Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- Self Assessment requirements for lady from Canada 94 1
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 100 2
- Boffin of the Year 337 12
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 176 4
- Non sequitur 280 3
- Pattern for CTA 255 6
- PAYE versus Dividends 184 4
- Employee or partner 54 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 193 5
- The Cotter Case 199 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 164 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 173 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 945 16
- Sole Trader business 157 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 159 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 149 1
- Giving a seminar 687 36
- Tax position on lease extension 182 1
- deleting customers on Sage 50 226 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 246 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,310
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 644
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 336
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 266
- Alphabet shares 224
- Agent fees to sell business 216
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 210
- Office recharges 171
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 157