can client get benefit of CGT at 10% on "income"?
My doctor client has been approached by another firm of accountants with a proposal that the client incorporates the medical private practice.
Facts: NHS salary £90k, sole trader private practice profits £200k. IR35 would not apply if incorporated and the client is unmarried.
Proposal: put private practice into ltd co. Live off NHS salary plus say £50k of dividends in order to fund large mortgage on own home. Leave reserves to accumulate over a number of years until retained profits reach say £750k. Then pay a liquidator say £5k to wind up the company, distribute net assets, pay CGT at 10% on the £750k.
Being a cautious soul, I pointed out some possible problems, if only that in say 5-6 years time, the tax rules on which the plan is based may have been changed.
However, assuming no change in tax law – or HMRC’s interpretation of it! – do you think it would work as proposed?
Thanks in advance.
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 581 24
- VAT on exports to EU 83 2
- 5th April 290 10
- Company buy back of shares from directors 204 11
- Please tell me what to do!! 344 8
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,989 33
- Cash basis 139 5
- Cash basis 799 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 281 2
- Investor exit 253 4
- client threatening legal action 2,316 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 139 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 243 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 347 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,592 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 337 9
- Rental income 168 2
- s455 Directors loan 223 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 78 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,196 8
- Skandia using wrong address 612
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 327
- Employee rewards 310
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 275
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 239
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 153
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 141
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 139