Can HMRC listen to your phone calls and look at itemised phone records?
My brother told me that HMRC can listen to phone calls and use the information to seek other evidence in the case of general tax evasion. He said HMRC went all the way to the House Of Lords trying to get permission to use the information as evidence in court or at tribunal, but were told no. He said that they were told they could benefit from the data/evidence in enquiry only, but had to be satisfied with using it to work out what further investigation was needed to get evidence that they could use in court. I thought he was being conspiracyish and that interception is reserved for serious crime investigations.
Up until this weekend I believed that HMRC could ask a taxpayer to produce their own itemised phone bills, if they made business calls from a mobile or land line, and only if the calls formed part of their tax return.
For itemised bills to be intercepted/applied for and recieved by HMRC/or for calls to be listened to I thought a person would need to be committing carousel fraud, gun smuggling, cigarette smuggling, I have googled quickly and found articles that say interception of phone calls, emails and post can be used by HMRC in the case of suspected crime. All evasion is a crime but is usually dealt with under a civil investigation. So where does the actual practise lie and is he right about any of it please?
I have not evaded any taxes myself. I have come across people that appear to and always tell them that if they are doing it, they should absolutely stop. It is my understanding that it is virtually impossible not to leave an auditable trail if you spend any unofficial cash. I am still not sure if that is true.
- Share transfer question 260 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 398 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 192 5
- New Employers Helpline 123 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 212 5
- Overlap relief 715 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,278 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 180 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 185 4
- VAT Query 173 2
- Sacked my first client 643 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 410 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 218 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,264 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 620 11
- Trades and deadlines 140 3
- How to pay national insurance 647 18
- New Website Look 1,075 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 269 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 229 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 426
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 419
- WIP Software 287
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 200
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 197
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 187