Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,459 5
- How much does the company pay 62 2
- Help with CGT please 81 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 109 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 308 6
- Benefit in Kind 290 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 319 17
- Will I need to resign? 933 11
- Cocaine anyone? 663 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 255 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 151 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 196 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 180 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 845 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 547 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 717 13
- Personal pension 451 9
- Business rates consultancy 273 4
- Wrong tax code 186 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 112 2
- Hive up 515
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 476
- corporate hierarchy 455
- Advice - 299
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 245
- WWOOFers 240
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 198
- The booking.com con 182
- UK State pension paid in NZ 168