can client get benefit of CGT at 10% on "income"?
My doctor client has been approached by another firm of accountants with a proposal that the client incorporates the medical private practice.
Facts: NHS salary £90k, sole trader private practice profits £200k. IR35 would not apply if incorporated and the client is unmarried.
Proposal: put private practice into ltd co. Live off NHS salary plus say £50k of dividends in order to fund large mortgage on own home. Leave reserves to accumulate over a number of years until retained profits reach say £750k. Then pay a liquidator say £5k to wind up the company, distribute net assets, pay CGT at 10% on the £750k.
Being a cautious soul, I pointed out some possible problems, if only that in say 5-6 years time, the tax rules on which the plan is based may have been changed.
However, assuming no change in tax law – or HMRC’s interpretation of it! – do you think it would work as proposed?
Thanks in advance.
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 172 4
- SA302 293 7
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 253 4
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 277 13
- Bringing money to Uk 254 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 265 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 194 4
- Go Cardless 339 9
- Hmrc software 230 3
- Mehjoo 273 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 119 1
- Hosted email exchange 176 5
- South African Government Pension 182 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 296 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 311 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 247 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 151 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 290 7
- New Email Extensions 208 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 326 2
- Xtuple 512
- Qtac payroll for bureau 351
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 295
- Industrial & Provident Societies 286
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 186
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 185
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 167
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 147