Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- Any Scottish members out there? 5,939 208
- Trademark Fun 106 5
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,462 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 131 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 161 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 638 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 182 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 157 1
- Recycle old study books 352 9
- Share for share exchange 141 3
- Wind turbines 136 1
- Looking for a qualified accountant 511 2
- Locum Doctor claiming costs for Home Office 185 2
- FL Memo - Any Good 406 7
- VAT claim 357 6
- How to reclaim input tax from mixed use redevelopment? 163 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 403 9
- State Pension 1,214 10
- Late Corporation tax return 357 7
- The iIns and outs of VAT 380 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,058
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 340
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 288
- National Insurance 242
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 223
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 221
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 206
- Payments on account coded out?? 201
- Non Resident 159
- Franchise income and costs 141