can client get benefit of CGT at 10% on "income"?
My doctor client has been approached by another firm of accountants with a proposal that the client incorporates the medical private practice.
Facts: NHS salary £90k, sole trader private practice profits £200k. IR35 would not apply if incorporated and the client is unmarried.
Proposal: put private practice into ltd co. Live off NHS salary plus say £50k of dividends in order to fund large mortgage on own home. Leave reserves to accumulate over a number of years until retained profits reach say £750k. Then pay a liquidator say £5k to wind up the company, distribute net assets, pay CGT at 10% on the £750k.
Being a cautious soul, I pointed out some possible problems, if only that in say 5-6 years time, the tax rules on which the plan is based may have been changed.
However, assuming no change in tax law – or HMRC’s interpretation of it! – do you think it would work as proposed?
Thanks in advance.
- Share issue and transfer 36 2
- Old payroll 197 5
- Payroll got out of synch 252 8
- HMRC Debt collectors 224 4
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 150 5
- Accounts Package 511 13
- What do do about VAT? 105 2
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 176 5
- Special Puprose Vehicle (SPV) company 150 4
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,276 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 985 22
- Not a question but made my day 1,023 21
- VAT Caravan Residential Letting Income 106 1
- Exempt supplies and VAT registration 193 6
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 516 6
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,973 27
- Client right to working papers 1,060 6
- Annual Tax Summary 115 1
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 388 2
- VAT on property 213 2
- NHS finance professionals 586
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 387
- Foreign Pension Contribution 361
- vat gross profit percentage margins 325
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 318
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 302
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 261
- Thinning income 253
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 218
- IFA income recognition & reporting 194