Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 14 1
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 157 9
- What would you do in this situation? 118 6
- Rent a room when not living there 872 7
- Helping out a friend 162 7
- Accountancy work for Farmers 364 13
- Dealing with VAT on invoices received after VAT return submitted 206 3
- Lloyds bank ... 278 4
- Correct treatment when one company absorbs another 103 4
- Company Name - Number of Characters 182 5
- Tax Allowance on University Course 1,861 10
- Recharging VAT 114 5
- Benefit fraud 3,517 50
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 764 24
- cancellation of Engagement 525 13
- Bulk Invoicing 102 3
- Sole trader mix up 150 1
- Investment properties revaluation 211 9
- Banks and box ticking 119 2
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 92 2
- CTA study material 672
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 405
- Employment related securities question 257
- ATED Penalties 234
- AIM Stocks and IHT 231
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 187
- Trust for Employee 169
- Expat pension contributions? 165
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 131
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 116