Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 939 40
- Investment from Friend 189 10
- Receipt bank 351 8
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 639 24
- Trading lossess & non trading co & investment income 48 1
- Do we have to register for VAT? 489 10
- Self Assessment and P11D 157 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 343 4
- Company dividends 550 15
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 193 5
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 91 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,184 15
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 172 2
- TRONC scheme 109 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 716 13
- Capital Gains Relief 167 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,616 29
- Identity check problem 1,274 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 218 3
- Business Set up cost 116 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 881
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 582
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 545
- Latest phishing scam 479
- Entrepreneurs' relief 428
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 351
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 326
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 250
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 247
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 172