Can HMRC listen to your phone calls and look at itemised phone records?
My brother told me that HMRC can listen to phone calls and use the information to seek other evidence in the case of general tax evasion. He said HMRC went all the way to the House Of Lords trying to get permission to use the information as evidence in court or at tribunal, but were told no. He said that they were told they could benefit from the data/evidence in enquiry only, but had to be satisfied with using it to work out what further investigation was needed to get evidence that they could use in court. I thought he was being conspiracyish and that interception is reserved for serious crime investigations.
Up until this weekend I believed that HMRC could ask a taxpayer to produce their own itemised phone bills, if they made business calls from a mobile or land line, and only if the calls formed part of their tax return.
For itemised bills to be intercepted/applied for and recieved by HMRC/or for calls to be listened to I thought a person would need to be committing carousel fraud, gun smuggling, cigarette smuggling, I have googled quickly and found articles that say interception of phone calls, emails and post can be used by HMRC in the case of suspected crime. All evasion is a crime but is usually dealt with under a civil investigation. So where does the actual practise lie and is he right about any of it please?
I have not evaded any taxes myself. I have come across people that appear to and always tell them that if they are doing it, they should absolutely stop. It is my understanding that it is virtually impossible not to leave an auditable trail if you spend any unofficial cash. I am still not sure if that is true.
- Writing down allowance / AIA 149 6
- What is Tronk System of payroll ? 41 1
- Company name change question... 146 2
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 427 14
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 258 4
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,310 23
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 161 5
- Consolidation IFRS 70 1
- White van man 435 20
- Worried over stock value 221 4
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 119 1
- foreign income 125 2
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 200 9
- Window Comb Binder Cover 306 5
- STUDENT LOAN 108 1
- Bookkeeping question 601 6
- wave software 230 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 360 8
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 253 3
- Backdate C79? 171 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 830
- Copy Wanted 555
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 511
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 490
- Latest phishing scam 350
- Entrepreneurs' relief 323
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 296
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 284
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 281
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 185