Can HMRC listen to your phone calls and look at itemised phone records?
My brother told me that HMRC can listen to phone calls and use the information to seek other evidence in the case of general tax evasion. He said HMRC went all the way to the House Of Lords trying to get permission to use the information as evidence in court or at tribunal, but were told no. He said that they were told they could benefit from the data/evidence in enquiry only, but had to be satisfied with using it to work out what further investigation was needed to get evidence that they could use in court. I thought he was being conspiracyish and that interception is reserved for serious crime investigations.
Up until this weekend I believed that HMRC could ask a taxpayer to produce their own itemised phone bills, if they made business calls from a mobile or land line, and only if the calls formed part of their tax return.
For itemised bills to be intercepted/applied for and recieved by HMRC/or for calls to be listened to I thought a person would need to be committing carousel fraud, gun smuggling, cigarette smuggling, I have googled quickly and found articles that say interception of phone calls, emails and post can be used by HMRC in the case of suspected crime. All evasion is a crime but is usually dealt with under a civil investigation. So where does the actual practise lie and is he right about any of it please?
I have not evaded any taxes myself. I have come across people that appear to and always tell them that if they are doing it, they should absolutely stop. It is my understanding that it is virtually impossible not to leave an auditable trail if you spend any unofficial cash. I am still not sure if that is true.
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 41 2
- How much of your work is admin? 1,138 10
- Cocaine anyone? 224 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,478 22
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 842 26
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 286 4
- ACCA - still making me laugh 477 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 259 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 336 11
- Tax return software for remote working 489 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 565 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 457 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 454 9
- How to purchase business premises? 185 2
- Will I need to resign? 845 10
- Childcare vouchers 197 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 279 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 301 6
- VAT avoidance? 249 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 200 3
- Hive up 477
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 440
- corporate hierarchy 417
- Advice - 250
- Amortisation of Goodwill 225
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 213
- WWOOFers 206
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 196
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 185
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 183