can client get benefit of CGT at 10% on "income"?
My doctor client has been approached by another firm of accountants with a proposal that the client incorporates the medical private practice.
Facts: NHS salary £90k, sole trader private practice profits £200k. IR35 would not apply if incorporated and the client is unmarried.
Proposal: put private practice into ltd co. Live off NHS salary plus say £50k of dividends in order to fund large mortgage on own home. Leave reserves to accumulate over a number of years until retained profits reach say £750k. Then pay a liquidator say £5k to wind up the company, distribute net assets, pay CGT at 10% on the £750k.
Being a cautious soul, I pointed out some possible problems, if only that in say 5-6 years time, the tax rules on which the plan is based may have been changed.
However, assuming no change in tax law – or HMRC’s interpretation of it! – do you think it would work as proposed?
Thanks in advance.
- Residents Association Corp Tax 276 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 337 15
- Your fondest calculator memories 996 40
- Sale of an investment between group companies 129 5
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 360 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 949 21
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,936 27
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 145 5
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 303 1
- Unquoted company valuation multiples 49 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 255 6
- private to company car? 298 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 865 13
- Question re Career choice... 1,408 9
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 232 7
- Which address 845 10
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 216 6
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 342 6
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 357 8
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 474 13
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 462
- CTA study material 443
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 313
- Pre incorp expenses 292
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 254
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 244
- Slight twist on employment related securities 221
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 206
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 194
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 134