Can a farm landlord claim AIA on of solar pv panels?
A landlord owns a farm which he lets out to his tenant. The landlord has installed solar pv panels on the farmhouse. Can the landlord claim AIA on the solar pv panels?
See www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin684.pdf page 3 discussing the cessation of ECAs on solar panels for which FiTs or RHIs are claimed:
"A further impact of this measure is on businesses claiming capital allowances in respect of expenditure on solar PV cells provided for use in a dwelling-house, hotel, office, retail shop or showroom that may not previously have fallen to be treated as special rate – these would suffer a slight cash flow disadvantage by the changes, if their annual spend on plant and machinery exceeded the AIA limit of £25,000, as the expenditure is written off over a longer period of time."
This seems clear - you can claim AIA.
But see the notes for boxes 31 to 34 for property income See www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa105-notes.pdf page UKPN10:
"you cannot claim capital allowances for plant or machinery (such as furniture and fixtures) for use in a dwelling house if you have a property business, unless it qualifies as a furnished holiday letting business."
This appears to rule out a claim.
So can AIA be claimed or not? Anyone got any thoughts?
- RTI Fees 286
- Where's our 10%? 263
- Driving sales growth 212
- Cost of converting property - who pays? 204
- CIS late registration 203
- EIS 200
- Accounting for gift vouchers - paid for and donated 192
- Break up basis accounting 187
- Accounts production software for business SSC 182
- Best structure 179
- High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge Error? 173
- iQor recovering HMRC debts again 152
- Mileage Allowance Payments - couple using the same car 137
- SEIS and DeMinimus Aid 133
- Integrate accounts software with infusionsoft 132
- Is commission on sales always vatable? 132
- Property does not qualify for FHL, what is allowable? 119
- Loan Note, PIK and Corresponding Adjustment 117
- Employers NIC holiday paper application form 112
- Child benefit 107