Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 898 43
- Tier One Tribunal 106 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 807 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 109 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 72 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 246 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 128 2
- Another transfer of property 124 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 209 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 104 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 565 11
- LEL and PAYE registration 98 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 169 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 180 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 557 14
- SA316s 222 3
- Swiching tax 545 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 534 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 395 11
- Start-up cost recognition 130 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 612
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 595
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 357
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 294
- Using the correct forms 268
- RTI - duplicate employee record 264
- SA penalty proposals 258
- Accelerated payment notices 238
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 235