Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- Sole trader - bank statements 298 14
- Giving a seminar 620 33
- Boffin of the Year 115 6
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 439 9
- PAYE versus Dividends 105 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 425 9
- equipment rental 60 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 365 16
- Non sequitur 139 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,186 63
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 569 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 119 3
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 259 9
- Am i Liable? 781 19
- Joint Filing Help 162 3
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 235 8
- audit for 50% associate? 88 2
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 101 5
- Write off of former director's loan 807 12
- HMRC Appeals 127 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,278
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 629
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 416
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 325
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 242
- Alphabet shares 212
- Agent fees to sell business 205
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 200
- Office recharges 161
- Tax position on lease extension 156