Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 89 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 228 1
- will this work for IHT 250 2
- Best software for small practice? 633 20
- Paid too much !! 250 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,744 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 255 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 204 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 483 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 119 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 97 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 99 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 476 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 749 11
- Sports Sponsorship 149 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 267 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 213 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 252 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,328 14
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,274 21
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 767
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 454
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 275
- DTA tie-breaker issue 262
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 247
- CGT for NOn UK residents 222
- Apprenticeship Levy 202
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181
- Just checking re PSA 175