Can HMRC listen to your phone calls and look at itemised phone records?
My brother told me that HMRC can listen to phone calls and use the information to seek other evidence in the case of general tax evasion. He said HMRC went all the way to the House Of Lords trying to get permission to use the information as evidence in court or at tribunal, but were told no. He said that they were told they could benefit from the data/evidence in enquiry only, but had to be satisfied with using it to work out what further investigation was needed to get evidence that they could use in court. I thought he was being conspiracyish and that interception is reserved for serious crime investigations.
Up until this weekend I believed that HMRC could ask a taxpayer to produce their own itemised phone bills, if they made business calls from a mobile or land line, and only if the calls formed part of their tax return.
For itemised bills to be intercepted/applied for and recieved by HMRC/or for calls to be listened to I thought a person would need to be committing carousel fraud, gun smuggling, cigarette smuggling, I have googled quickly and found articles that say interception of phone calls, emails and post can be used by HMRC in the case of suspected crime. All evasion is a crime but is usually dealt with under a civil investigation. So where does the actual practise lie and is he right about any of it please?
I have not evaded any taxes myself. I have come across people that appear to and always tell them that if they are doing it, they should absolutely stop. It is my understanding that it is virtually impossible not to leave an auditable trail if you spend any unofficial cash. I am still not sure if that is true.
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,451 35
- Legal title not in the company name 245 10
- Dividend dates 546 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 105 3
- Sole properietor 144 4
- transitioning payroll 218 8
- dividend proposals 81 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 217 2
- Deduction from Salary 280 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 174 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,703 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 75 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 430 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 155 2
- 12 Pay Problems 246 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 242 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 87 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 480 13
- VAT - Recharge 94 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 282
- Probiz 271
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 229
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 227
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 175