Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 401 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 133 2
- 12 Pay Problems 208 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 200 3
- Deduction from Salary 236 7
- Sole properietor 54 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 77 1
- Redudancy 36 1
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 44 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 464 13
- VAT - Recharge 76 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 345 4
- transitioning payroll 167 4
- Legal title not in the company name 194 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,605 59
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 162 3
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,752 30
- Car financed by employee 192 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 136 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 625 16
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 361
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 306
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 269
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 225
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 201
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 171