can client get benefit of CGT at 10% on "income"?
My doctor client has been approached by another firm of accountants with a proposal that the client incorporates the medical private practice.
Facts: NHS salary £90k, sole trader private practice profits £200k. IR35 would not apply if incorporated and the client is unmarried.
Proposal: put private practice into ltd co. Live off NHS salary plus say £50k of dividends in order to fund large mortgage on own home. Leave reserves to accumulate over a number of years until retained profits reach say £750k. Then pay a liquidator say £5k to wind up the company, distribute net assets, pay CGT at 10% on the £750k.
Being a cautious soul, I pointed out some possible problems, if only that in say 5-6 years time, the tax rules on which the plan is based may have been changed.
However, assuming no change in tax law – or HMRC’s interpretation of it! – do you think it would work as proposed?
Thanks in advance.
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 811 16
- Cloud accounting package 140 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,001 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 487 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 271 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 167 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 261 6
- Next Move 357 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 399 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 206 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 249 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 342 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 708 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 294 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 180 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,242 34
- Casual Driver 269 4
- Self Assessment Software 634 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 346 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,268 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 632
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Property letting & CAs 377
- 2015 tax year end 373
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 232
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 225
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 219