Can a property acquisition be classed as TOGC?
My Client wants to buy a property which they currently use under a lease for their main business and therefore are a tenant. The landlord has opted to tax therefore VAT is being charged.
Can my client therefore buy the property through a holdco and treat it as a transfer of a going concern. I read somewhere that it will effectively be a "rental business" therefore will qualify for TOGC provided all the normal TOGC rules are met. They want to use a holdco because they want to keep the property separate.
If not I was going to suggest that the holdco buy the property and they register for VAT and opt to tax thereby reclaiming the VAT on the purchase price. The subsequent rental will obviously be subject to VAT but the main business can claim that back as they require.
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 779 24
- incorrect old p60 214 4
- Micro-entity accounts 38 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 961 26
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 82 1
- Related party disclosure 110 3
- Inflation and fees 1,273 23
- Company reconstruction 54 1
- Missing tax return 234 3
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 206 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 85 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 126 1
- Advice please! 379 2
- VAT on new builds 144 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 110 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 339 6
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,929 28
- Redundancy Pay 441 6
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 725 6
- Sage Priority Support 124 2