Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 120 2
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 121 3
- Capital Gain? 513 14
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 208 5
- Sell business after leaving country 120 2
- How much to charge? 238 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 161 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 638 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 241 2
- break even point 593 18
- Simple consolidation question 113 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 390 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,000 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 405 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 205 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 285 5
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 171 4
- IHT Query 241 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 447 2
- BrightPay 697 22
- Possible Partnership? 466
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 442
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 429
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 233
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 228
- Clubs and Taxable Income 218
- New Fangled Penalties 216
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 212
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 184
- Loans to other companies 167