Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- first year company tax return for a limited company 181 5
- Real names 1,248 37
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 405 7
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 101 1
- Expenses Apps 157 2
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 170 4
- Quick Easy Quote 250 4
- What are options for non CA firm 1,795 29
- Solicitor accounts 65 1
- Unallocated client money 241 7
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 211 2
- change of office address 132 4
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 231 3
- Incorporation Relief 135 4
- Letting income or partnership income? 112 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 357 4
- Furniture Rental Business 103 2
- Client Death 558 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 200 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 361 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 606
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 485
- Sorry ignore me 382
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 281
- Cancelled 245
- Cancelled 219
- Bartercard 176
- C79 Discrepancy 172
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 163