Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 278 10
- Sole trader hid directorships. 222 3
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,198 40
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 236 9
- Company car without a salary 68 1
- Charity donations 964 21
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 305 13
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 528 11
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,100 20
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 103 2
- VAT on finance leases 171 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 552 10
- CONVERSION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 269 6
- Second Incomes Campaign 225 3
- Goods Purchased for Rental 688 34
- Professional Clearance 1,605 24
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 306 4
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 461 6
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 424 11
- Interflora florist 250 3
- NOVA 502
- Bonus Bonds 385
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 369
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 281
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 250
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 177
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 161
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 140