Can HMRC listen to your phone calls and look at itemised phone records?
My brother told me that HMRC can listen to phone calls and use the information to seek other evidence in the case of general tax evasion. He said HMRC went all the way to the House Of Lords trying to get permission to use the information as evidence in court or at tribunal, but were told no. He said that they were told they could benefit from the data/evidence in enquiry only, but had to be satisfied with using it to work out what further investigation was needed to get evidence that they could use in court. I thought he was being conspiracyish and that interception is reserved for serious crime investigations.
Up until this weekend I believed that HMRC could ask a taxpayer to produce their own itemised phone bills, if they made business calls from a mobile or land line, and only if the calls formed part of their tax return.
For itemised bills to be intercepted/applied for and recieved by HMRC/or for calls to be listened to I thought a person would need to be committing carousel fraud, gun smuggling, cigarette smuggling, I have googled quickly and found articles that say interception of phone calls, emails and post can be used by HMRC in the case of suspected crime. All evasion is a crime but is usually dealt with under a civil investigation. So where does the actual practise lie and is he right about any of it please?
I have not evaded any taxes myself. I have come across people that appear to and always tell them that if they are doing it, they should absolutely stop. It is my understanding that it is virtually impossible not to leave an auditable trail if you spend any unofficial cash. I am still not sure if that is true.
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 509 11
- (help still needed) Accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 151 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 76 1
- Flat rate vat error 310 7
- EC VAT 200 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 510 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 281 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 528 16
- can I claim a per diem 247 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 135 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,367 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 241 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 238 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 78 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 280 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 525 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 843 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 155 3
- Linux Accounting Software 563 13
- RTI due -no broadband 163 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 823
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 503
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 316
- How to format a stock book 281
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 226
- Tax efficient holding company structure 219
- Investment property company accounts template 217
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 210
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 177