Can a property acquisition be classed as TOGC?
My Client wants to buy a property which they currently use under a lease for their main business and therefore are a tenant. The landlord has opted to tax therefore VAT is being charged.
Can my client therefore buy the property through a holdco and treat it as a transfer of a going concern. I read somewhere that it will effectively be a "rental business" therefore will qualify for TOGC provided all the normal TOGC rules are met. They want to use a holdco because they want to keep the property separate.
If not I was going to suggest that the holdco buy the property and they register for VAT and opt to tax thereby reclaiming the VAT on the purchase price. The subsequent rental will obviously be subject to VAT but the main business can claim that back as they require.
- Bankstream 817 20
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 1,373 29
- Compare 2 lists 1,672 30
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,116 21
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 396 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 632 26
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 167 2
- UK tax on sale of Italian shares 216 3
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 149 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 171 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 200 1
- How to deal with prior year error 203 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 562 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,364 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,069 20
- Tax Calculations 669 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 441 4
- Exemption from CGT 279 2
- VAT Registration 276 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 470 14