Can a charity reclaim past input vat on lease of building?
Client is a recently registered charity. It was incorporated on 30/9/2007 but only became a charity in October 2012. HMRC has written to them saying that they would be recognised as a charity with effect from 30/9/2007.
The charity leases a building for its charitable activities and the landlord has been charging vat on the rentals. Had it been a charity since incorporation then it would have been exempt from Vat on rents.
Is there scope under the relevant rules to reclaim the vat paid on rentals, in light of HMRC's back dating the charity status to when the company was incorporated?
The Charity is not vat registered.
Thanks for advice
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,146 52
- Window Comb Binder Cover 148 3
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 82 1
- client can't/won't pay 391 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 146 6
- AIA 143 4
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 243 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 255 9
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 282 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,179 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 245 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 192 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 545 26
- HMRC SA software error? 148 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 168 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 266 14
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 202 6
- Treatment of income for sole trader 171 2
- wave software 132 1
- Freelance software consultant 340 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 786
- Copy Wanted 500
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 456
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 453
- Latest phishing scam 287
- Entrepreneurs' relief 272
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 269
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 250
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 240
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 237