Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 462 10
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 20 1
- ACCA qualified but not enough 918 17
- National Insurance. 221 2
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 29 1
- Dividend Vouchers 163 2
- Directors and unemployment benefit 287 13
- Personal Contract Purchase 293 2
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 575 7
- new capital structure ltd with investors 256 3
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 408 8
- Have I made a mistake... 733 6
- Directors need for self assessment? 654 19
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,546 21
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 212 6
- How do you account in the VAT return for 219 3
- Night out allowance 313 2
- Missing accountant! 1,281 5
- Sage Import Data 119 2
- Selling a company asset below market value 270 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 413
- CTA study material 378
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 278
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 256
- Pre incorp expenses 223
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 207
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 196
- Slight twist on employment related securities 186
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 133
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 126