Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 337 6
- Tech Champion of the Year 255 6
- Xmas party 118 1
- Just because it's Friday 290 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,360 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 148 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 107 4
- Capital Allowances 154 4
- equipment rental 219 10
- Acquisition by company 115 5
- Non sequitur 540 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,499 23
- R&D on products not sold 100 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 915 13
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 197 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 646 9
- Transfer of land to family members 98 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 592 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 213 6
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 239 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,366
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 437
- Alphabet shares 241
- Agent fees to sell business 231
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 228
- Charge out rates in London 184
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 169
- which entity 151
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 141