can client get benefit of CGT at 10% on "income"?
My doctor client has been approached by another firm of accountants with a proposal that the client incorporates the medical private practice.
Facts: NHS salary £90k, sole trader private practice profits £200k. IR35 would not apply if incorporated and the client is unmarried.
Proposal: put private practice into ltd co. Live off NHS salary plus say £50k of dividends in order to fund large mortgage on own home. Leave reserves to accumulate over a number of years until retained profits reach say £750k. Then pay a liquidator say £5k to wind up the company, distribute net assets, pay CGT at 10% on the £750k.
Being a cautious soul, I pointed out some possible problems, if only that in say 5-6 years time, the tax rules on which the plan is based may have been changed.
However, assuming no change in tax law – or HMRC’s interpretation of it! – do you think it would work as proposed?
Thanks in advance.
- Free accounts system for small business? 372 7
- VAT on converting Commercial property to residential 60 3
- It gets worse ! 349 2
- PCTR for Audit Qualification 90 1
- Building premises bought on 99 year lease 78 1
- Client refusing to change basis period 189 6
- Companies House Authentication code 205 9
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,983 66
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 176 2
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 464 8
- Payroll Software Recommendations 310 10
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 344 15
- saturday staff 409 4
- Sports Club - Option to tax 55 1
- Highlighting a line on cell click 63 4
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,450 42
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 527 12
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 651 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 352 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 267 3
- Xtuple 587
- Qtac payroll for bureau 412
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 357
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 230
- Tax on damages received 211
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 174
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 166
- PTP Software 158
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 142
- Software for Belgium Company 141