Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- Completing RP1 form in re Redundancy /Insolvency 235 8
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 322 7
- More HMRC on gov.uk 314 7
- VAT in Sage 163 3
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 467 10
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 714 24
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 60 1
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 327 4
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 257 4
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,288 23
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 560 1
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 331 10
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 212 2
- Transition to FRS102 - goodwill 519 14
- Employed clients and expenses 848 16
- Goods Purchased for Rental 624 31
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 150 3
- Auto Enrolment set up 393 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 538 18
- Interflora florist 132 1
- NOVA 492
- Bonus Bonds 376
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 359
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 276
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 242
- Friendly Pensions 178
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 161
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 149
- Finance Lease 144
- Company Car Lease 140