Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 244 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 757 17
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,555 42
- CIC Company 385 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,652 57
- Is this a scam? 758 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 118 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 331 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 237 5
- New company - form a group? 158 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 177 4
- PITA client 221 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 368 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,314 33
- Dividend dates 491 8
- R&D tax credit claim 222 5
- CIS Deductions 272 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 118 1
- is this fraud? 790 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 496 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 347
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 332
- Cancelled 283
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 255
- Probiz 242
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 188
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 156