Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 95 5
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 848 26
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 343 7
- Entrepreneurs relief/ Company Secretary 49 1
- Invoice factoring 174 7
- old client has come out of the woodwork 232 2
- Scoot 362 7
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 439 3
- paye scheme very used 229 3
- Operating lease 116 4
- Gifting shares 102 1
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 260 4
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 519 8
- Disclosure query 153 3
- Auto enrolment 298 4
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 285 6
- LLP Accounts format 104 1
- A question about share structure 96 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 231 3
- Top slicing relief question 185 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,468
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 791
- Any views 717
- HMRC Employers Diary 536
- International interest certificate 433
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 403
- Sale of business 363
- NOVA 270
- Advertising services? 265
- IRIS Open Books problem 263