Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 810 7
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 343 14
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 689 19
- Dress code 1,208 27
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 702 9
- carry back of gift aid 57 1
- Scottish Independance 459 13
- How to complain about HMRC 969 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 326 8
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 76 2
- NOMINAL CODES 314 4
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 168 2
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 707 5
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 280 9
- Interest relief before property is rented out 228 4
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 371 7
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 424 9
- Sharing of Fixed Assets 106 1
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 250 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,610 27
- CTA study material 746
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 461
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 342
- Employment related securities question 298
- AIM Stocks and IHT 273
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 244
- Expat pension contributions? 238
- Trust for Employee 226
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140
- Wind Turbine - Company or not? 130