Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 405 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 159 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 59 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 623 21
- The importance of Grammar 1,223 34
- Profit split from an investment property 78 4
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,229 34
- Xero Pain Points 475 17
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 276 8
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 835 12
- VAT and Groups 59 2
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 222 7
- Post Budget Disincorporations 1,871 13
- tax saving on card points 174 3
- VAT & Offshore Companies 197 7
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 436 5
- Scissors 799 23
- Mobile phone costs during maternity leave for OMB 291 8
- working from home 1,696 29
- Car leasing 203 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 365
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 317
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 302
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 289
- Electric Car 247
- S222 Charge 216
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 211
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 198
- Company Structure 188
- VAT and customer entertaining 171