Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- recompense capital input 207 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,151 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 701 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 77 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 257 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 106 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 234 2
- CT losses carry back 109 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 175 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 773 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 420 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,283 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 158 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 233 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 993 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 221 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 265 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 800
- RTI - duplicate employee record 566
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 337
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185