Can it be this easy?
My client is a 50:50 shareholder in a building company (A) in which he has a large credit balance upon his director’s loan account; so in effect he ‘controls’ that company which is associated with a small property development company (B) which he owns 50:50 with his wife.
Here’s my plan: extend the year end of company (A) from 31st March 2011 to 1st April 2011 so as to take advantage of the relaxation in the associated companies rules which applies to accounting periods ending on 1st April 2011 onwards. Furthermore, no extra accountancy work to do as accounts may be drawn up 7 days either side of the accounting period. Leave company (B)'s accounting period as 30th September.
The new rules for associated companies state:
- If there is no commercial interdependence between the companies (which there isn’t), then proceed to step 2
- Step 2 says to consider ‘direct control’ of which there is none; ‘direct control’ means before attributing the rights of any associates. So I may ignore husband & wife in company (B)
- So as no commercial interdependence and as no ‘direct control’ ………….then under the new rules ……..neither company is associated.
Hey presto! I’ve saved a sizeable chunk of tax for my client or am I missing something? Readers’ views would be appreciated.
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 42 1
- Not renewing AAT 622 8
- Self-assessment statistics 2,422 56
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,729 51
- New dividend taxation 347 2
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 114 1
- Company car v company allowance 222 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 426 9
- Company formation and bank account 371 9
- Next Move 650 18
- Owning overseas property 308 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 281 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 229 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 689 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 645 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 246 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 418 8
- OneNote is fantastic 582 11
- VAT Direct Debit 393 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 475 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 664
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 391
- 2015 tax year end 389
- FCA regulated company in a small group 344
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 313
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 238
- DTA tie-breaker issue 209
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204