Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- Business only use of company car 223 6
- Dividend Tax Petition 307 4
- Buying a business premises in a pension 181 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 173 2
- Tax efficient vehicle 472 9
- Going through security 257 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 463 17
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 227 1
- Bank reconciliation 265 8
- Practice software 661 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 335 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 271 5
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 162 2
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 245 7
- Goodwill on incorporation 504 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 355 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 203 2
- Retail business software/accounting system 139 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 203 9
- Certificate of Tax Deposit and APN's 114 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 242
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 225
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 212
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 200
- Web site and client access area advice 182
- Expenses Software 179
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 169
- Any thoughts on Capium? 163
- CTA Material 162
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 160