Can a charity reclaim past input vat on lease of building?
Client is a recently registered charity. It was incorporated on 30/9/2007 but only became a charity in October 2012. HMRC has written to them saying that they would be recognised as a charity with effect from 30/9/2007.
The charity leases a building for its charitable activities and the landlord has been charging vat on the rentals. Had it been a charity since incorporation then it would have been exempt from Vat on rents.
Is there scope under the relevant rules to reclaim the vat paid on rentals, in light of HMRC's back dating the charity status to when the company was incorporated?
The Charity is not vat registered.
Thanks for advice
- What do you all do in your spare time? 832 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 245 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 238 4
- Closing my business down 53 3
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 190 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 73 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 578 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,238 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,461 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 181 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 85 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 283 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 80 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,088 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 404 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 146 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 214 3
- FPS or EPS 162 2
- Continuity of Practice 214 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 141 2
- Moving away from CCH software 952
- QROP pension input amounts 439
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 381
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 356
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 256
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 227
- Construction CIS LLP Company 211
- EPS and CIS deductions 198