can client get benefit of CGT at 10% on "income"?
My doctor client has been approached by another firm of accountants with a proposal that the client incorporates the medical private practice.
Facts: NHS salary £90k, sole trader private practice profits £200k. IR35 would not apply if incorporated and the client is unmarried.
Proposal: put private practice into ltd co. Live off NHS salary plus say £50k of dividends in order to fund large mortgage on own home. Leave reserves to accumulate over a number of years until retained profits reach say £750k. Then pay a liquidator say £5k to wind up the company, distribute net assets, pay CGT at 10% on the £750k.
Being a cautious soul, I pointed out some possible problems, if only that in say 5-6 years time, the tax rules on which the plan is based may have been changed.
However, assuming no change in tax law – or HMRC’s interpretation of it! – do you think it would work as proposed?
Thanks in advance.
- VAT flat rate scheme 176 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 252 8
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 233 4
- Client information from previous accountant 76 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 95 2
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 80 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 363 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 218 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 134 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,659 31
- PAYE NI 115 2
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 118 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 822 14
- How much to charge? 702 10
- break even point 1,007 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 180 5
- Accomodation and travel 206 1
- Unpaid Fee's 356 6
- Issue with a software supplier 242 4
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 317 5
- Possible Partnership? 514
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 497
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 469
- New Fangled Penalties 310
- Clubs and Taxable Income 260
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 258
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 251
- Loans to other companies 193
- Tasbook email configuration 186
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 170