Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Vat registration 85 2
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 82 5
- Deceased's Tax Return to date of death 165 2
- VAT ON MAINTENANCE PROVIDED TO ESTATE AGENT 20 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 808 36
- Classic cars investment 452 13
- HMRC Uncleared Credit 120 2
- The return of George A? 197 10
- Audit and paypal balances 124 6
- Dividends & S455 116 2
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 237 6
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 206 2
- Transfer of shares to ultimate controlling party 121 7
- Professional Qualification 458 7
- Missing C79 113 4
- Buying fees 586 4
- Tiwan contractor 69 2
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 342 8
- IHT Query 366 7
- Payroll handover information 137 2
- Possible Partnership? 544
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 536
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 473
- New Fangled Penalties 337
- Clubs and Taxable Income 281
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 266
- Loans to other companies 210
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 197
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 168
- Outsource Data Entry 165