Can a sole director company set up a childcare voucher scheme without a PAYE scheme
A new client has set up a company in Nov having been an PAYE with a third party employer before this. Overall earnings in this tax year will fall within the basic rate band but the client doesn't wish to draw a salary from the new company in the current tax year so no PAYE scheme has yet been registered. The client's just emailed me about setting up a directly contracted childcare voucher scheme (under which she would qualify for £55/wk on the income limits).
From what I can see, childcare is only reportable where the amounts paid by the employer exceed the specified limits. Is the company able to enter into a contract for childcare paying within the limits, without having to register for PAYE. This wouldn't have been done under a salary sacrifice so there aren't any payroll implications that I can see. My gut feeling is that is that the company will need to register for PAYE, although I can't see anything in the HMRC guidance (as below) that explicitly refers to a PAYE scheme.
To qualify for the tax relief, four conditions must be met:
A. the childcare voucher or directly contracted childcare relates to care for a child
(a) is a child or stepchild of the employee and is maintained (wholly or partly) at the
employee’s expense, or
(b) is resident with the employee and is a person in respect of whom the employee
has parental responsibility.
B. the care must be qualifying child care.
C. the scheme must be open -
(a) to the employer’s employees generally, or
(b) generally to those at a specific location,
(but where the scheme is provided through salary sacrifice or flexible remunerations
arrangements, this condition will still be met if the scheme is not available to
employees with earnings at or near the national minimum wage).
D. for employees joining schemes on or after 6 April 2011 that an estimate of the
employee’s relevant earnings amount for the tax year must have been made at the
- HELP...historic SSP query! 69 3
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 700 19
- US share sale - income or capital 47 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,348 12
- flat rate scheme 876 30
- Allocation of income from property 315 8
- Capital allowances on residential property? 117 1
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 215 2
- Before I call employers helpline 320 2
- TAX CERTIFICATES- DO THEY NEED TAXPAYER'S NAME? 154 1
- Accountants reference for me?? 290 1
- CIS online 173 3
- Class IV NIC 236 3
- bookkeeping system 241 4
- Company van paid by director 140 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,587 46
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 261 3
- changes to small vat returns after death. 176 3
- Private company division 147 1
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 331 6