Can HMRC listen to your phone calls and look at itemised phone records?
My brother told me that HMRC can listen to phone calls and use the information to seek other evidence in the case of general tax evasion. He said HMRC went all the way to the House Of Lords trying to get permission to use the information as evidence in court or at tribunal, but were told no. He said that they were told they could benefit from the data/evidence in enquiry only, but had to be satisfied with using it to work out what further investigation was needed to get evidence that they could use in court. I thought he was being conspiracyish and that interception is reserved for serious crime investigations.
Up until this weekend I believed that HMRC could ask a taxpayer to produce their own itemised phone bills, if they made business calls from a mobile or land line, and only if the calls formed part of their tax return.
For itemised bills to be intercepted/applied for and recieved by HMRC/or for calls to be listened to I thought a person would need to be committing carousel fraud, gun smuggling, cigarette smuggling, I have googled quickly and found articles that say interception of phone calls, emails and post can be used by HMRC in the case of suspected crime. All evasion is a crime but is usually dealt with under a civil investigation. So where does the actual practise lie and is he right about any of it please?
I have not evaded any taxes myself. I have come across people that appear to and always tell them that if they are doing it, they should absolutely stop. It is my understanding that it is virtually impossible not to leave an auditable trail if you spend any unofficial cash. I am still not sure if that is true.
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 39 1
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 118 3
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 42 1
- VAT Registration 315 5
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 44 2
- CIS and Close Company 34 1
- should Van be included in plant or motor vehicles? 58 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 211 6
- VAT Option to tax 423 14
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 111 3
- How far back can you get dates of property purchases 49 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,229 19
- husband and wife dividends 398 11
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 140 5
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 304 6
- Sage Instant Accounts 72 2
- LLP members share of profits 564 31
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 161 1
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 270 4
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,175 26
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 903
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 633
- Free Tax Legislation? 393
- Director Loan account operation 393
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 317
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 313
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 217
- Paye procedures for CVA 216
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 177