Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Dutch Company With UK Employees 27 1
- Subject to tax and NIC? 151 5
- Spreadsheets - electronically owned data?? 188 4
- Just for fun. 982 33
- Spam blocking 687 36
- HMRC don't make it easy! 247 4
- Intercompany advice 204 3
- Does the AR01 reflect the actual money invested in a company 208 9
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 293 9
- Recouping VAT on third-party purchases 134 2
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 303 13
- Is interest still due? 230 4
- Theatre Tax Relief 539 2
- Ex-gratia payments 360 7
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 210 5
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 230 4
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 123 1
- Has auto-enrolment tipped the scales? 299 3
- Excel Instances 145 2
- How to pay national insurance 586 17
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 391
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 390
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 355
- Perkbox 322
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 321
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 278
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 274
- Document Management Systems 260
- WIP Software 245
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 187