Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,414 385
- P11D Query 168 5
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 157 6
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 147 1
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 100 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,258 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 516 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 267 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,281 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 129 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 178 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 112 1
- Scottish but not UK 329 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 292 10
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 108 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 445 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 110 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 301 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 430
- National Insurance 332
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 328
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 246
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 153