been exempt from Vat on rents.
Is there scope under the relevant rules to reclaim the vat paid on rentals, in light of HMRC's back dating the charity status to when the company was incorporated?
The Charity is not vat registered.
Thanks for advice
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 920 19
- VAT commercial property TOGC 80 2
- Self-employed 88 3
- Audacity 1,395 24
- minority interest discount 181 6
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 406 11
- Seeking advice: Need some help with Company Accounts 601 9
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 354 4
- Microsoft One Drive 492 17
- Not a question but made my day 1,237 24
- Software Sales 127 2
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 354 10
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 339 5
- vat gross margins 136 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,607 13
- A rant - Debt Management units vs PAYE office response times 191 1
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 212 4
- On to a loser here? 1,198 4
- Client right to working papers 1,377 9
- 2020 Annual Conference 147 1
- NHS finance professionals 604
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 391
- Foreign Pension Contribution 366
- vat gross profit percentage margins 338
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 332
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 310
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 275
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 263
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 238
- IFA income recognition & reporting 202