Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 554 5
- See you all on the other side 652 6
- 12Pay 389 2
- dividends 537 2
- R&D 295 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,148 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 428 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 376 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 344 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 527 5
- Seeking a tax case 614 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 473 4
- Companies house strike off 487 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 392 2
- Moving to the cloud 723 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 207 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 872 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 196 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,078 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 473 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 550
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 416
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 365
- IRIS and FRS 102 349
- Capitalising Finance Lease 314
- USA help 311
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 290
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 280
- Capital gains on rental property 257
- Marginal rates of tax 247