Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Irish Taxation 157 5
- dividend 198 11
- Fee protection 937 18
- overdrawn directors loan 252 5
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 194 3
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 263 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 75 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,203 47
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 94 1
- Telephone call from "Xero" 443 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 134 3
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 146 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 259 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 192 3
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 327 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 520 6
- Drector renting room to company 113 1
- Off site storage 168 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 606 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 262 7
- Xtuple 568
- Qtac payroll for bureau 388
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 343
- Domain name sale and limited company 234
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 212
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 212
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 212
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 183
- Tax on damages received 183
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152