Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 854 32
- Use of home deduction 500 15
- Copy Wanted 668 3
- Tax Relief on Bridging Loan 35 1
- Non resident income. 239 12
- Company dividends 393 12
- Self Assessment University Superannuation Scheme 62 1
- 11pm and having a blonde moment 91 2
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 181 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 532 21
- Software 333 8
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 401 6
- SA late payment penalty 184 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 297 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 112 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 111 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 122 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 131 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,420 81
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 268 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 855
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 548
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 514
- Latest phishing scam 406
- Entrepreneurs' relief 375
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 336
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 319
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 302
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 214
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 190