Can HMRC listen to your phone calls and look at itemised phone records?
My brother told me that HMRC can listen to phone calls and use the information to seek other evidence in the case of general tax evasion. He said HMRC went all the way to the House Of Lords trying to get permission to use the information as evidence in court or at tribunal, but were told no. He said that they were told they could benefit from the data/evidence in enquiry only, but had to be satisfied with using it to work out what further investigation was needed to get evidence that they could use in court. I thought he was being conspiracyish and that interception is reserved for serious crime investigations.
Up until this weekend I believed that HMRC could ask a taxpayer to produce their own itemised phone bills, if they made business calls from a mobile or land line, and only if the calls formed part of their tax return.
For itemised bills to be intercepted/applied for and recieved by HMRC/or for calls to be listened to I thought a person would need to be committing carousel fraud, gun smuggling, cigarette smuggling, I have googled quickly and found articles that say interception of phone calls, emails and post can be used by HMRC in the case of suspected crime. All evasion is a crime but is usually dealt with under a civil investigation. So where does the actual practise lie and is he right about any of it please?
I have not evaded any taxes myself. I have come across people that appear to and always tell them that if they are doing it, they should absolutely stop. It is my understanding that it is virtually impossible not to leave an auditable trail if you spend any unofficial cash. I am still not sure if that is true.
- Time to ditch Sage? 103 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 234 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 107 2
- Non VAT invoices 107 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 247 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,351 32
- Fees 122 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 233 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 176 2
- Form 17 Download 93 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 534 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 367 4
- HMRC Information notice 983 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 268 3
- Accountant Specialization. 370 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,746 42
- Sage Line 50 169 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 175 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 443 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 389 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 751
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 410
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 297
- S222 Charge 243
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 202
- IP trans to holding company 192
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 180
- AIA 175
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 173